Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vanagon doesnt trip the fuel pump auto-shutoff in time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmdingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: vanagon doesnt trip the fuel pump auto-shutoff in time Reply with quote

when I fill up my 85 Vanagon, the auto-shut-off of fuel pumps trip, but too late. A little fuel spills out afterward.

I'm not versed on fuel systems... is a breather hose at fault? I plan on doing the tank reseal/ new hose routine this spring, maybe that'll fix it.

Anyone had the same problem?
bbbjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the fuel tank reseal and still have the spit back. I've always had it and just make sure I stand back . I admit I have set up a couple of friends by telling them to "stand right here". I have had luck with running the the pump myself and cutting it off when I hear the whoosh. Jim
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fill by gallons, not by dollar amount, and not until completely full.
I think the tank holds 15 gallons total? So by looking at the gauge I always try to leave room for one gallon of air or more.
To answer your question, yes, all mine do that if I let it go until the auto shut off.

David
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a newer fill tube on 88+ vans (I think) that has a ball in the end to keep this from happening. I installed one on my 86 and it never spits gas anymore.
mmdingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thanks thanks!
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How funny. My mechanic and I have been trying to figure this out today. Sounds like the newer fuel fill pipe is the solution--but I've searched GW, Bus Depot and Van Cafe and can't find what I think you're referring to (Bentley says it's the filler pipe? or is if the filler neck? or what?). So Presslab, what is it exactly and where can I find one? Hope we can get to the bottom of this one. I'm tired of fuel burps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the comment about the fill tube with the float ball working very well. I replaced mine recently with one off a 91 from the junkyard and have no problem any longer.
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's off to the junkyard to find one, then? It's what Bentley calls the filler pipe that goes right into the fuel tank, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mmdingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the parts catalog doesnt help... there are two gas filler pipe part numbers listed fro 86-91 and three for 85 & earlier. One of the two pipes under 86-91 says 'unleaded fuel only restriction', so if I had to guess, I'd say that would be it. Doesnt explain the model year breakpoint we're observing here though. anyway, that filler pipe is 251 201 129a
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nozzle shutoff port is on the lower end of the tip. So, as it nears full, you have to lift the nozzle handle upward. This tilts the tip downward where it will be immersed in the liquid as the level comes up the filler. This technique works to make them shut off, but you can't walk away, you have to be there to hold up the nozzle at the end.

This has been discussed plenty around here, the old hands all know it already, I'm surprised no one has "filled" you all in!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TenCent. So I don't need to replace the fill tube, just practice my technique, huh? Certainly a lot cheaper.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, technique is free. Works for me!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the fuel tank reseal; not too difficult but messy for sure. I only splashed gasoline in my face once. I'd done all my reading (thanks Kayakwesty!!) and was surprised by how puny-looking the tank is once you get it on the ground.

I was hoping that the reseal would keep gas from coming out on fillup, but I still got the splash. (After reading this thread I see why.) I was able to fill up to just under 15 gallons. Is that normal? I know the tank is allegedly 16 gallons, so I'm wondering why it would take a full fill-up.

Any luck on finding the fuel filler neck in somebody's NOS? Late model u-pull-it Vanagons are getting very rare in these parts...

Thanks!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just installed the later model filler neck and (at least after a couple fillups) it seems to have done the trick. No more burp. (The "technique" wasn't doing the trick.) I found it in the classifieds--just post a WTB and see what happens. Cheers.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckless Amateur wrote:
Hey, I just installed the later model filler neck and (at least after a couple fillups) it seems to have done the trick. No more burp.

Any part number you can share, and/or visual cues to recognize the right part ? Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the one from the 87 I had and the one I got from a 1990, I think, the newer one had a ping pong ball float at the end which I don't thing the 87 did. If that helps. Very Happy
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckless Amateur wrote:
Comparing the one from the 87 I had and the one I got from a 1990, I think, the newer one had a ping pong ball float at the end which I don't thing the 87 did. If that helps. Very Happy

Almost a mug shot Smile

BusDepot and Frank Condelli have the 251 201 129a part named earlier in the thread. But be sure to be seated before looking at the price...
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
The nozzle shutoff port is on the lower end of the tip. So, as it nears full, you have to lift the nozzle handle upward. This tilts the tip downward where it will be immersed in the liquid as the level comes up the filler. This technique works to make them shut off, but you can't walk away, you have to be there to hold up the nozzle at the end.

This has been discussed plenty around here, the old hands all know it already, I'm surprised no one has "filled" you all in!

A picture is worth a few more words.
This technique also lets the displaced air out of the tank so it doesn't burp up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the nozzle technique but I've never been able to get it to work. Generally what I've always done is slow the gas flow down to a trickle as I'm estimating that the tank is almost full. That's the only way I've found to not have it splash out.

I found a used fill tube from a '90. I'll report back after I've installed and filled up.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:

A picture is worth a few more words.
This technique also lets the displaced air out of the tank so it doesn't burp up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merci Perales.

Haven't tried the technique yet - van smells gas when full, so a reseal is in order, and full fill-ups are to be avoided in the meantime. But if I find the right part at the right price, I'll change it at the same time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: