Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Center console concept...cup holders
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Center console concept...cup holders Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My '83 GL doesn't have much in the way of storage so i drew up this quick center console idea that would incorporate a couple cup holders and a lowered top tray in the front so shit won't go flyin around corners. The back can double as a mini seat for the occasional van drinking session (wish I had swivel seats).

I imagine I'll make it out of some 1/2" plywood or maybe MDF. Any input appreciated...
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the perfect place for additional storage and cup holders. Right now I use a plastic box with a cheap console thing on top for cup holders. If it was for sale I would buy one. Maybe Rocky Mountain Westy can make and sell something like this. If your like me (chronic overpacker) you can never have too much storage.
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made one kinda like that, but it houses two down-firing 10" subwoofers. I have an aftermarket console mounted on top for drinks and loose crap. If i wasn't so ineducable I'd post a photo.
vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
That is the perfect place for additional storage and cup holders. Right now I use a plastic box with a cheap console thing on top for cup holders. If it was for sale I would buy one. Maybe Rocky Mountain Westy can make and sell something like this. If your like me (chronic overpacker) you can never have too much storage.

After spilling like 2 coffees in the van, it's time for cupholders.

I plan on building it tomorrow, I'll post pictures of the process. If it turns out to be really easy I might be able to bust out a few copies. Not sure what the shipping would be like, it would probably make sense to ship flatpacked.

Hopefully it won't restrict movement from the front to the back of the van, but I think it should be sturdy enough to stand on while jumping to the back.
vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotek wrote:
I just made one kinda like that, but it houses two down-firing 10" subwoofers. I have an aftermarket console mounted on top for drinks and loose crap. If i wasn't so ineducable I'd post a photo.

just post it up on imageshack, quick easy and free http://imageshack.us/
DWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonagon,
Looks like a great plan.
I opted for a travel cooler freezer / warmer (Thermoelectric Cooler)
It's worked great as a cup holder and storage bin (CD's etc.) & when it's needed it will keep extra drinks cold or food warm.
You can also use it as a "mini seat for the occasional van drinking session" as long as it's not for someone real heavy.
Plus it's portable so you can easily move it out of the way if you need to use the space between your seats to get to and from the back of your van.
Best of all, I found mine at Target on sale for just under $14.00 a few years ago.
Looks like this one: http://www.gadgetgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/black_n_decker_cooler_warmer.jpg
59 Panel van
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the coolest things is the walk through feature. Why clutter up a perfectly good walkway? Yes, I "AM" Curmudgeon Man.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
One of the coolest things is the walk through feature. Why clutter up a perfectly good walkway? Yes, I "AM" Curmudgeon Man.

well it will be removable Very Happy

plus it's only 8 or so inches tall, and I'm 6'3" all legs, shouldn't be a problem
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonagon wrote:
r39o wrote:

well it will be removable Very Happy

plus it's only 8 or so inches tall, and I'm 6'3" all legs, shouldn't be a problem

trust me.. its a pain in the ass.

6-3 here, too. And I like having the center console while driving...
Bought a $100 jobber thru JC Whitney... (garbage by the way, I think it was assembled by lemurs on acid)

With kids, though, I am often moving to the back thru the walk-thru.

Stepping over it.. or doing without. hmm...
I can't decide...
So I curse under my breath every time I have to contort rubberman-like to get over it.

I also don't like having a potential projectile in the van... (note to self: figure out a way to secure it)

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
With kids, though, I am often moving to the back thru the walk-thru.

Stepping over it.. or doing without. hmm...
I can't decide...
So I curse under my breath every time I have to contort rubberman-like to get over it.

I also don't like having a potential projectile in the van... (note to self: figure out a way to secure it)

We have kids.

Our Routan has a factory fixed console (can be removed) and it is a major pain.

The Westys do not have anything much sticking in the walkway and we can move around much better.

(I almost hate the damn Chrysler it is soul less and so small inside compared to the Vanagons....arrgh...just a few more months and the Multivan will by my new driver....heee heeee....)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

I also like the walk-through feature. In my hard top, I bought a cheap POS console and it is in the way but I the cup holder at the right place- I don't have to lean forward to get to the cup. In my Westy, I am going to fit the fold down table from a 2010 Toyota Sienna. People are removing them to fit a full center console. I bought mine on ebay for $10 with a $20 shipping and it looks brand new. I have not fitted it yet but the problem is once fitted, the passenger swivel seat will not be able to sway as it is in the way. BTW, I have already removed the driver swivel and is fitting a normal Vanagon seat so it is lower and the support for the leg is longer. I may remove the swivel for the passenger seat also as there are only the two of us and We never have to turn the seat. It looks like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2010-Toyota-Si...2eb24c0647

but mine is from a 2010.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
r39o wrote:

I also like the walk-through feature. In my hard top, I bought a cheap POS console and it is in the way but I the cup holder at the right place- I don't have to lean forward to get to the cup. In my Westy, I am going to fit the fold down table from a 2010 Toyota Sienna. People are removing them to fit a full center console. I bought mine on ebay for $10 with a $20 shipping and it looks brand new. I have not fitted it yet but the problem is once fitted, the passenger swivel seat will not be able to sway as it is in the way. BTW, I have already removed the driver swivel and is fitting a normal Vanagon seat so it is lower and the support for the leg is longer. I may remove the swivel for the passenger seat also as there are only the two of us and We never have to turn the seat. It looks like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-2010-Toyota-Si...2eb24c0647

but mine is from a 2010.

If you get rid of your swivel I'll totally buy it.

j_dirge - yea the projectile issue is legit. I suppose I could secure it to the deck with some kind of removable latch.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vans' PO had built a center box for the walk way. He brought it to me a year
after I purchased my van. I have used it tough, it seems too big for what I'd like.
He constructed it out of plywood and he did a very nice job with the jointry.
He even routed a groove into the side of so the box can stay in place while the
passenger seat is being swiveled. I thought about covering it with that cheepo
carpeting for speakers and make it blend in better, but then it's the whole can't climb
over it to get to the back seat. I don't want my vans' interior to be any more of an
obstacle course than it already gets
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built one last Spring:

I looked at several store-bought consoles first for ideas. One complaint many had is that not all potential space was utilized, particularly under the cup holders.

So I designed a front horizontal access bin, right behind the shift lever, under the cup holders, for seldom used stuff.
In the rear, accessible from the main cabin area, are two little cubbys for lighters, keys, headlamps, lip balm, etc.
All those cubbies have a curbed shelf so stuff can't go sliding off.

We had a number of design criteria, it had to accomodate:

coffee and other beverages in a variety of containers
a six pack
tissue box
thermos
small waste bin
have some "secret" storage
easily portable

I suggest making it narrow enough to:
1.easily reach seatbelts (both sides!) and e-brake, and aisle power socket.
2.swivel the seat without rubbing

I like the idea of an open aisle but:
1. where to put all that little stuff, and my coffee
2. we have a dog who wants to be underfoot, the console keeps him in back.
3. Ours is easily moveable.

Good points on potential projectile. While I like that ours is easily moved from the aisle, I will consider rigging some sort of attachment/quick release. We already have the GW eyebolt seat belt bolts, maybe I will make use of them with a strap.

I added about a 7/8" shim on bottom towards the back of the console to make up for the downsloping aisle floor. It doesn't slide around on the rubber aisle mat. I have also since added "drawer liner" type material to dampen vibration and rattling of contents.

Overall we find it very useful for keeping organized on road trips and in camp. In the interest of research maybe we should "forget" it on a trip to test out the open aisle experience.[/img]
Cold Steel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Center console concept... Reply with quote

vanagonagon wrote:

My '83 GL doesn't have much in the way of storage so i drew up this quick center console idea that would incorporate a couple cup holders and a lowered top tray in the front so shit won't go flyin around corners. The back can double as a mini seat for the occasional van drinking session (wish I had swivel seats).

I imagine I'll make it out of some 1/2" plywood or maybe MDF. Any input appreciated...

The main problem with isle storage is you cant walk there anymore. Its so nice to slide to the side and move to the rear. Lets face it the only problem we are all trying to solve is where to put the drink holder.
I think the real solution is on the dash.
My 2 cents...
Oh by the way, I still have not come up with my own solution so your doing better than me Laughing
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm driving it is imperative that I have a place for my water, for kleenex and a thousand other things as I don't have a co pilot and I've tried the hangers, too far and too low to reach. I like one that can be moved, only my passenger seat swivels.. I'm watching all your ideas.

Presently using a cooler that fits snugly (have long seat belt holder) with the lid reversed that has bottle holders. It's got a lot of problems and bought an inexpensive console but its crap!!! So I'm following all leads about removeable consoles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built a few of these, always tweaking it to make it better. I angled the bottom to match the floor and stopped it just forward of the seat belt bolt to preserve the walk thru ability. I can step over it just fine and the seat still swivels.

This is my current setup with the dash mounted unit, the black disappears which I like. The material is 12mm baltic birch with a lacquer finish, dovetailed at the corners with a PC Omnijig. Bamboo would be a nice choice because of looks and it dovetails nicely but it is 200$ a sheet vs 30$ for BB.

With a lid:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: storage Reply with quote

Good ideas everyone. I used a Styrofoam packing box that surrounded a ceiling fan-lots of little cut outs for pens,cups,maps and then threw it out after the trip. The openings are also a great source of survival food -it's amazing how many donut and cookie crumbs fall in there.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this low profile console for a few years - works for us. Cup holders and a small tray for miscellaneous stuff. Still allows easy movement to the back of the Westy. And it's easy to move out of the way when we're at a campsite and want the space for other uses.

I have the cup holders facing the other direction than what you see in the photo above - i.e., facing towards the front. It has "teeth" on the bottom of the unit - so it never moves when driving...

We have cup holders in the doors as well (covers old power window switch slots), but I'm uncomfortable with a hot cup of coffee so close to the steering wheel.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
vanagonagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
I've built a few of these, always tweaking it to make it better. I angled the bottom to match the floor and stopped it just forward of the seat belt bolt to preserve the walk thru ability. I can step over it just fine and the seat still swivels.

This is my current setup with the dash mounted unit, the black disappears which I like. The material is 12mm baltic birch with a lacquer finish, dovetailed at the corners with a PC Omnijig. Bamboo would be a nice choice because of looks and it dovetails nicely but it is 200$ a sheet vs 30$ for BB.

With a lid:

sweet setup! How'd you do the jointery on the console?

do you have a detail shot of the dash cupholder?

I like the compartments you guys have goin on. Makes more sense than one big space.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: