Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you convert Power Windows to Manual Hand Crank?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klenze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: How do you convert Power Windows to Manual Hand Crank? Reply with quote

Anyone know how-to convert Power Windows to Manual Hand Crank operation? I have a 1990 Carat with non-functional driver side power window. I would like to go manual due to repair cost and unreliabilty of power windows. Any pointer to any online step-by-step resource would be appreciated. I’ve searched the forums and google to no avail. Thank you.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the complete manual window regulator and the door panels are different too. It isn't difficult. Take off the door panel, remove the inner and outer scraper and the front window felt channel so that you can remove the window. Once the window is removed then you unbolt the regulator and remove it. The install is just the reverse.The bentley has the procedures.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Find a donor door and switch all the internal componants. You can use the same door panels, you'll just need to fabricate a plug to fill the holes left by the switches. That, or keep the switches and use them for something cool.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You send me your power stuff and I send you manual stuff times 2 so if you blow it you can try again. Know how to PM?
datsnice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Debating trying the repair on the plastic guides, and rewind the wheel, or just scrap it now and switch to manual! I'd love to see a description or, even better, pictures!

I'm wondering where the window crank "gears/cogs" attach to the door panel on the manual vanagons. Seems like it would be easy to put taht together and plug the holes from the power window switches.

Anyone out there care to post? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lisihowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read something along the lines of this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432102
or
this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406728

these might help out a bit, though neither 100% answers the question
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be trying this next week once my manual regulators arrive from Gowesty
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine, to minimize the chances of failure, chose to make his driver's door window manual...but kept the passenger side power.

He has 1 power window switch (center) on the dash.

Best of both worlds.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: How do you convert Power Windows to Manual Hand Crank? Reply with quote

klenze wrote:
Anyone know how-to convert Power Windows to Manual Hand Crank operation? I have a 1990 Carat with non-functional driver side power window. I would like to go manual due to repair cost and unreliabilty of power windows. Any pointer to any online step-by-step resource would be appreciated. I’ve searched the forums and google to no avail. Thank you.

Want to trade? The PO of my van did the reverse and I want the power windows back now. I'm in the East Bay (North Berkeley area). PM'd you just now..

Last edited by syncroid on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a land where maybe 1 in five hundred vans have electric windows, I'm amazed at this thread. Sure they're all getting old and some need attention now and again, but surely the spare parts situation in the US must be a thousand times better for you than us. I'd never consider getting rid of the power windows in my van. Just live with them inop until such times as I could find the required bits to fix them again.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beelzibus wrote:
In a land where maybe 1 in five hundred vans have electric windows, I'm amazed at this thread. Sure they're all getting old and some need attention now and again, but surely the spare parts situation in the US must be a thousand times better for you than us. I'd never consider getting rid of the power windows in my van. Just live with them inop until such times as I could find the required bits to fix them again.

Power window regulators are not available new.

Switches are expensive.

There are some fixes to make them work again.

But we are spoiled here as the electric windows in most, cars here, except German ones, all seem to work almost flawlessly. I am pretty sure the Germans have not figured out to make good electric windows yet.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted to manual regulators on my old '88 GL, but wish to keep PW on my current rig. Given that new PW regulators are apparently no longer available, it might be worthwhile to explore the possibility of donor vehicles of the VAG and off-brand variety. It's been a while since I looked, but I think the rear regulators on MB 124 chassis cars are very similar to Vanagons.

Part#s

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It's been a while since I looked, but I think the rear regulators on MB 124 chassis cars are very similar to Vanagons.

Part#s

Like all German electric windows those break too. I bet the same items wear and bind. There are similar mechanisms around to perhaps rob bits off of, but does not solve the root problem.

There is a Vanagon forum member who fixes them and threatened to make some repair parts of different materials to combat some of the problems, but I have yet to see the goods.

Sorry for the OT.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: power windows Reply with quote

Theres a Samaba member that rebuilds these. His work is good and not expensive. It can be done, I used to do it but now I have a supply of replacements.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the plastic cable guides at either end of the track that typically wear out on these, and I believe those are better engineered on the versions I mentioned

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power windows are great! The switches and wiring are sketchy though. I think it's way easier and cheaper to fix what you got than to replace everything. 30 bucks worth of switches and some solder will fix most all of your problems.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Power windows are great! The switches and wiring are sketchy though. I think it's way easier and cheaper to fix what you got than to replace everything. 30 bucks worth of switches and some solder will fix most all of your problems.

No! Electric windows bad! Swap with me instead!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Power window regulators and stuff Reply with quote

I personally have great luck rebuilding these regulators ,but I have a cache of parts and have done about 50 of them . I have been supplying them to some local shops as exchange as well as here on Samba .
I always have Manual units available as exchange as well as rebuilt units sitting on the shelf for rebuilt exchanges so that you do not have to send me one first .
I have no secret magic ,I am using whatever spare parts are around and do the best I can with what I have . I know the weak points and address them as well as I can . I have a set in my truck that get heavy use and work flawlessly .
I have sent some corners out to be reproduced as noted earlier by another poster and need to go and check up on that guy .
I am always buying dead units ,no matter the shape . The more dead units i get the better off I am to help other Vanagon guys .
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've removed the power window crap and installed the manual regulator. The damn driver's side works WORSE than when it was power. That stupid rubber hose that guides the cable keeps popping off and then the cable gets all pinched up and the window won't close fully. Passenger side not as bad.

What did I do wrong?? How can I get that rubber hose to stay on the regulator and how do I route it so that the cable doesn't bind? Looking at the Bentley it appears the hose goes forward and then curves up and back and is held in place by a metal tab. When I route the hose in this fashion, the cable snags and pulls the hose off of the regulator.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelB12 wrote:
Well, I've removed the power window crap and installed the manual regulator. The damn driver's side works WORSE than when it was power. That stupid rubber hose that guides the cable keeps popping off and then the cable gets all pinched up and the window won't close fully. Passenger side not as bad.

What did I do wrong?? How can I get that rubber hose to stay on the regulator and how do I route it so that the cable doesn't bind? Looking at the Bentley it appears the hose goes forward and then curves up and back and is held in place by a metal tab. When I route the hose in this fashion, the cable snags and pulls the hose off of the regulator.

Bumpity bump bumping!!

An old thread, but did you ever get this figured out?

Also, to Stacy AKA @16CVs do you still work on power windows? I just replaced all the front window seals/scrapers and now the window motor doesn’t have enough juice to make it all the way without manual assistance!
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: