Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doc gets a Zetec
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Doc gets a Zetec Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For what its worth (if anyone is interested), I started my Bostig conversion today with the new engine build-up. We received word this afternoon that the kit is on its way and should be here by Thursday. Just some info. I live on a sailboat and don't have a garage. So I am borrowing a friends place for the build-up and doing the swap outside. Unfortunately Hurricane Earl is on his way in the general direction of North Carolina so I won't be able to finish prior to his passing. The following link takes you to my photo web site with additional photos: http://yachtmaya.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=13563772&AlbumKey=UrVzb
I will post more as work progresses.
I am using a new crate engine so the build-up includes all of the accessories. I followed the Bostig pre-install procedures and ordered parts I required. Of course there are always issues. The alternator didn't have a pulley and the AC compressor requires a mounting plate I was unaware of. All minor things easily remedied. I have also decided to make some minor modifications, like reworking the air-box for easier opening and heat wrapping the exhaust system. I have also decided to replace the tranny (4 speed manual) with a rebuild from AA Transaxle. I talked with Daryl and decided to go with the taller 3rd and normal 4th. The new tranny should be here Wednesday or Thursday. Life is good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did you get the engine from and how much... In PM is cool too Smile

I am jealous... wanting one!
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are putting it together to go to sea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShootingFish wrote:
Who did you get the engine from and how much... In PM is cool too Smile

I am jealous... wanting one!

x2

Is that ding supposed to be there on the exhaust manifold? hard to tell from the photos.

Keep us posted on your progress.

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the new engine swap! -- I'll be watching, since my Butters is just like Doc.

Susie
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the work and the sweat,thye enjoy the ride Wink
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Doc gets a Zetec Reply with quote

Ranger Shad wrote:

Hmm, looks familiar. My crate engine is sitting in the back of my garage patiently waiting. It may be next spring before I take the plunge. In the meantime, I'll be keeping up with your build to see what I'm in for. Applause

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Doc gets a Zetec Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also decided to make some minor modifications, like reworking the air-box for easier opening

Good thinking on those buckles, i will have to do that to mine. Good luck with the conversion...and the storm.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to see somebody relatively close to me going with the Bostig. I'd love to check it out in person next time I'm in town.

82 Diesel Westy
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:

I would advise against it. Oil and CV grease might get in the water.

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
Alaric.H wrote:

hahaha Laughing

don't forget to not park in creeks
bangbus2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pics so far. hopefully this will be a good source of info to a lot of people who are interested in the bostig setup. [like me]
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger,

Your photo album and comments are very nice. Thanks for posting, and let us know of your progress.

-CJ
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Answers Reply with quote

I bought the Zetec off Ebay from GY Ford Parts out of Port Orange, Florida for $750. The price was reasonable, I looked at several used engines and anything with low time (6000-12000 miles) was in the area of $600-$700 and thats without any warranty. The shipping was $175 or so, I probably could have found cheaper shipping. Overall $925 was the smallest part of the conversion.
As to the dent in the exhaust manifold I believe it is there to allow the use of a socket wrench for installation. Unfortunately Hurricane Earl is coming (we live just south of Cape Hatteras in Beaufort, North Carolina) and today and tomorrow will be spent getting the boat ready for the storm. I hope to resume work early next week as I have to work this weekend (Labor Day holiday). My intent here to to provide a chronicle of the process and to show that this is a pretty easy project. Eventually I will add this to my web site as a guide to those who follow.

Last edited by Ranger Shad on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tarooka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Nice Pictures and excellent descriptions Reply with quote

I too am interested in a Bostiq conversion. Why did you opt for a new engine versus one from a wrecking yard? (obvious advantages in new, but was there any other reason?)

I see someone else asked about cost; can you share some detail as an approximation? Did you just go to the local Ford store?

Egads, after I pushed the send button, I read your reply!

Nice work and good luck in the storm.
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous!
You know, those Zetec are a good looking engine. Now you've got me thinking about finding a new one to squirrel away.

I'll be following this one. Good luck on the weather.

-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers Reply with quote

Ranger Shad wrote:

I bought the Zetec off Ebay from GY Ford Parts out of Port Orange, Florida for $750. The price was reasonable, I looked at several used engines and anything with low time (6000-12000 miles) was in the area of $600-$700 and thats without any warranty. The shipping was $175 or so, I probably could have found cheaper shipping. Overall $925 was the smallest part of the conversion.

Ditto!! Exactly where I got mine, and, IIRC, exactly what I paid.

For me, the extra expense of the new engine was purely for peace of mind. Having a zero miles engine that I break in and maintain from day one has an appeal to me. I've seen how badly many people treat their vehicles.

I recently had occasion to ask a co-worker of mine to help me jump start my car, he sheepishly had to admit that he had no idea how to open the hood. Shocked When we did get his hood open, he also admitted that he was mechanically clueless, and also had no idea when the last time his oil was changed. See, this is the kinda guy I don't want as previous owner of a used engine I might buy.

Less than a grand for a new engine seemed like a good idea to me.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
Alaric.H wrote:

Hey! Don't make me post the nice pics, Don't make me do it...
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Ranger Shad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Bostig Conversion Day 2 Reply with quote

With the engine removed Doc gets a cleaning.

A little Bling! Polished Intake manifold billet. About an hour or so of hand polishing.

With Hurricane Earl long past and the Labor Day weekend holiday behind us (I have to work holidays), I have 5 days off to get this done. The engine removal is fairly easy. The Bostig video covers all the important points. As the guys mention in the video be sure everything is disconnected and clear as you lower the the engine. The only glitch we had was the clutch slave cylinder (which was unbolted) got caught in its bracket and pulled the hose apart. A minor issue, but now I do have to replace the hose and bleed the system. Some times its the little things that can piss ya off. It took about 4 hours from draining the oil and coolant to pulling the engine out from under the car. Not bad. I had to use an electric impact wrench on the main engine mount bolts due to age and rust.
I got an email from Jim at Bostig in reference to the heat wrap. Jim mentioned that the heat wrap would reduce the life span of the muffler if salt is used on the roads and the van is not a daily driver, he also mentioned that the stuff would fall off eventually anyway. All of these are good points to consider. This part of North Carolina doesn't salt the roads, I do use Doc as a daily driver, and after about 3 or 4 months I won't give a crap how the muffler looks. It just needs to look nice when I'm done.
The following link takes you to my photo web site with additional photos: http://yachtmaya.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=13563772&AlbumKey=UrVzb
512dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of MPGs are typical for the Zetec?

I didn't find anything on the Bostig website talking about fuel efficiency. Can anyone comment on their experience hwy vs. city and what speeds the efficiency was obtained.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: