Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex, Solar, and Auxiliary battery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Propex, Solar, and Auxiliary battery Reply with quote

I'm helping a friend with converting his westy in to a rig that he can live/work in it for weeks and Man do I have a list off projects.
I just replaced a crapped out EJ 2.2 with a JDM one and so far so good.
Secondary battery , power inverter and a solar panel are on the list, a new portable freezer should not be hard to run off the secondary battery.
also I need to install a propex, but will like to know if there's better choices than going by GW instructions and removing the factory rear heater? The original fridge will be removed. Can I do the propex there and still have room for the potty?

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you cut into your limited storage space, have you seen this set up?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The battery and Propex gets covered up with a lockable box. Real slick set up by Rocky Mountain Westy.

Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty cool! but then I run out of room for the portable freezer (is pretty big) the propex in the small compartment by the outlets seem good but might be a cumbersome job to install.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racerrojo wrote:
That is pretty cool! but then I run out of room for the portable freezer (is pretty big) the propex in the small compartment by the outlets seem good but might be a cumbersome job to install.

It can fit there but space is limited and it needs to sit at an angle. When I did it (and I am pretty sure it is the only way it would fit) the intake tube ended up inside the frame rail so it was impossible to attach the metal intake tube. This worked fine for the older model Propex's, but the newest generation have more sensitive combustion air intake sensors and need to have the full length of intake tubing attached so it doesn't go into the 5-flash failure mode.

It is worth taking a look at, but color me skeptical. If you do figure it out be sure to post your results.
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I thought of a possible more practical location.
Since the Fridge is going to be removed. The Propex could go at the bottom of that area. I have the gas line, the power, and perhaps I could route the intake tubes to the Flue Vent from the fridge.

Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Proprx install in fridge cabinet?? Reply with quote

Does the propex need to be install with the inlet/outlet lines to the bottom?

I'll like to avoid drilling and still have a use for the flue vent.
and position the heater to the rear (under Fule vent)
I have the Fridge removal kit from GW, so the back pannel with the insulation will be covered.

buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted. That is the exact location I was planning for the same reasons. Propane is already there and under the seat if full of tools/parts.
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem I see so far is, that the propane tank is right under there, and that complicates venting trough the floor board.
I'm not sure that the orientation is that critical (as long as i keep the heat on top away from the electronics, maybe?)
How about this options:

This takes some space and requires the intake/outlet to be to the side and the provided pipes are a tad short.either a box or a shelf can separate the heater from the storage (I'll like to store the porta-potty in there)

This would locate the lines on top and due to bends I think it would take the same space and also the heat out put and air intake would be too close to each other.

This is the one I'm liking best because, the Stock flue vent is only inches away, and so is the gas line from the fridge, it is possible to install with the intake? exhaust lines facing down (shelf can be lower and unit higher) stock fresh air intake is all ready in the back to the side of the cabinet, thus leaving the heat outlet on the front.
storage space is ample, but the down side is that the heat is not as effective as in the lower positions.
I guess it could be set on a lower shelf still run the lines under, or skip the shelf and just raise the unit and build a box around it.

Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This worked fine for the older model Propex's, but the newest generation have more sensitive combustion air intake sensors and need to have the full length of intake tubing attached so it doesn't go into the 5-flash failure mode.

if I ended up installing on the top shelf, I can always coil the intake to keep it the same length.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the following link? He did the exact same project, complete with the extra space for a portable toilet. Also PM Beetsport as he did one for a customer below a truckfridge installation. He might have some pointers for routing the intake and exhaust.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about is the small cabinet to the left?
I never store anything critical there since it is fairly inaccessible when the bed is made.
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Have you looked at the following link? He did the exact same project, complete with the extra space for a portable toilet. Also PM Beetsport as he did one for a customer below a truckfridge installation. He might have some pointers for routing the intake and exhaust.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

That's what I'm talking about!!!
That's pretty sweet.
I can also modify the front panel use a door like the one under the drawer and have the heat outlet blow to the center of the van rather than under the window ( that's the only draw back I find on that set up) but man that is slick

Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
What about is the small cabinet to the left?
I never store anything critical there since it is fairly inaccessible when the bed is made.

I thought about it and I agree with the idea of that been a better use of that space, but it tight and cumbersome to work on the install and other posts mention many other draw backs

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Also PM Beetsport as he did one for a customer below a truckfridge installation. He might have some pointers for routing the intake and exhaust.

agree, he was at Burning Van last weekend and I asked him about it, no problem routing those lines down towards the propane tank, he had room to do this without problems, I did not ask him how he isolated the Propex unit from the fridge on top of it though.

this is his setup

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after considering the options I'm going for this one

on the bottom of the cabinet (with pipes through the floor an abot an inch higher) this should be more effective, since heat rises

Make the 8.5" 7.5" for the inlet to clear the out side frame rail
Here's a rough location measurements the exhaust barely clears the propane cylinder under the floor. the intake is clear

KMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
1621 wrote:
Also PM Beetsport as he did one for a customer below a truckfridge installation. He might have some pointers for routing the intake and exhaust.

this is his setup

I am very interested in this set up. If anyone has info please let us know. I have a Norcold that has room underneath for the Propex.

'68 Panel
'78 Champagne Edition Westfalia
'89 Blue Star
‘90 Hightop TDI Vanagon
'90 AFN TDI Leisuredrive hightop
http://www.highcountrybusfestival.com
Pisgah Bus Rally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have so far, I ended up shimming about 3/4" under the mounting brackets to center the outlet, did a temporary power source to the battery installed the thermostat on the out side of the closet cabinet, and it works nicely, perhaps I'll change the front panel from painted wood to aluminum diamond plate.
I just wish I was doing this in my van

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic RR! Very clean looking job. Thanks for the picture from underneath the van, I was wondering where the exhaust and intake would be in relation to the propane tank.

Where does the propane line run? Does it go directly to the back of the Propex? Is the 12v power the same? I'm also interested in where you plan to mount the thermostat. I imagine there's a somewhat predetermined distance from the unit itself, that will probably dictate where it ends up. Would high on the b-pillar be a reasonable location?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
I'm assuming you cut the door and door frame in half to shorten them? That was my major concern. Looks like you just solved it.
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1/4" cooper propane line runs from the back of the propex up to the fitting for the 3/8"fridge line, by a coupler and a reducer (I forgot to take pictures before I set the back board in) the thermostat is mounted on the closet cabinet by the rear speakers, wit the wires running along the water lines for the tank trough a hole in the closet, the power source will be the auxiliary battery behind the driver seat.
The door frame was cut in the middle the same as the with off the vents board, I have not cut the door itself yet. the idea is to store the porta potty in there with enough room for a shelf on top.
Is freezing in my garage right now, or else I would be working on fastening the intake and exhaust pipe to the frame, I'll post those pictures when they're done

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: