Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Latest info!

Link: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_global/service/certificate-data-sheets.html

They require quite a bit more information than VW did:
- proof of ownership (scan or photo of registration, purchase document etc.)
- photo of the VIN (must be legible)
- photo of the car itself (at least one)
- owner's ID card (scan or photo with information other than name blacked out)

Additional photos and documents are optional but obviously encouraged.

Older/General information:
You will get an A4 (approx. 8.5"x11") letter that has:
Build date
Delivery date
Delivery Destination
Original colors and upholstery
Optional extras (M-codes)

Notes about the Certificates:
- The service is a voluntary service provided by the museum and not an official VW service.
- The department is understaffed for the amount of requests they receive, which can result in long wait times
- Mistakes can happen with the certificates due to translation problems and inaccurate original lists and documentation. They can often be corrected if you contact them by email.
- Sometimes there is no data available due to the age or condition of the original documentation. You will be refunded for those requests.
- They generally have no data for Brazilian Buses and there is a lack on data for vehicles that came from CKD-production.
- The museum no longer provides the engine number on the certificate but if you provide your engine number in your request, they will verify if it is the original engine.

Sample letter from my 1963 Squareback:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/63variant/letter.jpg

Certificate information from members:
"Built on" doesn't necessarily mean the day the car left the factory line, but the day it passed final inspection ( inspection number eight ) before shipment. Thats what they told me at the museum.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:43 pm; edited 21 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Here is the EASY way to do this. Fill this out and fax it, including your credit card number. I have done this 3 times and have always recevied my certificate within a month.

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Frau Neefe
Dieselstrasse 35
Brieffach 1003
38446 Wolfsburg
GERMANY
011 49 5361 52010

Dear Frau Neefe:

I would like to enquire about the Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen to
research data of an old Volkswagen vehicle from the vehicle database and to draw up a vehicle identity certificate with the recorded data.

The Vehicle Identification Numbers of the vehicle is as follows:

xxxxxx

The car is a 1951 deluxe beetle sunroof.

I understand the price for each certificate is 15 Euro. I understand you
take MasterCard and Visa. Accordingly, please charge my Visa card for the appropriate amount. My card number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (expires xx/xx)

Please send the certificate to:

INSERT ADDRESS

Kindest Regards,

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "birth certificate" is important if you are considering buying an early rag top. Alot of the early cars have been had the sunroof clipped in and the birth certificate will come back an 11C and not an 11G. Spend some time with the research and save yourself alot of grief Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine in the mail today. Very Happy

Here is a breakdown of the time frame involved.

1...Faxed it in Friday 5-6 (after hours) using 2splits supplied form above. I also put my work & home e-mail on the bottom of the form. It turns out this was very important.

2...Tuesday 5-24 I received an e-mail at work from Heike Fendler at the Stiftung AutoMuseum. She informed me that birth certificate was issued on Friday 5-20, but my credit card transaction had been denied. It seems that my credit company (Capital One) had denied the transaction and cancelled my card since it originated outside of the US and I had no prior purchases in Germany. Once I approved the transaction everything was okay. I e-mailed Miss Fendler back that afternoon (again after hours their time) and explained the situation and requested she try the transaction again.

3...Wednesday 5-25 I received an e-mail from Miss Fendler saying the tranaction was approved. My credit card was billed for 25 Euro (new cost). The exchange rate on that day was $31.32.

4...The birth certificate was post marked on Saturday 5-28 and I received it today Tuesday 5-31.

Besides the credit card mix up it couldn't have gone any smoother.
I inquired in one of the e-mails that I may be requiring another certificate and asked if she prefered it to be done by fax or e-mail. She said it could be done by e-mail, so here is her e-mail address.

[email protected]

slafa wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated even if they suck and are stupid.

Last edited by John Miller on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
dpeters60ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update to the information posted at the top of this Topic.

The Birth Certificate will ONLY be processed by credit card.

I sent them a Bank Draft/Certified Cheque (in EUROS) and it was promptly returned to me along with a request for Credit Card only.

- Doug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfan4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work with a Transporter as well? I've got a friend who wants to find out where his 13 Window came from.
1966 Type 1 Sedan(The Green Hornet)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfan4life wrote:
Will this work with a Transporter as well? I've got a friend who wants to find out where his 13 Window came from.

Yes. Any VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yelirt5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: VW Birth Certificate Reply with quote

Has anyone done this lately? I've faxed them, emailed them, and no response, no charge to my card at all. Have they stopped doing providing the birth certificates?

Thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent away for another one on 8-2. I received an auto reply to my e-mail stating that Ms. Fendler was out of the office until 8-8. I checked this morning and they have not charged my credit card account yet. I believe that the normal turn around time is usually 4-6 weeks.

slafa wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated even if they suck and are stupid.
hotvw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going so good for myself. I was charged on my visa 25 euro on June 8 2005(today being August 23 2005) and have not received any letter or email stating that anything has been done. I just sent an email today to see what the issue is so we will see.
novablue69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clue me in. Why buy a birth certificate for your car? The VIN number can tell you all you need to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novablue69 wrote:
Clue me in. Why buy a birth certificate for your car? The VIN number can tell you all you need to know.

Look at the link to one of the letters in the first post. It gives you a lot more than the VIN #.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novablue69 wrote:
Still seems like a scam to me Exclamation

The Porsche Cert. of Authenticity $116. No that is something to bitch about.
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soysauceuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one directly from the wolfsburg museum, took about 6 weeks to arrive in post , but worth the wait i'd say Very Happy
vitwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the lastest reply from autostadt museum....

We are pleased to research data of your Volkswagen and to draw up a birth certificate with the recorded data regarding original engine, colour, date of manufacture, port of destination...

The price for this service is 25 euros which you have to pay „cash with order“, please. Our terms of payment are cash or via Visa/Mastercard – card number and expiry date.

Our bank account
Volksbank Wolfsburg
BIC: GENODEF1WOB
Konto / IBAN: DE32 2699 1066 0811 8400 00

or you send the credit card number via fax,
our fax number is +49 - 53 61 – 5 20 10.

We need to know the chassis number of your vehicle, the name of the vehicles‘ owner and the complete address where we should send the certificate to.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Christine Neefe
AutoMuseum Volkswagen

Dieselstrasse 35
D – 38446 Wolfsburg

For the research we need 4 – 5 weeks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daves68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Birth Certs Credit Cards Reply with quote

If you want the process to go smoother, call your credit card company ahead of time and tell them to expect a one time German transaction for approx. $XX Euros.
They should put a note in your file and the charge should slide through.

If you really want to protect your account, after the charge goes through, call them back and ask them to remove the note and disallow foriegn charges (unless you do that alot) Shocked

(Be glad they check - enough scams in state, no less international!) Rolling Eyes
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got it today!!! Very Cool! However, I'm a little puzzled. It says it was originally destined for Belgium? Shouldn't it be a Euro model? Heres a pic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=228582

Anybody know what those M codes are for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
So I got it today!!! Very Cool! However, I'm a little puzzled. It says it was originally destined for Belgium? Shouldn't it be a Euro model? Heres a pic.

It could be anything from carpet color to color of running board mats, or fender beading. According to the fine folks at wolfsburgwest, black was not the color that was originally used for fender beading and running boards. If anybody can help, those guys can. Go to their website and check out their color charts first.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:

There's a list of M Codes here on the Samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php

None of yours are listed though.

Probably the most interesting thing about your beetle was the fact that it was shipped as CKD (completely knocked down) or "Kit" from the factory for assembly later.
Vwboy72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: My request for Birth Certificate Reply with quote

I requested a Birth Certificate through E-mail at the Musem site. I used a German based credit card (I have a German friend). I sent the E-mail to them on Monday October 10th. On the 11th I sent an E-Mail asking if they have recieved my order. Today on the 13th I get an E-mail from them.

This is to confirm that we have received your enquiry regarding birth certificate. We need approximately 6 to 8 weeks for the research.

Regards

Susanne

Yours sincerely,

Susanne Wiersch

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Dieselstr. 35
Brieffach 0903

D-38446 Wolfsburg

Tel. 00 49 53 61 92 49 54
Fax 00 49 53 61 5 20 10

e-mail: [email protected]

So Maybe by Christmas I'll have it. Not being sarcastic..Though it sounds like it.
Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 61

Jump to: