Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443526&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ[/url]

Like most I have had problems from time to time with CV joint boots. While good ones will last over 150,000 miles, junk ones that look pretty much the same right out of the package may not last a week. The problem for me is I have no idea which brands have lasted me for 8, 10, or more years. That info is long gone, so I end up having to experiment anew when I need boots for a new rig. I have been happy with several different boots over the years and know well that price is not a good indicator of quality. What I would like is for people to post the brands they have run and rate them, say a (*****) for a boot that still looks good after 100,000 miles and a (*) for boots that failed within a few weeks of installation.

If we can keep this thread clean, it might become pretty useful.

Thanks, WT
heerojyuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told that using non-spec grease obliterates them.
I redid mine within the year and am due to do it again. (This time, the right way)
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just looking into this last night, do a search on it and all kinds of info comes up. i might regret this but i might go for the whole axles and boots from napa...... ..... ( ¯\(°_o)/¯ ) if i back track on that thought, it might work out if i do it myself Arrow http://www.type2.com/bartnik/cvjoints.htm i here these are great http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16640&cat=354&page=2
Karl wrote:
http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/009128.html
http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/050129.html
http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/029399.html
i hope this helps Very Happy
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing 2 a day are 1 more than needed Laughing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443414&highlight=

Search Razz Not long ago we had a fairly informatice discussion about it. Problem is it takes quite a while to find out what lasts.

Who has and what brand of good ball joint boots is the same situation.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only boots I have had long term success with are Rockford boots. They are made from the same material modern day vehicles cv boots are made of.(can't remember the name of the material) Ask German Supply Scott , see if he still carries them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=rockford+boots&search_forum=5
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hoping that I would get some real feed back not a bunch of links mostly to one hard to find brand. Saying to buy Rockford boots is fine, but its normal to find that German Supply is "out of stock". What I want is to know what brands people have bought from the local suppliers or mail order places that both have and have not worked. I went through this 20+ years ago with my first bus, buying what were reputedly the best I could find to have them last a few months and ended up going with the cheapest I could get my hands on and they lasted until I parked the bus in the field most of two decades later.

There must be dozens of different brands people have experience with, lets rate them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've had a few from CIP lately, some last OK but most suck.
I'm intrigued by Heero's grease suggestion, I've personally gotten 10+ years out of the cheap ones but others in the area using the same boots get alot less, I suspect they didn't use CV grease like I did.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought the BB "heavy duty neoprene" boots about 3 years ago.

one of them blew out and they are all showing cracks and will need replacing soon.
replaced the blown boot w/ an EMPI ( Shocked )

for being marketed as "HD" and considering the fact that they look shitty in 3 years i give them * (1 star).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozone in the air kills the rubber. Some areas and years are worse than others.
heerojyuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm intrigued by Heero's grease suggestion, I've personally gotten 10+ years out of the cheap ones but others in the area using the same boots get alot less, I suspect they didn't use CV grease like I did.

Well I was told that the lower quality cv grease will break down and liquify under demand and that it will contribute to the early shredding of the boots.

My situation might be that I immersed the boots in water (Fording a washed out road), or that I mistakenly mixed two different grease brands. I'm not sure, as I don't recall how I went about it after rebuilding the transmission.
kkirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a boot rip I replaced all of them with the Rockford boots because they were all the hype here at the time. They were good quality but didn't fit right and the boots tore as they were to short. Scott from Germansupply has responded to my posts in other threads that the boot that Rockford specs for a bus was just as I said, too short. He now apparently sells a boot spec'd for a different vehicle that fits better, if this is true then I think this would be my first choice in a CV boot.

I replaced the Rockfords with Bus-Boys HD boot and have had them for 2 years and they are holding up fine.

I also put some GKN/Lobro boots on a friends bus and they seem to be good quality and are OK after 1 year.

Wildthings, I hope this is the information you are looking for.
2012 Suzuki VStrom DL1000
2006 Yamaha WR450
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Really hoping that I would get some real feed back not a bunch of links mostly to one hard to find brand. There must be dozens of different brands people have experience with, lets rate them.

Here is a bit of a "search and read" that I did for you Embarassed . Some valuable input here on various brands. It was some of my input plus a bunch of others. One guy had a lot to say about boots that work and boots that fail. Unfortunately he didn't mention brands. Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And like you and we both know there are countless other threads on boots and brands. Maybe if someone was wanting to get to the bottom of the boot problem they (hint, hint) could do a bit of topic reading and nicely tabulate some of the reports (hint, hint).

But whatever wonderful brand that has held up long enough to be able to give a good report on doesn't mean that much. Good chance that production and formulation has changed since they had the good stuff. Same deal with the boots that were bad may now be good ones. Evidently BD has gone round and round trying to zero in on something worthwhile. I'm sure most every supplier would prefer to be the source for the good stuff.

So Wild Guy, who sells the good brand of ball joint boots? If I had some good ones I'd switch out the ripped ones for the 3rd time now.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Rein and Meyle brand boots with much success. I believe both kits come with grease and hardware

I believe the part # is 251598201

I quit using Meistersatz boots because they were tearing quite frequently.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyle's were the junk ones on mine. Febi's were the good ones.
I put on 2 brands to compare them. Four joints need 4 boots. There is the opportunity to compare and evaluate 4 brands at the same time under exacting conditions.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ozone in the air kills the rubber. Some areas and years are worse than others.

Yes...very true. The ozone in Dallas Texas eats rubber for lunch!
Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heerojyuy wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Well I was told that the lower quality cv grease will break down and liquify under demand and that it will contribute to the early shredding of the boots.

My situation might be that I immersed the boots in water (Fording a washed out road), or that I mistakenly mixed two different grease brands. I'm not sure, as I don't recall how I went about it after rebuilding the transmission.

Yes. Its not so much cheap grease.....its incompatible grease. Also yes...mixing grease will not only destroy the boots it can set up a chemical reaction if the metal base is different...causing grease breakdown and corrosion.
This is why there have been warnings on greases for eons....not to mix grease brands and types.

Unfortunately....I do not know exactly what chemicals are bad or good. I do know that proper CV greases are not your average grease.

Although all greases to some extent fall under this definition....a CV grease is more properly described as a thickened oil. with specific metallic additives.

It is an extreme pressure gear oil with a thickening detergent. You have to be careful because most classic CV joint greases have a high percentage of lead as an anti-corrosion compound....as well as molybdenum. They are toxic. Keep them off your skin.

You will notice that the classic CV greases that come in the blue tubes...usually have oil separting to the top. It is that oil which is the lubricating basis for the grease.

Is it the rubber that changed? Doubtful actually.....because bad rubber and good rubber are largely the same cost. Is it processing during the molding process....most probably thats a big part of it. Many of these are made in fourth world countries. Poor or inconsistent processing, heating, compression or sloppy formulating could be the culprit.

It could also easily be that many fo the better companeis are still making the boots out of the same thing they always have...and to the same tolerances.....but since they do not makes greases....and we all know how much oil formulations have changed in the past few years....and CV grease is made form oil......if I had to point to one factopr that I would guess has changed the most...it would be the grease.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of boots.....cutting them into test strips and slathering them with various CV greases to see which ones make the most damage. Give them all a periodic heating and a spritz of water. It may be interesting. Ray
dragonbyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just the newer Meistersatz boots that are tearing easily? i have a pair of them sitting on the shelf and would like to use them if the older ones are of quality. These ones are from 1997 and are nice and plyable still.
moxnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely I've had great luck with $10 boots from O'reilly FLAPS

Precision # 2401, IIRC
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard good and bad results from virtually every boot brand out there. Maybe teh question should be asked....what iseveryone using for a CV grease. Maybe we will start to see some correlations. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: