Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wanted: Information on Doka Canopy Suppliers
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Wanted: Information on Doka Canopy Suppliers Reply with quote

Hello, anyone out there in the community know of any after-market canopy and rack suppliers that would fit a Doka? I appreciate the NATO canopies; however I am interested in other options; particularly a canvas like or vinyl cover. Please post links and or your experiences in trying to cover your Doka bed.
Cheers.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My canopy and frame was custom built at a marine shop that specializes in frames and dodgers for boating applications. Any shop that does this type of work can put something together for you quite easily as these types of places often work with more complex projects.

Pics in link below but I'll eventually take a bunch of walk around pictures of the frame and canopy.

cheers

Jay

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello, anyone out there in the community know of any after-market canopy and rack suppliers that would fit a Doka?
Nothing other than custom one-off stuff like jay mentioned. Unless you are lucky enough to find a real tilt.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try checking in with Tom Buese. If I recall correctly, his samba user name is Canvas Guy. If he doesn't make them for the Doka he may know someone who does.

Good luck,

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom doesn't make them for vanagon dokas. He said they are too complex. I shipped him my tilt once for evaluation.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wrote to him about making a new canvas for my single cab... Nope!
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Dble Doka Fudge Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I will soon be the owner of a new 2WD Doka, and so I am beginning my DOKA education. What do you mean when you refer to a "tilt", and where can I devour all things Doka, there does not seem to be too many doka threads on the forum? As for the "tilt" are there any German suppliers, and has anyone tried importing a few stateside? Thanks for your help.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean when you refer to a "tilt"

A tilt is a term for the metal framing and the canvas canopy that you are asking about. They are also called a tarpaulin.
Tilts are hard to find stateside. If you want to have one shipped be aware that the poles are heavy and the 2 metal bows(framing) are really large.
If you aren't a stickler for it being real a fab shop could make one for you.

This is the syncro doka thread but it might help
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...light=doka

Good luck.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those of you in search for a real vw tilt set up i might be able to start supplying them to the states give me a little more time to finalize
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tilt for my Sinka but the canvas is starting to show it's age and some of the hardware is missing.

I was planning to have the canvas replaced by a marine canvas shop and I've been collecting photos of other originals and reproductions to get ideas on how to work around the missing OE hardware.

Yes, please let us know what you can provide! Smile
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent you a PM Bman... Smile
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks to Crankey I now have an OEM military green tilt with frame and all. As soon as I get back down to the Coos I will set it up and take pics for you all.

Being original, the tilt is missing a few of it's hardware pieces and I wonder if anyone knows of replacement parts or means of a DIY alternative.

Particularly for:

1. The round rubber piece that fits on the rear frame, between the frame vertical bar and your side gate?

2. The flat head screws and "plug in" washers that attach the top poles to the frame?

3. How about some of the D ring tabs that are rivetted into the top of the canopy for rolling up the sides?

Some of these pieces I will see if a local upholestry shop can fab for me.

Thanks again Crankey, and it was awesome to meet you in Seattle.

FaceHook:
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber pads you are on about- they mont onto 'body'/bulkhead and kind of stop the drosides rattling when in the up/closed position?

245 829 599 are part #s .If obsolete 99% i have a set here.

Bolts and 'plug in washers' are N 033 171 1 -according to etka are just a M6x30 counter sunk bolt washers are N 011 405 2

D rings appear to be part of the assembled canopy.

Just checked classics website and all parts you need appear to be obsolete - or they dont have stick anyway, and if they aint got it.........
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CHARLIE-DONT-SURF"]The rubber pads you are on about- they mont onto 'body'/bulkhead and kind of stop the drosides rattling when in the up/closed position?

245 829 599 are part #s .If obsolete 99% i have a set here.

Yes, those are the ones. Are you willing to sell your set, and if so PM me a price your looking to get for them. I figured those other items ANLA. For now I will use what I have unless I can find replacements from others.

Thanks.

FaceHook:
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bman, glad to be your tilt vendor Laughing

I wish it was mint, but it seems most of the time these old parts are a project all to themselves.

if you can't find the actual VW part for the bumper, I would try Home Depo for some kind of rubber foot, look in the hardware section.

I think if I was going to keep it I would scrub the black metal frames with scotch brite and give them a fresh coat of semi-gloss black, and use some spray glue to stick on the rubber pads I cut for the feet.

I hope you get some good use from it. I will most likely turn the money into a tint job on my truck. I'll probably drop off my sliders for tint this coming week.

thanks for the deal, it was great to meet you too.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Crankey,

Even before I reached the Coos I dropped the two black frame pieces off at my powder coater for a "refresh" and I'm getting help with the rubber pieces as well. Next I will see about getting the right rivets or snaps to fasten the loose straps. No it's not mint , but I love it all the same. I hope to get it up on my doka by this weekend. As soon as I do, I'll post some pictures here.

FaceHook:
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Used OEM Tilt Reply with quote

Hey ya all. I finally cleaned up and installed the new/used OEM tilt that I recently got, and I wanted to show you some pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Side shot of my DoKa with the tilt. I was never sure that the green would go with the white, but now that its all on there and the color is restored...I like it. The black bed liner ties it all together.

Two of the three sides roll up on mine; need to find rivets and tools to fix the other side.

another shot with the rolled up sides (sorry the pics are so bright). Remember what the Dude said: "The rug really tied the room together."

Interior shot. I had the black frame powder coated with 3 coats, and I reconditioned both sides of the vinyl canopy to restore some color and recondition it.

I'm still looking for a local source for fixing the missing or broken rivets which hold on some of the straps. I went camping this weekend and the rug and a blow up mattress in the back really made for a classy sleeping option.

I like the functionality and look of the stock tilt; however it may be hard to find one locally and affordably. I may have just lucked out that this one was within 300 miles of me and a fellow Sambanista gave me a great deal. This may not happen for everyone.

Please feel free to continue posting on Tilt and canopy options for all DoKas and SinKas.

FaceHook:
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Tilt! I am one jealous Doka owner! I have a OEM Tilt for my 60 single cab, but never did get it powder coated yet or buy the Canvas yet. I would love to locate a tilt for my doka, or the plastic version, or the camper topper version, but I am waiting for that first email on my wanted add for the 4th door conversion.

42 and still dreaming away like I was 16 staring at my first VW Trends Magazine, back when they had Bikini models next to our loved German Metal.

T
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that came out pretty great Bman ! nice job ! I hope that stuff you used to restore the canvas lasts, shure looks nice. did you get a chance to fix the tears on the back flap or the torn bumper cup ?

did all the cups fit the bumpers on your gates ?
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That vinyl conditioner will last as long as it does, and like my hiking and forest work boots, it will need another coat some where down the line; thats fine, the material certainly feels and moves better than it did before with out anything on it.

I've still not yet found anyone who has any rivet tools to help me with the loose straps and D rings. That is my first priority, and then I can start planning on how I can tackle some of those tears.

All the cups but one (rear passenger side) fit perfectly over my gate bumpers; so far it is not a problem, and if need be I may just have to move my bumper over to fit....may have to drill a hole for that!?

Hey Crankey, did ya notice my sliders are in? Dude, ya got ta get yours in. They are so awesome!

FaceHook:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: