Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can the actuaters for the power door locks be fixed/rebuilt?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: can the actuaters for the power door locks be fixed/rebuilt? Reply with quote

My power locks are not working. You can here them try to but they won't lock. New actuaters are pretty pricey. Would I be able to take them a part clean and service them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open them up and clean the contacts with naval jelley and relube but they are usually toast. The front door actuators get water in them from leaky window scrapers and they rot out. Update us if you get them fixed
Good luck.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to a while back. Never thought it would last as long as it has. My experience included here. notes excerpted below.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226120&highlight=actuator
- make sure both gears slide easily on the spindles.
- check the little springs that press the contact bar on the plunger.
- Don't get too hung up trying to figure out where to start the big gear when reassembling - it doesn't matter, it just goes around and around counter clock-wise (lock, unlock, lock, unlock, etc).
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
You can open them up and clean the contacts with naval jelley and relube but they are usually toast. The front door actuators get water in them from leaky window scrapers and they rot out. Update us if you get them fixed
Good luck.

Believe me, I tried.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thread with my solution:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334352
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:

Believe me, I tried.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A'yup, my experience as well. For a little more than the price of one VW actuator, you can replace all four with Swiss MES brand units, AND have keyless entry. The MES actuators will almost directly bolt up to the factory mounts, so the install is quite easy--slight mods necessary. I highly recommend this very satisfactory addition.

http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kobylan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm me. I have some extras I can part with.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're not too far gone, you can spray the insides with alcohol (brake cleaner), shake 'em up, and blow it out with compressed air. Then some WD40. Worked for me a year and a half ago.

Same thing with the power window switches--half the time a "bad" switch is a gunked up one, and the brake cleaner works wonders. Maybe contact cleaner as well, just something to get back to metal in there.

I learned this from owning Saabs which have the window switches mounted horizontally between the seats, perfect for soft drink entry...

Obviously if they're falling apart in your hand, as above, nothing will help.

I was also able to glue the torn rubber boots back together using flexible glue.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mabuchi motors can be purchased for you local hobby shop, Horizon which is a major distribitor for hobby shops stock a number of different motors, have them order them for you
They are very cheap .

good luck
Steve
audiphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU Zeitgeist 13 for pointing me to a1electric. I bought a Corrado window regulator from them (which is a better design than the factory one) and am still happy with it years after. didn't know they made actuators...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this puppy and wire it in to replace the completely corroded motor of the factory actuator.
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?S..._Code=W16F

A factory part is $72.50 at 1stvwparts.com (New Part# 7D0959781A), however, which is a good price, but not as good as $20....
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiphile wrote:
THANK YOU Zeitgeist 13 for pointing me to a1electric. I bought a Corrado window regulator from them (which is a better design than the factory one) and am still happy with it years after. didn't know they made actuators...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this puppy and wire it in to replace the completely corroded motor of the factory actuator.

A factory part is $72.50 at 1stvwparts.com (New Part# 7D0959781A), however, which is a good price, but not as good as $20....

I've been pimpin' that kit for so long, folks probably think I've got skin in the game--nope, it's just a really cool kit. I hope that actuator works well with the factory setup.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
audiphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
audiphile wrote:

I've been pimpin' that kit for so long, folks probably think I've got skin in the game--nope, it's just a really cool kit. I hope that actuator works well with the factory setup.

well, it's been a month and I have not yet received this actuator... Gotta give them a call..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: