Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ into a 88 Weekender, conversion thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: AAZ into a 88 Weekender, conversion thread Reply with quote

So We're replacing a 2.5 suby with an almost new aaz. It is behind an automatic. We're figuring out the rpm situation, first to be solved with 16" wheels.
We have on our hands now, a 50* kit out of I believe a 83 diesel van, a Kennedy adapter plate aaz to an automatic vanagon, and the flexplate to bolt to the diesel also from Kennedy.
I'm starting this today, 1st problem, left side motor mount hits the turbo, so Ive seen the solution here, any other not $300 solutions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Vanagon-diesel-c..._500wt_956

Any other problems Im gonna run into?? any good threads I can look at? Pics to follow. pretty excited about this, after this is done, the 2.5 is going in my 88 westy behind an automatic, and we'll have a couple sweet vans Cool
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ into a 88 Weekender, conversion thread Reply with quote

Most AAZ conversions do not have this interference. Only the early models of the AAZ use the turbos with internal wastegate actuator that hit the mount. Sorry. Where did you get the AAZ?

Mark

brent239 wrote:
I'm starting this today, 1st problem, left side motor mount hits the turbo, so Ive seen the solution here, any other not $300 solutions?
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supposedly its from germany, but yeah it has the actuator internally, the mounts been ordered though
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K14 will be an extreme interference. A couple IMO easy solutions include either swapping on a later T2 or a K03 with matching manifold or modivying the mount. Easiest way to modify the mount, IMO is to chop off the end of it and add an appropriately sized/bent/drilled flat to the bottom of it bolted to the mounting bracket with reinforcement on the inside. Total project cost, $50 + time 1 hour.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Add a spacer under the front carrier bar mounting point to return the engine geometry to stock.
danno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there something wrong with the 2.5 behind the auto just asking because I was thinking of going this route.
92 Golf 4dr
93 Beta Synt Trials Bike.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danno,

Let me know if you would like a 2.5 Suby swap. I have one for sale in Langley, BC. It is currently in my syncro and can be seen running. PM me if you are interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brent, how is your swap going? Here's a thread that might be of interest to you regarding regearing. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431013&highlight=automatic

I'd love to put a diesel behind my AT so I'm keen to hear how your project is going.
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what torque convertor are you using to go with the diesel engine ?
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel bolted up today Cool , Its a stock vanagon torque converter. we just mounted up a set of 215/70/16, theyre on a suby 2.2 right now, way too big for that but gonna be sweet on the diesel. rear brakes mounted up too.
not gonna answer the 2.5 question, but its mounted up in my westy now, Tom finished up the repair of the harness last night and should be here real soon.

Soo back to the diesel, the bars had factory holes in the 87 and almost fit perfect. little bending fits good now, only problem we ran into was the injection pump sits above the lid Rolling Eyes , we have a modded lid already but whyyyyyyyy??????? sorry for the bad pic, have to get back to work. I'll flip it later
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the vanagon diesel ever came with an automatic. On the 82 and 83 diesel vanagon delivered in the US, the nose of the manual transmission sat high. Looking at a side view of the engine and transmission, the engine appeared to be drooping like a dirty diaper. Someone posted some drawings of the differences. If the pump should clear the vanagon cover, then the engine is mounted to high probably because of the automatic front mount. Thanks for the update.
avdem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few vanagon jx diesels with automat in Europe. So it is possible to do this using original parts. Mostly used in vans specially made for the german postal service. And what is known as Berlinertaxis. I do think that even the Norwegian postal service had a few of them.

About as rare as hen teeths....
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe there were any stock vanagon diesel automatics in any of the markets. I would welcome you to prove me wrong on that tho. Please post links or pictures. On a similar note, despite my disbelief I recently found out there was a counter-clockwise rotating water pump manufactured for the inline 4's in some markets so I'm open to correction, but would need more info to alter my belief about the non-existance of stock automatic diesel vanagons.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!!I never heard of automatic diesel vanagons,even on small production Shocked

For the clearance under the lid about the injection pump,remove that ugly plate,modify the accelerator lever for the cable,and cheat one teeth back against the cylinder head on the timing belt (all timed together off course Rolling Eyes )and that fits without any modification of the lid.
Otherwise a little cut with a router and a plate on top will allow you some clearance without sacrificing comfort under the mattress if you have one for sleeping.

Bye!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my end throttle assembly is barely higher than the lid. If I put things like flats of water/pop, etc... back there I have to put them on the right side otherwise my throttle revs high. When I took it to Giles at High Performance Diesel he suggested a cut out and someone else in here built a rectancle and lifted the lid a few inches. I don't think that's necessary but I guess it depends on the installation. I have no problems as long as I don't stand on the engine hatch Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's never been a factory diesel automatic, only a few people to wander in that direction. if this auto dont work out, a freeway flyer's going in Cool
we have a raised lid on hand, I like alika's ingenuity! but I'd really hate to mess the timing up.
why would you need a counter clockwise water pump?? Rolling Eyes we didnt change the direction of the motor? Everybody always overthinks things here, its funny Laughing, Me included at one point in time.
so why would the samba flip my picture when the orientation is correct in my computer
GratefulGerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There´ve been a few automatic diesel T3 as test-cars. They did run in west-berlin short before the reunion of germany and are known as the legendary
berlin-taxi.
never went in regular production
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Good to know. I wish they had sold them on the open market.
avdem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a norwegian forum. Try google translate.

This guy is selling an original diesel autobox with starter.

Says it is coming from a norwegian postal van. As he states "probably even more rare than the berliner taxi"

http://www.vwbus.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=...el#p158252
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the Euros on this thread...
Any of you guys know if there was special gearing used in this berlin taxi auto diesel or how they got the revs down ?
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

almost got it fired up today! The starter is not powerful enough Sad . I have a Hi-torque starter here that doesnt work Sad. another one that doesnt fit! so Im back to an 2.1 starter. doesnt have enough juice. even with a 20a battery charger hooked up. Im gonna add new ground wires at the battery and one more at the starter. What starter is stock on a td?
How about the glow plugs? I had a very complicated relay from an outside source and hooked it all up IAW his directions and it will not work. I'll just add a relay with a pushbutton. its gonna be way simpler.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: