Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How does your Thing drive?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: How does your Thing drive? Reply with quote

I have only ever driven our 1973 Thing and not another one. How does your Thing drive? Other members of my VW club that have a Thing say the same as I do, that it moves around when going down the road? Our old Corvettes do the same thing because of the small tires. Are all Things the same way?? I have had my front end rebuilt and it still moves from side to side on the road. Thanks for any input.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How does your Thing drive? Reply with quote

Eric Goodman wrote:
I have only ever driven our 1973 Thing and not another one. How does your Thing drive? Other members of my VW club that have a Thing say the same as I do, that it moves around when going down the road? Our old Corvettes do the same thing because of the small tires. Are all Things the same way?? I have had my front end rebuilt and it still moves from side to side on the road. Thanks for any input.

What tires are you running, and at what pressure?
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handling has always been my biggest gripe with this car, but mine doesn't move from side to side when going down the road. That doesn't sound right at all. I mean unless an 18-wheeler blows by me, and then all bets are off! You say you had the front end rebuilt? Including the steering damper and steering coupler? A worn out damper and/or steering coupler will probably give you some wobble. What condition are your ball joints in?
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How does your Thing drive? Reply with quote

Eric Goodman wrote:

No offense intended, but that description is a little too vague for me to really understand what is going on. Is your Thing wandering around in your lane when you are driving? In other words, when you hold the steering wheel steady, does it take its own path (within limits)?

Captain Spalding wrote:
What tires are you running, and at what pressure?

Having said that, I agree with Captain Spalding until I hear more about how it is driving.
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the soft top up and side curtains in (or off) the wind here in Iowa can do a number on ya, semi or no. Much better with the bikini top on or the soft top down convert style.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires are P185/70R14 with 32lbs. I was going to say Wandering but did not think that would explain the movement... Yes, wandering wile driving top on or off and as said if an 18-wheeler or strong wind I really move! I had all the ball joints replaced and all tie rods. Steering was checked and front wheels were aligned. I understand it is not a new car and is 36 years old but I just wanted to get some feedback from other Thing owners since the only other person I asked said yes. Thanks for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try letting about 10 psi out of your front tires and go for a spin. Stock tire pressure is something like 18 front 29 rear. There should be a sticker under your hood that gives the spec. Not that with modern tires you'd want to be right at spec, but it should be in the neighborhood.

Anyway, it's free. Give it a try.
vws-microcars4jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the steering damper replaced? I have had beetles where that made a difference. My thing drives very well and doesn't wander, with all original 1973 components.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend that you follow capt spalding's suggestion.

I dropped my front tyre pressure to 18 PSI and the road handling got much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some caster shims in between the lower beam and frame ($15 and maybe 30 min of your time), then get the car aligned-all 4 wheels. Should be much better tracking on the highway and in residential.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350825&highlight=caster+shims
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a very vague feel too. I think it might be my custom narrow beam and low profile tire.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: re:shims Reply with quote

Did you run one set of shims or did you stack them? And the mounting bolts for the beam do not go through them? Thanks.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one set of caster shims. You just loosen the four main 19mm bolts on the front then jack up the car then loosen remove the nuts on the support bracked that are on each side of the beam, insert s pry bar and pry the lower beam away from the front end and slide the shims in a re-torque. You may have to use smaller bolts or drill out the holes for the side support beams that are Thing specific since you are pushing the bottom of the beam a bit forward with the shims and the holes may no longer work. Takes about 30 minutes tops.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Tire pressures... Reply with quote

Hey Eric,

My 73 will drift in a hard sidewind as well, I heard that’s the nature of the THING Being a box on 4wheels. 18wheelers will cause that.

but If you let go the steering wheel, she will track straight as an arrow.

My THing has been giving me a “hard Ride” , I noticed
At 30, 45, 55, 65MPH, I get different ‘vibrations’ that are pointing to wheel or tire’s And or (bent rim or tire out of balance) issue.

At Kubeltreffen last week or so, I actually noticed the dash vibrating left to right At a certain speeds, I got an up and down feeling at a lower speed, and higher speeds I got the left to right vibration. The slower or faster I went it came and went, very annoying and it’s making the entire ride downright uncomfortable, I cant do more than 1hr or so and it feels like Its beating the crap out of me.

So.
I lowered my tire pressure and it did help a bit, I got 205x75x15’s max press 35psi cold, smoothed the vibrations magnatude, but they are still there.
I was running at 30lbs, dropped all to 28 it did help, but now she’s a little squishy in the Turns (can feel body/tire roll).
I may try going down as far as 9lbs below max pressure But that’s about it.

I used my friend’s suggestion, he works at a local tire shop, he says they put 35lbs in everything they sell regardless of the max pressure, just a business method I guess.
My take is go 9lbs less:
Hence, if 44lbs max cold psi on tire -10pounds would be 34 so 35lbs is 9pounds less.

My tires say max 35psi, so -10=25, I’d prob run (and will try 26lbs).

Dropping from 30 to 28lbs did make a big difference in the ride, but I don’t want to blow a tire or wreck because the low pressure makes the THING drive a bit sloppy in turns (feel the body roll). So I will test 26lbs
and go from there.

I ordered one of those wheel balancing plates, just haven’t got it yet,
My friend went with me to Kubeltreffen, and he mentioned the vibrations feel like my right rear tire, I really think I have a out of balance tire too but feels like all of them!

A local VW shop suggested I do just that, get all 4 balanced, check for out of round tires, Bent rims, etc, he’s had multiple old vw owners (wide 5rims) come in with vibration/alignment complaints
And that’s his first thing to remedy due to the fact that most folks don’t have the equipment to balance wide 5 rims.

Don’t know if any of this info will help you but that’s my take so far.
Please be careful if you drop tire pressure, we don’t need any Firestone/Explorer/THING Rollovers due to low pressures!!

Once I get mine balenced I can let ya know how it goes, should be this week on delivery.

Good luck, Tom.
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: steering adjustment Reply with quote

one other THING i forgot to mention.

on my old mustang, a old mechanic mentioned since its manual steering,
never take all the play out of the steering, any road bumps make
you move the wheel, thus the car will move side to side.

Dont know what your "steering play" is, mine is about 3 to 4 fingers worth
of play turning the wheel left to right before I feel tension.

Just an idea, not sure what the THING's play measurements should be though.

T>
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input on the tires. I will try and let you know....
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires say 35 psi max. I have 32 psi in the tires. Took it for a drive tonight to check the question about the steering... I can move the wheel a few inches with my hand before the tires/car moves. If I let go of the wheel only moves a little. I think the aliment is good so I will try the tire psi going less 6 psi like noted and let you know. Thanks again!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put the caster shims in yet? They are only $12.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=SSL0006&cartid=
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: air pressure Reply with quote

hey Eric,

Max 35 with 32psi, thats pretty close to max pressure, with road heat expansion, it may go to 35 as the tires get hot.

please be careful and feel how it drives, we dont want any accidents from TOO LOW tire pressures,

It may and will drive different.

IF this doenst help, talk to the guys about the caster shims, I havent tryed that yet myself, I'm still playing with tire pressures.

I got my tire balencing adaptor yesterday, but my plans for a saturday wheel bal got scrapped, got a funeral to attend Sad
stay tund as soon as I do I'll let yall know.
T
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Put in the caster shims
2. Balance your tires and wheels
3. Make sure your ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings are in good shape and there is not excessive play in your steering box
4. Get a 4 wheel alignment by someone that knows what they are doing
5. Run the correct wheel pressure-the pressure sticker should be next to the window washer bottle-I forget offhand what is says-something like 18 psi front tires, 26 rear. If you are running near the max rated for each tire then you have way too much air pressure in your tires.

You can lead a horse to water, but...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: