Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resale Value Of Zetec, Subaru, Other Converted Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Resale Value Of Zetec, Subaru, Other Converted Vanagon? Reply with quote

Wondering -

What is the resale value of a Zetec'd Westy? Of engine-swapped vanagons generally?

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the stuff I pulled out of the Westy (engine w/ blown head gasket, wiring, ECU, tins, etc) in order to restore the WBX before selling it, or if it should sell just fine w/ the Zetec. Not that I have any plans to sell.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all relative to the buyer. Me personally I wouldnt not buy another unless it was already converted to exactly what I want. But there are people out there that want trailer queens as well. Thats the great thing about the van there is such diversity in ownership. There really is something for everyone.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value Of Zetec, Subaru, Other Converted Vanagon? Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
Wondering - What is the resale value of a Zetec'd Westy? Of engine-swapped vanagons generally?

I'd guess a well done and operational engine conver, especially more mainstream like a zetec or subie or tdi, would enhance the resale value but it's whatever the market will bear at any given time. Potential buyers may be partisan to certain engines. Other factors like the condition of the rest of the westy and the region you live in can have a bearing. Getting precise on this is difficult so maybe tracking what others sell for on theSamba and other sales sites would give a better idea.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a potential buyer I would want to know why anyone went to the expense of doing a conversion and then put the bus up for sale. My assumption would be that there were unsolvable problems with the conversion.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually noticed any sales of converted Westies. Does anyone know of some that have changed hands, and the prices?

My general theory is that people who want converted Westies (or other vanagons) are more likely to be gearhead/DIY/Vanagon-experienced types who are prone to pay less, since they have the option of converting a van themselves, making sure it is "done right", and can assess the van's condition themselves w/o using a mechanic.

Seems to me less gearhead shoppers might be more dependent on their local VW mechanic and, AFAIK, most shops are leery of DIY conversions. Why wouldn't they be - suppose you're the average VW shop faced w/ a Subie converted Vanagon, what are you going to do? You don't know Subies, don't have the manuals, there's no wiring diagram to consult, etc. Unless you happen to work on Subies too. What shops work on both VWs and Fords?

Thoughts? Maybe I'm too skeptical?

I don't expect that my Zetec conversion has helped the value of my van any, and I don't care - would just as soon declutter my garage of the old stuff - unless it is really important to keep it.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If I were a potential buyer I would want to know why anyone went to the expense of doing a conversion and then put the bus up for sale. My assumption would be that there were unsolvable problems with the conversion.

Loss of job ? Abducted by aliens ? Shocked
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other logical question is, assuming I decide to get rid of the WBX engine, whether I should sell it as non-op, or fix it then sell it. What does a WBX 2.1 w/ 135K miles and a bad head gasket go for? What might it go for if the head gasket is fixed but the engine isn't otherwise overhauled? What's my time worth . . .
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1.6NA was converted to a 1.6 TD Smile....I didn't buy it until about 8 years after the swap Wink

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems ridiculous to do a swap, then put the WBX back in if you wanted to sell. Someone will always prefer the swap, so keep it in there. I would sell the wbx motor for whatever you can get. Personally I don't think it's worth rebuilding to sell it unless you have it done by a shop that offers a warranty. I would want to hear an engine run if I were going to buy a used engine. You might be able to get $200-300 for the engine as is.

That's my $0.02.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
My general theory is that people who want converted Westies (or other vanagons) are more likely to be gearhead/DIY/Vanagon-experienced types ....

I've had three subie 2.5L convers done and I'm not a gearhead.

jyl wrote:
Seems to me less gearhead shoppers might be more dependent on their local VW mechanic and, AFAIK, most shops are leery of DIY conversions.

In my berg we have two subie shops that will work on it plus perhaps 5 or 6 individuals.

jyl wrote:
I don't expect that my Zetec conversion has helped the value of my van any, and I don't care

If you live in Buttucks, TX, I'd say that may be true. Otherwise, if the rest of the westy is in good shape then here in the PNW it would increase the value over a stock wbxer.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys make good points.

So, anyone in PDX looking for a 2.1L WBX engine w/ bad head gasket, plus assorted Digifant, engine harness, coolant tank, and so on . . . Smile
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
So, anyone in PDX looking for a 2.1L WBX engine w/ bad head gasket, plus assorted Digifant, engine harness, coolant tank, and so on . . . Smile

> Post on Pdx Craigslist with pics.

> Ask for what you hafta have plus some - be flexible.

> Do it sooner rather than later. More and more doing conversions now so value of wbxers may go down. Same thing happened to 14" carat alloy wheels - everyone gradually switching over to 15" or 16". Ten years ago I could sell the 14" alloys for $650 a set. Now I'd be lucky to get $350.
GeeZ12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just knew this was going to be an ad disguised as a thread - There is an ad section in this forum.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value Of Zetec, Subaru, Other Converted Vanagon? Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
Wondering -

What is the resale value of a Zetec'd Westy? Of engine-swapped vanagons generally?

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the stuff I pulled out of the Westy (engine w/ blown head gasket, wiring, ECU, tins, etc) in order to restore the WBX before selling it, or if it should sell just fine w/ the Zetec. Not that I have any plans to sell.

Hi

So that I do not drift away off thread, you said "westy" then "Vanagons" generally ?

Assuming Vanagons generally, to me at least there are the customary two answers ... Yes and No.

1.- NO

I would not want a Vanagon with the *original VW motor* for free
and I equally would not want a TIICO converted Vanagon for the same sublime price.
Before the stoning begins *I'll say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the two wonderful above mentioned fine examples of marvelous feats of engineering. Just not for me Wink

2.- YES

I would pay a premium for a Subaru or Zetec converted Vanagon.

*diplomatic disclaimer.

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you reinstall the wbx just to please an OE zealot, then don't forget to include the hand crank. [model t reference,{antiquated}]
subaru, zetec, why would you go back? these are huge progress in vanagonia. they enhance value. without a good powerplant, the van is a
potting shed. the bad conversion is correctable. you start from a higher place than the wbx. you can just replace the wiring, which is the hardest part. theres a guy to ship it off to who will make it rihgt and test it if you dont wanna. conversions save vanagons from the junk yard.
we preserve the best of automotive history here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Dude*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:

In my berg we have two subie shops that will work on it plus perhaps 5 or 6 individuals.

Care to name names?
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure how much premium there is on "originality" in the Westy or vanagon world.

Other vehicles I've owned or looked at, swapping in a non-stock motor usually hurts the value. Think Jag XKE w/ Chevy V8, etc.

But perhaps the love for the WBX is not quite so, err, universal and/or Westys are about function not purist/collector vehicles.

Also, sorry, I wasn't trying to make this an ad, that "anyone want" comment was a joke.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 17k for my 2wd westy with a zetec in it and have seen other examples of zetec westys with similar asking prices.
And fwiw I got around 15 offers in the 14-16k range.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends upon the:
1. Quality of the conversion, and
2. Quality of the Westy.

I saw a premium Subaru Syncro Westy going for $30K, and I had a friend that bought a non-Westy camper with a Subaru 2.2L in it for around $2K. But it had rust, some engine issues, and other things to be done.

I look at an engine conversion as just another part of the whole picture of what a van is worth, which, as shown above, can vary drastically. A conversion in itself will not typically net the amount of time and money one puts into the conversion, but it will enhance the value of the van.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyl wrote:
I wasn't sure how much premium there is on "originality" in the Westy or vanagon world.

Other vehicles I've owned or looked at, swapping in a non-stock motor usually hurts the value. Think Jag XKE w/ Chevy V8, etc.

But perhaps the love for the WBX is not quite so, err, universal and/or Westys are about function not purist/collector vehicles.

Vanagons are in a different category from sports cars and you're right, it's about functionality. Modifications and upgrades are welcomed as long as they aren't molestations.

There is nothing wrong with the waterboxer and for some applications like running around town it's fine. But it was always underpowered and now has become old with some parts getting harder to find. When their wbxer's come to the end of their life people are simply investigating the numerous alternative modern engines which the vanagon lends itself to so well and also helps keep them alive. People are seeking this modernity and performance --- not so much for super high speed as many think but improved reliability and better power/torque to vehicle weight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: