Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual window regulators 1982 Westfalia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drm3416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Manual window regulators 1982 Westfalia Reply with quote

i have the parts for replacing my broken window regulator. Is there any place I can go to see pictures of how it goes back together? Thank you. Mark Ransford, Hall MT
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing an online search for the Bentley 1980-1984 . It would show you diagrams of the regulator and how its installed.
Better yet, see if you can locate the Bentley Manual in the classified section or Craigslist. Used ones are about $30-$50.00.
drm3416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Regulator Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean a toyota tercel bentley(what came up on the search) or a British Bentley?

TThanks, Mark Ransford
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley makes a lot of manuals
The one you want to find is this one
http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Vanagon-Official-1980-1991-Including/dp/0837603366

Just a thought, your other door is a mirror image of the one you're working on.... and it's assembled
Might think about opening up that door panel and you'll have what you're looking for
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drdiquila
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your window regulator, and how much was it? We just got an estimate for $300 for the part alone with $142 for labor. Sounds a bit outrageous.

Thanks!

Diqui
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get inside the door you need to begin by removing the interior door panel, and any speaker, window crank and door pull must be removed first. On my '87 the tricky part was the little plastic cup inside the door handle recess; it must be pried out to access the mounting screw behind it. Gently pry the door panel off by using a stiff flat scraper to pop the plastic mounting nubs loose from the holes in the metal door frame. Put all the screws and bits in a Ziploc bag. Set the door panel aside.

Stick the window crank back on its splined shaft and roll the window down. Pry out the lower inner and outer scrapers (rubber window trim) and then the one-piece upper channel can be removed. Roll the window up until you can see the two bolts mounting the metal bracket supporting the glass to the window regulator and remove those bolts while holding the glass, then work the glass out the window opening to the inside. The regulator also has a bolt holding it to the bottom surface of the door, and once this is loose you can wiggle the regulator around until it comes out.

I may have forgotten something, but that is basically it. 30 minutes and you'll be holding the regulator in your hand. Do NOT lose the two little white plastic glides that keep the slider moving smoothly on its vertical track. Installation is the reverse. You might want to install some sound deadening stuff (spray or mat) while the door is apart. It helps.
The Munz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: trying to replace my drivers side window reg. in 1982 westy Reply with quote

i have the bentley manual and it does show how to unbolt the regulator from the door but the pics are pretty vague. has someone done this before and can help me?

can someone please provide a godo link to the least expensive place to find the replacement part (window regulator).

i have the door panel off and i at least want to try to fix it myself before i get charged 350$ by a repair shop Evil or Very Mad

thanks for all your help samba members!
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those photos do leave a lot to the imagination. Especially when it comes to installing the new regulator. The rubber hose needs to be routed a certain way so that the cable inside does not bind up. I unfortunately did not figure that out just yet, so my windows work worse now than when they were electric.
charrepz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: 1982 Manual Window Regulator Reply with quote

I have a drivers and pass new regualtor for sale.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Regulator Reply with quote

While you had it out ,you should have lubed the drive cable as well as the crank shaft which the handle attaches to .
The tube fits on the end of the regulator and receives the cables while it goes through its motion .
The tube fits in to the upper hole ,which looks like a speaker hole . There are a few bent tabs which receive the tube and hold it in place in the that circular hole .
Remember that a power unit comes out through the bottom and a manual comes out through the top hole.
Other than that it is a direct bolt in . I've also sent you a PM through Samba .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: