Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add Reply with quote

When I started my TDI conversion gathering all the info was somewhat of a nebulous undertaking so I thought it would be good to get a sticky going that would supply some info that seems to get rehashed fairly often. Here's a start, please add suggestions links etc.

Someone with more knowledge could add what engine codes are best for a vanagon application. 1z/AHU, ALH,BEW etc... in a van vs doka/sinka 50 or 15 degree install.

Quality German:
http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/
Groschi on the Samba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Groschi
Karl:
http://www.westyventures.com/
Justin:
http://www.greaseworks.org
Kennedy Engineering:
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
EuroSpec:
http://www.eurospecsport.com/products/Vanagon/Vanagon%20Page.html
Harness mods:
http://www.hasenwerk.ca/

Blogs:
Wildenbeast(the highest concentration of info in one place):
http://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vwvanagon
TDI Vanagon conversion group, lots of info that is difficult to find/search and spread out, best to just start reading the archives.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion/

1. Preferred method>
Diesel vanagon bellhousing/TDI flywheel and PP/vanagon 228mm clutch
disc, DV starter, diesel fuel tank (to clear top mounted starter)

More detail: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402284
1) Stock 1Z/AHU flywheel - the same diameter overall (ring gear). The only downsides are that the starter nose may/may not contact the flywheel's outer diameter, and several of the oil pan bolts cannot be removed without first removing the flywheel (shold the pan ever need removing). I think that was why one person mentioned machining the flywheel. It's actually simpler to remove a minute amount from the nose of the starter for the necessary clearance.

2) VR6 Jetta 228mm pressure plate - will handle torque up to around 230 ft/lbs and bolts right to the TDI flywheel. As mentioned, there are two tabs the jut outward; carefully tap those flush with the plate from where they were formed.

3) Clutch disc: use the 228mm HD 2.1 wbx disc. Or, if you want to spend a little more, HA Projekt in Germany sells an excellent replacement trans input shaft that allows one to use the TDI disc.

OR

Kennedy adapter setup which includes adapter plate/flywheel/pressure
plate and disc; and TDI starter plus adapter plate from westy ventures. Uses your current bell housing with the starter on the side.

2. DV oil pan and pick up tube, DV dipstick tube, TDI or DV oil pump
3. DV aluminum engine brackets and rubber mounts, custom drivers side bracket from grease works if using stock ex manifold.
4. If flipping the stock turbo to higher position (read archives) you will need a 3 bolt AAZ exhaust manifold and adapter plate (CNC shop can make for about 75$)
5. DV coolant hoses.
6. Engine with ECU and harness if going electronic, mechanical IP if
going without electronics.
7. DV carrier bars, seems like the fully rigid type are preferred (some have rubber isolator on one end). Preferred method is to use Syncro TD carrier bars but spaced out (lowered in front by 2“) 2wd bar swill work.
8. TD or TDI or Donaldson air filter box
9. Probably want to get an intercooler set up, could be air-air or
air-water (siliconeintakes.com).
10. Probably want to regear/rebuild tranny with taller gears (aatransaxle.com)
11. Diesel tach (mid 80s Jetta diesel) or converter for gasser tach (vwdiesel.net or vwvortex.com for sale ads).
12. New exhaust system
13. Glow plug wiring and indicator in dash.
14. Boost/EGT gauge (McNallyelectronics.com)
15. Modified skid plate protection
16. New radiator if yours is still original!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add, but cool post!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything different if you have an auto trans?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost makes it look easy Cool
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
6. Engine with ECU and harness if going electronic...

You'll also need the "gas" pedal assembly (throttle is drive by wire).

IMO, while you have the wiring diagrams out just bite the bullet and set up the ECU controlled cruise control, it is a very nice cruise control, and will obviously never run out of vacuum. My van has a VSS generator from David Marshal, who no longer is selling parts, but I saw somewhere recently that they are still available somewhere else, anyone kno of the site I'm referring to?

More details of the cruise control "install" here.

fairweather wrote:

10. Probably want to regear/rebuild tranny with taller gears (aatransaxle.com)

transaxleengineering is another option, especially for those in southern California. He rebuilt my trans with taller 3rd and 4th gears along with replacing all the other parts that were worn out, I was kind of nervous about availability of parts for the 091, but he had everything that was needed Cool

While the TDI is going in I would also install an oil cooler, without one my oil pressure would drop off more than I liked, with one I run ~200*F of oil temp and have about 20 PSI per 1000 RPM Cool .

Oil coolers are not all that easy to fit, some people have had good luck with replacing the stock unit with the larger PD 150 oil coolers/heat exchangers, but Libbybapa has not had success with them (IIRC) so I'd do some research there before buying one. I have an oil to air oil cooler, with a thermostatically controlled fan, and a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate that goes between the oil filter and the engine, fwiw.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a VSS sensor from Greaseworks along with the cruise control stalk. This puts the turn signal switch in a slightly higher location than the Vanagon one, but works fine. I also just adapted the all in one fly by wire pedal to work with the stock Vanagon pedal. Much more comfort.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you would NEED to use the 83 diesel engine bars
and a KEP adapter plate & flex plate as the AT trans does not have a removeable bellhousing.

jeremysmithatshawdotca wrote:
Is there anything different if you have an auto trans?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this info, I'm sure it will help the future TDI convertees.

I'm in the process of installing an 03 ALH TDI into my Doka. It's coming along nicely and should be driving in a few weeks.

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:

I'm in the process of installing an 03 ALH TDI into my Doka. It's coming along nicely and should be driving in a few weeks.

Eric

Any go-fast goodies??
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go fast goodies, like a 1.18 3rd gear and a .77 4th ? I had Daryl put those in, along with the TDI starter adapter from Karl M.
The ECU is on it's way back from the tuner, with hopefully 130hp, and no immobilizer. He also put the VIN number from the Doka in the ECU so it shows correct in VAG COM.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, who did you have do the ECU tuning?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Go fast goodies, like a 1.18 3rd gear and a .77 4th ? I had Daryl put those in, along with the TDI starter adapter from Karl M.
The ECU is on it's way back from the tuner, with hopefully 130hp, and no immobilizer. He also put the VIN number from the Doka in the ECU so it shows correct in VAG COM.

Right on! What injectors? Auto or manual tranny engine injection pump? 130/220ish is where I want to be with mine, should be the prefect balance of TQ & low stress. Ok numbers for the VR PP if it can be kept dry, long term replacement might be something from south bend.

Any pics around of your build?
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:

Eric

so are doka/sinka installs all at 15 degrees for any engine code?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Oil coolers are not all that easy to fit, some people have had good luck with replacing the stock unit with the larger PD 150 oil coolers/heat exchangers, but Libbybapa has not had success with them (IIRC) so I'd do some research there before buying one. I have an oil to air oil cooler, with a thermostatically controlled fan, and a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate that goes between the oil filter and the engine, fwiw.

The lack of success I've seen with oil to coolant exchangers controlling oil temps has been with IDI engines and most assuredly from their increased load on the cooling system (+35%?). I know of several who have tried fitting larger oil to coolant exchangers, including myself, and I don't know of anyone who has seen any significant effect on peak oil temps on extended grades on IDI engines in vanagons.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
Tristar Eric wrote:

Eric

so are doka/sinka installs all at 15 degrees for any engine code?

No, there are certainly 50° installs, but the doka/sinka engine compartment is significantly taller and so fitting a 15° doesn't result in the same engine lid interference issues.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are trying to put together a sticky, but it seems to be drifting. I noticed this on ebay. If someone is considering the 5 cylinder engine. This bellhousing would be a good place to start. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Bus-Vanagon-Afri...19ba3fb7fc I have no affiliation with this seller.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion parts/suppliers list, please add Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
jackbombay wrote:

The lack of success I've seen with oil to coolant exchangers controlling oil temps has been with IDI engines and most assuredly from their increased load on the cooling system (+35%?). I know of several who have tried fitting larger oil to coolant exchangers, including myself, and I don't know of anyone who has seen any significant effect on peak oil temps on extended grades on IDI engines in vanagons.

Ahhh, IDI vs TDI, I know a guy with a PD 150 oil cooler in his ~150 HP E-TDI vanagon and he said his oil temps never go above 210* F but I don't know where he is measuring oil temp, fwiw.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My website has all my good parts suppliers listed. One thing I can't stress enough is to stay away from the turbos and injection pumps sold under these websites;
http://www.volkswaparts.com/
http://emiata.com/
http://www.dieselvw.com/
http://www.turbosandparts.com/

On ebay and forums, he is known as prothe. prothe = crap parts. I learned the hard way...
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a TDI my 89 yesterday. It took close to a year to get this far. I hope to have it at least idling in the next 10 days. http://www.ha-projekt.de/ is also a site you should add to your list for some obscure Vanagon tdi parts.

Last edited by outwesty on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWZigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: