Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side tents
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Side tents Reply with quote

Saw this at the Denver Stock Show and thought I would share!

http://www.tailgatorusa.com/Home_Page.html

It looked really cool and it looked like it would fit a van or even the rear hatch, either way it's a nice alternative!
It's on sale too!
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Reasonably priced as well!
HBSURFDAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I baught the "Walmart" awning discussed here many times. For $30 it was very easy to set up, covered a lot of ground with the posts in, and should be good door covering without the legs. It stood up to VERY strong winds at a centeral Ca surf break over the Turkey day weekend. Just use 2 tie downs per pole. Just my $0.02.
87 Wolfsberg Westy Weekender (automatic)
Rolling on 16's
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you happen to have a Walmart stock number I can have????

(Too time constrained (lazy?) to SEARCH at the moment as I am trying to get a bunch of parts together quickly to do a bunch of upgrades to my Westy in the next weeks.)

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
HBSURFDAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to the Walmart site and type in "Awning". it is the 9ft size that is $30.
87 Wolfsberg Westy Weekender (automatic)
Rolling on 16's
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the walmart special. Works pretty good.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10993394
GriffithBuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a Kelty CarPort and LOVE IT! It packs up really small, easy to assemble, you can tip it down off of the legs if you want to keep the door open and have some privacy/wind guarding using the side flaps. We just stick a pair of fully extended hiking poles out at the ends of it to raise it up off the ground as an awning It's really nice. And I think we got a smoking deal on it from Sierra Trading Post if I recall correctly.

http://www.kelty.com/p-125-carport-deluxe-large.aspx

Jason
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GriffithBuilt wrote:
We bought a Kelty CarPort and LOVE IT! It packs up really small, easy to assemble, you can tip it down off of the legs if you want to keep the door open and have some privacy/wind guarding using the side flaps. We just stick a pair of fully extended hiking poles out at the ends of it to raise it up off the ground as an awning It's really nice. And I think we got a smoking deal on it from Sierra Trading Post if I recall correctly.

Jason

That looks cool. How'd you attach it to the van? Do you have any pics of it installed?

Thanks,

Robyn
GriffithBuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably dig one up, we just used the velcro loops that were integrated into the kelty and hook them onto our Gary Lee roof rack. Works great. When the top is popped we hook the rear velcro loop to the rear pop top hinge and then the front I think we hooked to one of the roof rack cleats. But you could improvise other solutions pretty easily. I can't remember what the instructions from Kelty say.

Ahh yes, I found some - two from when we spent a weekend up at Trillium Lake up by Mount Hood:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GriffithBuilt wrote:

Jason

DANG. You MUST "LOVE IT," that one is 10 times the cost of the Walmart one. We don't need one "that" much.

I simply do not have that much extra money for something I might use once or twice a year. It is nice, no doubt there, though.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
GriffithBuilt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must not have heard what i said about getting it at sierra trading post. i don't remember the price, but I do remember the price differential on the pair of north face snow boots that i got from STP last season - retail = ~$159...my price $49.

And I think there are two different versions - I just found this one, the medium for $100:

http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDetails.asp?Produc...1058450105

Looking at those photos make me want to just pack up the van and drive somewhere right now...it's been my daily driver for nearly two years and I haven't had it camping for nearly a year.

jason
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10 tarp
$8 adjustable poles
$2 rope and stakes
$3 clamps
Been using this for over 5 years now and no problems (occaisionaly high winds can be an issue but in rain it holds up fine)

tent poles retract and fit nicely in the overhead shelf behind drivers seat. Everything else folds up small and fits in an old sleeping bag stuff sack in the wardrobe closet. goes up in less then five minutes. You can adjust the height with the poles. I like to have one side higher then the other for rain roll off and wind blockage

Best part is this is a multi task side awning. I use the clamps to clamp coolant hoses when working, spread the tarp to lay on when working on the van, and the rope always comes in handy for camping type stuff. Multi tool baby!

[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/636805.jpg[img]
[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/636804.jpg[img]

Last edited by candyman on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man I LOATH ropes & strings & tarps and such..

crappy distant image, but hides the DIY homemade job of this 8x12' patio awning on my ASI Riveria, saves me from bringing the EZ-up

and to be on topic a little, I can slide in a endwall into the outer edge of the awning.. but I'd want to add 2 outer leggs to the kit then.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
man I LOATH ropes & strings & tarps and such..

Why? They can be used for some much more then just a side tent like mentioned in my post. I LOATH lugging around a bunch of single task camping equipment that does nothing but takes up space. like an oven Wink

oh yeah I also loath spending a lot of money on things that i can make myself. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh yeah I also loath spending a lot of money on things that i can make myself.

I hope that SA grill was on the van when you got it Laughing
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the tarp thing before,
way to much plastic "shopping bag" noise.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that was for the bigger camping event of the year, I/we travel as a family about 5 vanagons, the oven provided, home made lasagne, texas toast, cinnomon buns in the am and an apple crisp for the pot luck. Wink

normal just me & mine camping there's no oven, and no tarp set up, or dirty tarp roll up, the awning is self supportive and cranks in/out quite easily..a requirement for Mom's camper, else she'd never use a shadyboy or similiar. what I don't have time for is rigging up neck err.. guylines for people/kids/pets to walk into or even worry about.. though I still have to concern about high winds, I just crank it back in %50 or such. easy peasy.

indeed on the money thing.. it's certainly not a Fiamma though I would highly recommend one, these did require some DIY fab to make the mounts.
but when you have 3 campers with 96sqft of unobstructive shade all interlinked into a "U" that's alot of rain & leaves not in your fanks & beans.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy as sin, takes long to setup, poor drainage, but I love it anyway.

Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GriffithBuilt wrote:
must not have heard what i said about getting it at sierra trading post. i don't remember the price, but I do remember the price differential on the pair of north face snow boots that i got from STP last season - retail = ~$159...my price $49.

And I think there are two different versions - I just found this one, the medium for $100:

http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDetails.asp?Produc...1058450105

jason

I absolutely love Sierra Trading Post. I buy most of my clothes and shoes there and all my camping gear. They've been out of the large Kelty Carports for quite a while and was told they really have no way of knowing if they'll get more. I did get the medium one(above) from Sierra a year ago or so to try but it's too small. Because the van is much taller the bottom of the carport is much closer to the body of the van making it sort of useless to me. Of course STP allowed me to return it no questions asked.

82 Diesel Westy
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteveob wrote:
Quote:
oh yeah I also loath spending a lot of money on things that i can make myself.

I hope that SA grill was on the van when you got it Laughing

nope. but when some dbag decided to smash out my front grill and headlights, it was an obvious choice to upgrade Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: