Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance policy for your Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Insurance policy for your Vanagon Reply with quote

I was going thru my insurance policy and asked myself if I should keep the comprehensive and collision coverage for my 90 westy... Last two minor incidents that I had, I didn't get any money after 1000 ded. I can save about 50 bucks/6 mo.if i drop those coverage. What are your thoughts and what coverage do you have?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you drop the coverage. What happens when the van gets hit hard? Are you willing to cough up 5k then to get something fixed? I also carry a 1k deductable, but the $100 a year is very worth it to cover major damage. Let's see, over 10 years it's only a thousand dollars more. Seems well sorth it to me. A 90 Westy is easily worth $12k-$18k. I think you'd be bordering on insane to drop the coverage.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the math. Deductible vs Premium over time. You decide your comfort zone.

Also, is the issue of what sort of policy you have. Stated value vs Agreed value, for example.

There is a lot to consider, especially when you are in this specialty class of insurance. You have a Westy. Plus a later model one at that. Are you sure you are actually correctly covered?

Think about it.

"You have mail (pm)"

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. You guys are so right. I thought I 'd ask. I am considering to switch to Ameriprise that costco offers. I ve been with
alltate for more than 15 years and I admit they have been giving me good rate that even e-surance could't beat. But with Ameriprise,I can save about 400 dollars/6 month for 4 cars with full coverage. Anyone here have experience with ameriprise?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of policy is Ameriprise offering?

I urge you to SEARCH the forums for what others have experienced with this common topic.

-Walt

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Today 12:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What sort of policy is Ameriprise offering?

I got a quote today: 252,000/500,000/100,000 for both bodily injury and uninsured motorist; medical 5,000; comprehensive 250 ded.; collision 500 ded. I am upgrading from 100,000/300,000 to 252000/500000 and collision ded. from 1,000 to 500. And I still can save about 400 bucks/6 mo. I called few body shops around here in S F bay area and Chiropractors to see if they like the way Ameripise handle claims. They all know Ameriprise offer cheaper rate thru costco and agreed that Ameriprise also do good service when it comes to claims. If you are an execututive costco member, go online and get a quote if you can get a good quote.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, I did a express quote for a $25K Agreed Value policy. The express only allows 100/300/50 and up to 10K miles per year. $530 for the single Westy per year. Higher limits of 250/500 can be had for a little more from what I remember when I did it the last time. So it is $44 per month.

What does Ameriprise cost just for the Westy?

vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an agreed value policy? Is that a price that you and the insurance company have agreed upon if your vehicle gets totalled?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjoe wrote:
What is an agreed value policy? Is that a price that you and the insurance company have agreed upon if your vehicle gets totalled?

EXACTLY.

The "agreed value" policy is "no questions asked." That is what they pay.

There are also "stated value" policies where you have to prove to the insurance company it is worth that much. Not so good....

Then there are the regular car policies were the insurance company tells you what they think it is worth. Even worse for such a vehicle.

Westy's are special and need specialty insurance.

targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
vanjoe wrote:

EXACTLY.

The "agreed value" policy is "no questions asked." That is what they pay.

There are also "stated value" policies where you have to prove to the insurance company it is worth that much. Not so good....

Then there are the regular car policies were the insurance company tells you what they think it is worth. Even worse for such a vehicle.

Westy's are special and need specialty insurance.

Thanks for theGood info. r390
The quote I got online was for 159/6mo. that covers 250/500/100 both body/property and uninsured; 5000medical; comp. 250 ded; and collision 500ded. And it s ofcouse base on their view of vehicle's worth.

I am going to get on the phone on monday and ask about agreed value of the vehicle.
In comparison, 1999 lexus rx300 for the same coverage was $267/6mo
Both vehicles are quoted base on about 7000 mile/year
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck.

"MOST" companies do NOT have "agreed value" policies. Best they have is "stated value."

You should consider getting your Westy specially insured.

Please refer to your private mail here on The Samba.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Allstate insurance on my 86 syncro westy. It has a subie motor and lots of other upgrades. Annual policy cost is $440, and I had no comp and collision, just liability.

I called and asked for an Agreed Value policy of $25,000. The agent told me they use a company called Hagerty, and quoted me $461 a year, INCLUDING comp and collision, super deal!

thats a No Brainer!

Thanks for reminding me to look into Agreed Value policy, its a great deal.

Great thread!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Hagerty for classic car insurance on other vehicles. You better make sure you gave them all the correct info. Last time I checked, there were enough restrictions on their policies that the van didn't qualify. I thought they also wouldn't insure a van if it is a camper. Let me know if you find out anything different.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My broker put our vehicles with Allied. We looked at a special upgrade for the Westy - the insurance company told us not to waste our money. They told us to just hold onto all of the receipts for the upgrades and paid labor and if there was ever a need, they would work with us no problem. And yes, I have it all in writing!

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay for your own appraisal, than contact insurance company.
This worked for me with my 87 Westy, appraised for 12K.
When I hit the deer in CO this summer, they coughed up $5500
for the repair, later told me never again, otherwise they would have totaled it for far less.
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I've used Hagerty for classic car insurance on other vehicles. You better make sure you gave them all the correct info. Last time I checked, there were enough restrictions on their policies that the van didn't qualify. I thought they also wouldn't insure a van if it is a camper. Let me know if you find out anything different.

You re right
I just talked to Hagerty agent and they don't have a policy for camper version of the van and mine is too new too( 1990)

I wasn't able to insure it under AARP's hartfort either

NO allstate, NO farmers, no ameriprise.... What else are there?

which stated value or agreed value police do you have your van under?

I just had my van appraised by a licensed appraiser and got 25,000 value out of my van. Good thing he was aware of Go westy.com and the $100,000 van they have sold

$25000 is still cheaper than most of new regular sedans out there. why is it hard to insure under normal insurance company when you are willing to pay the premium for that amout?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: stated value policy Reply with quote

Farmers WILL do a "stated" value policy for the Westy. No problem getting that policy.

But you do need LOTS of documentation (receipts, pictures, appraisal, comparables (websites and for sales etc)) to be able to PROVE to the insurance company that the van REALLY is WORTH what you "state" it is worth.

The "agreed" value policies do have lots of limitations. Some Westys can be insured. I have done it. BUT, BUT, BUT, as above, you MUST meet the requirements. There are not many requirements, but, frequently, a few are tough to meet.

There is also "camper" (campmobile, etc) policies too. Those may or may not be a good fit for the Westy. Depends on the company. (Come to think about it, I will look and see what they want and do a quote for my Westy just to check.)

You can be helped, it is just not as cut and dried as a regular car.

Note to others. Your Westy is special. Be sure you do not just insure it like any other car. If something happens you may be in for a rude surprise. You are warned.

GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there should be a insurance stickie Question
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockfish wrote:
My broker put our vehicles with Allied. We looked at a special upgrade for the Westy - the insurance company told us not to waste our money. They told us to just hold onto all of the receipts for the upgrades and paid labor and if there was ever a need, they would work with us no problem. And yes, I have it all in writing!

no luck finding a right policy for my westy. They don't seem to like the camper version of the vanagon. And my westy is not old enuf...to be an antique. Some companies do ask if the van is garaged all the time but that s not the case with me and I don't like to keep the van in the garage most of the time during the year. I drive my van EVERYDAY and I will continue to drive everyday until I hate it Cool . I found a lisenced appraiser and got $25000 appraisal for the van.Then I called my Allstate agent and told him about the appraised value of the van. He then called claim department and got back to me with this quote came from a senior claims adjuster.

"We would do ACV(actual cash value) That is determined by runninbg the vehicle through our valuation system taking into accout miles, prior condition, etc. We also then try to compare the vehicle to others like it being sold currently at area dealers. it sounds like there probably won't be any other vehicles like this at any dealer around here so it more than likely just be based off of the sytem we use. I don't know too much about the valuation system as I have never used it but I can point you in the right direction if you need more thatn that description. I am sure that our total loss adjusters would take into account the appraisal that he has had done and make sure he keeps any receipts for any "upgrades" to the vehicle.

Since we do have a dealer like Gowesty selling the vans at higher price, I think we are ok with the part that mentionning about local area dealer.
What do you think about this quote? Should I get anything more in wring than above if I continue to keep my van under Alltate with all my other cars? Finding a right policy(agreed value) is not easy as I though.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was shopping around for a broker for Insurance, I really had trouble getting insurance as nobody seemed to know. Finally got something for a vanagon valued at what I paid for it. Next time I will be a much more prepared for dealing with brokers. I appreciate all the information in this thread. thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: