Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Wiring diagram confusion
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baygirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: 69 Wiring diagram confusion Reply with quote

Re my 69 Bay Camper (Feb.) VIN#239-170-078. Using the Samba tech info for wiring diagrams I would assume to use the 69-70 wiring diagram based on my vin#. But given it's date off the line, and the fact that it is using a 10 fuse panel, it would indicate the 67-68 and 69 diagram.

The wiring behind the dash is no help, the result of too many previous owners' "fix-ups" and I am seeing a 4 pin flasher relay and 9 pin flasher switch. I'm not sure if these were original or changed from the 9 pin relay and 2 pin switch that the 68/69? used. If I stick with the 4 pin relay and 9 pin switch do I need to make any other modifications?

One wire at a time! Thanks for any assistance.
Baygirl

68 Beetle
69 Westie
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the samba Very Happy
and the wonderful world of previous owners!

when i was faced with your same situation ('71) i had to use all three wiring diagrams (69, 70 & 71) to get it straightened out. you've got it though, one wire at a time. sorry, i don't have any specific info on the 9 pin relay as a 71 does not have one--but i'm sure someone does.
baygirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I may just have to weed through this with both diagrams! That the wiring is such a wrong colored jumbled mess makes it all the more confusing right now. I'm looking forward to solving this!

68 Beetle
69 Westie
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had an issue with the wiring diagrams not being true to what was in my bus. I would imagine that there are more wiring variations than the diagrams indicate. Not to mention parts swaps and other general screwing around by previous owners.

On my '69 I have a 9 pin emergency flasher switch and the 4 pin relay, as well. And the 10 fuse fuse-box. I kind of use the 68-69 wiring diagram to figure out how to wire up the fuse-box and the 70 diagram to figure out the flasher switch and the relay. If you pay attention to each component and try to wire it correctly, it should work OK.

Assuming your fusebox is like mine, your "hot" wire (terminal 30) comes in from the battery, through the headlight switch, and on into fuse #9. Your ignition wire (terminal 15) is routed through fuses #1 and #2. Low beams are on #3 and #4 and high beams are on #5 and #6. Keeping this straight helps when trying to convert between the later diagram and the earlier. Make sure you're wiring things to the correct circuit on the fusebox, not just matching the fuse numbers. On the later diagram the fusebox is set up differently.

Of course, this is assuming that no one else has royally fucked everything up before you got the bus.

Make sure you disconnect your battery before you mess around with the wiring.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68-71 switches are all the same- except that the 68 factory switch has wire extension on two wires. if you tape off or clip off the extension ends, you can use a three pin flasher relay of the 71. (if you are not a purist) the topic does not state whether or not the system has problems
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I stick with the 4 pin relay and 9 pin switch do I need to make any other modifications?

If it's working OK now then no, leave well enough alone, the 9 pin box is a PITA.
Do the arrows in the fuel gauge blink when the signals are on?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
baygirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started with this, yes, there were problems... when the white wire was connected to the 4 pin relay, with the ignition switch off, it buzzed and turn signal switch smoked! Not good. Once the ignition was turned on the buzzing stopped. Also, the turn signals worked when the ignition was off. (I may be confused, but it doesn't seem that they should be hot all the time?!) Didn't like smoking turn signal switch, so replaced it with another German switch. Seems to be ok.

OK, with the ignition switch on, emerg. flasher worked, headlights and taillights worked, brake lights worked, LEFT directionals worked, but RIGHT directional blinked rapidly. Pulled out 4 pin relay, it rattled alot. Figure it's cooked. And, no, the arrows on the fuel gauge did not light up and blink.

Tried using 9 pin flasher relay, then realized I had a 9 pin flasher switch... oops, backtrack...bought a new 4 pin flasher relay from NAPA.

At this point, I took a closer look at the wiring and saw that some of the wiring was bad, loosely taped melted wires (aargh) ...cleaned that up, replaced, repaired and fixed connectors... still having trouble with the fact that the wire colors are very much messed up. Then back to square one. Will start again on Monday re-wiring and testing. I'll move forward with the new 4 pin relay and work with both wiring diagrams, watching that the fuse panel connections/fuses are correct.

Yup, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before playing with wires!!

Thanks for helping! I'll update as I move along.
The only way to learn is to DO IT!

68 Beetle
69 Westie
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type2.com has a number of diagrams different from what you see here...
baygirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll check the site.

68 Beetle
69 Westie
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for the chance to use this image, and this seems like my best shot:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those little puppet guys in the workshop manuals know what's up: always check your wiring diagram!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pic, is that Jack from Jack in the box in a former day job when he still had hair?
The wiring diagram isn't too much help if a PO has used any color wire available though.
Go through a number of diagrams at type2.com and thesamba, any VW after 1970 uses the 4 pin relay on all systems and hazard switch wiring is the same too. Sounds like there's some wires mixed up on the hazard switch, it should get battery power (#30) and ignition power (#15) and what is sent to the flasher from the + terminal depends on if it's pulled out or not, the terminal #'s are on the switch and on most Geman flashers. No the signals shouldn't work when the key is off but the one side blinking faster is a separate issue, most likely a bad bulb or ground in a light socket or the signal switch (which it sounds like you already have experience with). A buzzing relay is often a short in a light fixture or the wiring to it, but if it does it all the time (in your case) or both ways suspect 49a (black/white/green).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
baygirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha - Mr. Bill's father! - Duh- the obvious diagram is what I've been looking for all along!! How did you know that what I needed more than anything was a great laugh!

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and guidance. Couldn't do it without you all. I'll post back when I'm a bit further along.

68 Beetle
69 Westie
baygirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Today was a good day! The wiring is nearly finished and the turn signals are now working along with just about everything else. Still have to figure out why the horn isn't working and wire up the dome lights.

The one thing I couldn't get sorted out are the turn signal lights on the speedo. The lights do work as they blink green when the hazards are on, but that 4th pin on the relay doesn't seem to function as it should. Not sure if the newer relay is the problem or what. Not a biggie if I have to live without them. As long as the folks outside the car know which way I'm turning I'm a happy camper!

You all have been a great help!

68 Beetle
69 Westie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: