Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Addco Install!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Help with Addco Install! Reply with quote

How to I get these two parts apart? I am specifically speaking of the sway bar to the part that hangs down. The bolt at the bottom is easy Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the entire assembly from the van.. swar bar with two endlinks still attached to it.

Place the old sway bar in a bench vise and then with a tight grip on the endlink (wear gloves) roll/twist the endlink off the swat bar end nob.
It should come off with a little muscle and twisting.

Repeat for the other side.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah Dave just frickin Man Up!!!!

Done thank you!!!
GeeZ12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you need to completely remove the entire anti-sway bar/drop link system. From that point I use a single burner hot plate and boil some water. Place the joint elbow in the pan of water for about 30 seconds, straighten out the drop link and use leverage by pulling down on the drop link. The link will come off fairly easily. If you have the early 'S' shaped drop link you will need to remember the orientation so that you will put them on properly later. Putting them on backwards can ruin your day. To install new bushings I just heat the bushing in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then quickly install into the link. Let it cool a bit then put the link into the hot water and use the same leverage to force the bushing over the anti-sway bar end. DO NOT overheat the bushing for the install or it will deform permanently and you will be buying another bushing.

Edit....sorry I forgot you were installing the Addco so forget about the install

just my 2¢

Gary
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddye wrote:
Yah Dave just frickin Man Up!!!!

Yah just needed a lil encouragement is all.. Laughing

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip I got from another Samba member regarding the Addco's. Take the inner bushing retainer brackets that slot into the frame & bolt on one side only and throw them as far as you can. They will not hold & the bang the bar makes when it comes loose will scare a few years off your life. Ask me how I know. I bought my bars & didn't install them for a few months in the meantime forgetting that advice.

Use the supplied two bolt bracket & I'd recommend finding a piece of hose to cut up for between the bushing & that bracket to make it super snug & tight. Lots of grease on those bushings too.

Then fun twisty road action!
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
A tip I got from another Samba member regarding the Addco's. Take the inner bushing retainer brackets that slot into the frame & bolt on one side only and throw them as far as you can. They will not hold & the bang the bar makes when it comes loose will scare a few years off your life. Ask me how I know. I bought my bars & didn't install them for a few months in the meantime forgetting that advice.

Use the supplied two bolt bracket & I'd recommend finding a piece of hose to cut up for between the bushing & that bracket to make it super snug & tight. Lots of grease on those bushings too.

Then fun twisty road action!

Is there any reason not to use the stock mounts? They seem to fit fine and look stronger than the supplied Addco straps.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddye wrote:
Is there any reason not to use the stock mounts? They seem to fit fine and look stronger than the supplied Addco straps.

If you can find a proper fit new bushing for it,.. sure. The opening needs to be 25mm.

But the OE bar is smaller.. meaning the OE bushing has a smaller opening.
The Addco is 25mm and needs the proper sized bushing inside whichever strap. And unfortunately, the Addco bushing only fits properly inside the Addco straps.

Compare the assemblies side by side.

danfromsyr wrote:
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try them, I can only speak for my experience & the experience of others.

From another Addco thread:

wasserbox wrote:
BlackDogVan wrote:
Mine are through customs

When you install the front bar - word of advice.

There are 2 sets of brackets. One with 2 holes for bolts, and one with a hole and a lip.

Even if the hole / lip looks like it will work, don't waste your time. Just drill a hole for the front and use the 2-bolt bracket.

On the rears - If I was going to go back under there again (and I may in the near future), where 82WestyMan has his bracket mounted....
I would flip the bracket upside down from his image, and get in there with an angle grinder to get rid of part of the lip that interferes on the rear control arm to move it up as high as possible.

I don't see any reason that this rear bar has to sit as low as it does. I already flipped the bracket, and plan to come back with the grinder at some future point.

I wish I'd remembered wasserbox's advice when I installed mine.
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it I really want to take the short cut but I guess I'll do it right. Very Happy
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn right you want to do this job right.

Swaybars popping off at inopportune moments are a Very Bad Thing.

Some tips:

See page 1 and 2 of this thread, about 1/2 way down, for some photos of an Addco front install (thanks to EricTheNorse an 24inchstance):

Whiteline Automotive anti-sway bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153066

I don't know what hardware came with your swaybar, but the below photo is what I got from Shox.com. They apparently included both types of brackets, so you can pick what ones you want: OEM style with one hole, or the Samba-approved two hole style. I went with 2 hole. You will need a 3/8 drill bit for metal, and I needed to bend the bracket slightly to align with the frame.

As mentioned note before you remove anything which link goes to what side, of the van; you might want to label them left and right.

When installing, tighten the brackets LAST. This gives you some wiggle room to move the droplinks into the ideal position. Slide the bracket bushings off to one side,and just use the metal bracket to hold the swaybar more or less in the correct position.

I had my van on the ground (normal parked position) for this procedure; NOT jacked up.

I found some Triflow and dish soap slid the end links off fairly easily.

and maybe this photo will help choose what to keep and what to toss:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, you can do this!
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

I just got off the phone with John from Addco and showed him this thread. He said he had received calls from clients complaining that the clip on center brackets were not working and that they needed the 2 hole brackets. I walked him through this thread and he said it made sense and he would look into it. I also showed him that I thought the instructions were incorrect and he agreed.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!
According to John at Addco the instructions for where the big washer that goes on the 3/4 inch bolt is wrong. The washer should go on the wheel side of the end link with the bolt going through it NOT ON THE FAR INSIDE NEXT TO THE NUT!!! I pointed out that on my Westy that the washer was to big to fit where the instructions had it and he said that is because the washer is there to keep the end link from popping off the bushing and the whole think falling apart. It is in the wrong place (paraphrasing Very Happy ) It along with the bold hold it all together.

So tonight I am going to pull the whole thing apart and put the washer where it belongs and drill out a hole for the center brackets to go into.

John at Addco was a cool dude btw Very Happy
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddye wrote:

PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!
According to John at Addco the instructions for where the big washer that goes on the 3/4 inch bolt is wrong. The washer should go on the wheel side of the end link with the bolt going through it NOT ON THE FAR INSIDE NEXT TO THE NUT!!! I pointed out that on my Westy that the washer was to big to fit where the instructions had it and he said that is because the washer is there to keep the end link from popping off the bushing and the whole think falling apart. It is in the wrong place (paraphrasing Very Happy ) It along with the bold hold it all together.

So tonight I am going to pull the whole thing apart and put the washer where it belongs and drill out a hole for the center brackets to go into.

John at Addco was a cool dude btw Very Happy

It certainly could not hurt to have a washer on the bolthead side (wheelside).. but I don't think its that important.. Looking at the OE setup, the nob on the end of the sway bar is all that holds the endlink and bushing in place. That nob is smaller than the Addco bolt head.. and it held fine for 20 yrs.
Likewise, my bare-headed Addco bolt has held fine for 2 more yrs.

I think the risk of the bushing popping off OVER that bolt-head is near zero.

Again, though, it would not hurt to put a washer there. Others have added nylon washers between bar and endlink, too... but I think you'll want a washer on that nut side, as well.. Helps in torqueing things down.

The biggest problem remains that Addco tabbed bracket. I'd simply not use it. Just is not strong enough for the bar. Period.

And it is good to see that the Addco package now inlcudes proper bushings for the strap style bracket.. Mine were either missing or they did not include that style in my package.

danfromsyr wrote:
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

the nob on the end of the sway bar is all that holds the endlink and bushing in place. That nob is smaller than the Addco bolt head.. and it held fine for 20 yrs.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Good Point!!!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More hints and ideas from the FAQ:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153066

I will be changing the title, but there is LOTS of info on aftermarket bars to be seen and understood.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I finally got it installed but now I have a more serious problem.....

HOLY COW WHAT A RIDE Very Happy

It is by far the greatest improvement to date! So the problem is that I saw lots more to do while I was under there. The ball joints look like the sleeves are all beat up and to be frank all the bushings need replacing. I also kinda want a rear sway bar Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Deb is gonna kill me.

I did unfortunately find a small puddle of anti freeze under the passenger side under the engine this evening so I have to look into that but otherwise a rockin good time!

Thanks for the help guys.

D
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddye wrote:

HOLY COW WHAT A RIDE Very Happy

Laughing
ITS A DISEASE!

Who knew these things could handle so well.. eh?

Congratulations.
And check out the other recent threads on bushing replacement.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=454863There is much work to be done grasshopper.

danfromsyr wrote:
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the 719 addco bar come with urethane or rubber sway bar bushings?

I see some reference 719U or just plain 719. does the U indicate urethane?
I am thinking about this upgrade...I need new sway bar bushings regardless, and for the cost of the power flex, it is not much more just to go with the 1" addco.
Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: