Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircooled to Watercooled?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Aircooled to Watercooled? Reply with quote

So there's a guy nearby selling an 81 for change, it looks to be in good condition from his AD. I was hoping that when i got a westy i'd be able to do a bostig conversion on it.

I'm guessing i already know the answer. Putting a watercooled motor in an aircooled is too much trouble, and getting heat/ac to work wold be a bear?

Just wondering.

Next buy: A Westy of some year!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was covered like 3 weeks ago, search it. LOL Twisted Evil
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksbulli wrote:
This was covered like 3 weeks ago, search it. LOL Twisted Evil

Tried, couldn't figure out what to search for OY! Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cannedveggiessuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336287&highlight=aircooled+waterboxer

My opinion would be to purchase a watercooled Vanagon, if thats what you want.
Spend your time and money on a good solid van.
Of course the conversion is possible and has been done.
Unless you already have a AC westy that you just cant part with and must have watercooled. It does not seem to be worthwhile because you will have a bastardized van in the end. imo
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread above is water to air conversion, not air to water.
I'll say the same thing everybody else has, it can be done and has been done, if you already have the van it might be worth it.
If you are buying the van the savings might be canceled out by the extra expense and work.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
The thread above is water to air conversion, not air to water.
I'll say the same thing everybody else has, it can be done and has been done, if you already have the van it might be worth it.
If you are buying the van the savings might be canceled out by the extra expense and work.

Well i was trying to see if i could trade a boat for a van, so beggars can't be choosers. Rolling Eyes

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just wait until I found a nice wbx'er Westy with a blown motor and go straight for a Bostig conversion. Patience is a virtue. If you already had an AC Westy, then go for the water/bostig conversion, but that is not that case.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
I would just wait until I found a nice wbx'er Westy with a blown motor and go straight for a Bostig conversion. Patience is a virtue. If you already had an AC Westy, then go for the water/bostig conversion, but that is not that case.

That's what i'm thinking too (and the voice of my better half)

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terran wrote:

Listen to that little voice.

I met one of the Bostig guys (a finish carpenter from Durham, NH) at Boston Bob's funeral who has a nice white westy all set up but he was telling me that he needs to go to an automatic due to a bad leg. Find him through the Bostig guys. Work out a deal. Good guy also!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Terran wrote:

Listen to that little voice.

I met one of the Bostig guys (a finish carpenter from Durham, NH) at Boston Bob's funeral who has a nice white westy all set up but he was telling me that he needs to go to an automatic due to a bad leg. Find him through the Bostig guys. Work out a deal. Good guy also!

Wish i could, have very little spare money but a whole lot of time ATM.

mhav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terran wrote:

Given the lack of funds, I would get what you can, drive it and have fun. It's going to cost you some $$$'s to do a conversion.

If you use the westy like we do (vacationing, fun) getting there is half the fun even if it is slow.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhav wrote:
Terran wrote:

Given the lack of funds, I would get what you can, drive it and have fun. It's going to cost you some $$$'s to do a conversion.

If you use the westy like we do (vacationing, fun) getting there is half the fun even if it is slow.

Kind of what i was thinking.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: