Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subie 2.2 alternator light
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Subie 2.2 alternator light Reply with quote

Subies aren't 'my thang' at all, but a customer in need convinced me to reassemble her Syncro, a mess ripped apart improperly by the previous 'mechanic' ( and I use that term loosely!). So many missing bolts, parts, etc. The jerk pulled the engine to get to the tranny - that should indicate his skill level. Rolling Eyes

Anyhoo...got it all together and it seems to run well, except the alternator light doesn't work. It is charging fine, but would like to give her back a working car with idiot lights functioning. The conversion is a fairly old one dating back at least ten to fifteen years. So, is there an easy fix to get the warning light to function in one of these beasts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably of no help to you and I am sorry but I can tell you solution. My battery/alternator light works this way.
ON in PARK and NEUTRAL
OFF in REVERSE, DRIVE, LOW 2, LOW 1 Laughing

My alternator is working just fine. So I added a voltmeter and an ammeter, just to make sure.

I hate all those "idiot" lights that any way only come on to tell you, too late dude, you can bend over, spread your legs and kiss your (alternator.crank/head gaskets etc...) good bye.
Same with the little led in the temperature gauge, I painted mine black.
I understand your client may not accept that fact, but "idiot" lights are just that.

But too many clients are totally unreasonable or uninformed. How many times have you had and that is for all and any mechanic have you had customers coming back after the shop changed their shock absorbers and complained that their high beams did not work, just after the repair, or turnsignal after the brake pads were changed Laughing Laughing Laughing

C'est la vie Crying or Very sad

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: alternator Reply with quote

Hi: With a subaru/westy combo the alternator light stays on due to some conversion imbalance in signals created by the transplant.Many owners disconnect the blue? lead at the relay under the drivers seat to kill the light.Perhaps someone has done that? Ask the owner if the light ever worked?
check out this site
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, if it is a westy, the signal from the suby alt is less than what the signal from the VW alt is, that signal also triggers the relay for the fridge in the westys. then, there is not enough current left to keep the idiot light from coming on. Check the Yahoo group or Brent Weides sight. A simple cut and splice behind the fuse panel fixes it.

On the yahoo sight in the file section under "wiring Hell" is a folder related to the fix.

Paul.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
yes, if it is a westy, the signal from the suby alt is less than what the signal from the VW alt is, that signal also triggers the relay for the fridge in the westys. then, there is not enough current left to keep the idiot light from coming on. Check the Yahoo group or Brent Weides sight. A simple cut and splice behind the fuse panel fixes it.

On the yahoo sight in the file section under "wiring Hell" is a folder related to the fix.

Paul.

It appears one must be a member to access anything on that site. I don't want to join just for one small answer, any chance you could cut-n-past the contents here or in a pmail to me? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/14Alternator/AlternatorFix.txt
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

Paul.

It appears one must be a member to access anything on that site. I don't want to join just for one small answer, any chance you could cut-n-past the contents here or in a pmail to me? Thanks.

Ha ha ha, I'm laughing Karl, why the heck you didn't contact me.. now you won't get the answer because you where not nice about the Subaru conversion...

the last link is good because I DON'T bash diesel conversion, haaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha..

Busfusion?

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

Ha ha ha, I'm laughing Karl, why the heck you didn't contact me.. now you won't get the answer because you where not nice about the Subaru conversion...

the last link is good because I DON'T bash diesel conversion, haaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha..

Busfusion?

Ben

When I have a Subaru question I call Hans. He speaks my language better. Laughing Whatever you're referring to "about Subaru conversion" I have no clue, unless you mean the crap K&N filters, no dipstick.... Wink

(fwiw, I don't really care if you like diesels or not Rolling Eyes )

Busfusion? Nope, I am spending my free time this year away from van people. Laughing
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Moderator]

All y'all, BE NICE! Ya hear?

[/Moderator]

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/14Alternator/AlternatorFix.txt

Many Westfalia, weekender, and multivan vanagons have problems with their alternator charge light staying on or at least partially lit after the subaru engine is in place. The cause of this issue is that the circuit which feeds the idiot light also feeds other loads. The fluctuating load on the circuit causes the light to come on partially or fully. If the circuit is dedicated to the idiot light, the issue goes away.

The method of dedicating the circuit originally came from KEP and they should be given full credit for the idea.

Here's how it's done:

Begin by removing the fuse block facia. It's a piece of rounded plastic held in at each side. Push it in and up to remove. Now, remove the two screws that hold the entire fuse panel bracket in place, plus the screw that fixes the panel to the bracket. The entire fuse panel assembly can be dropped down and made fairly accessible.

Carefully twist the panel around so that you can view the back of the panel. Note that there are several groupings of wires across the back of the panel. You'll see that each of the groupings are lettered if you look closely enough. This is also a great time to break out the vanagon manual as they may have pictures with labels on them.

You are looking for
terminal block A,
terminal block E,
and terminal block B.

There's a couple of blue or green wires that run to terminal B1. One of the wires runs out to A16, the other to E13. Cut the one that runs to A16. Cut it at a point about 1" from where it exits terminal B1. Take the remnant of the wire which is now only anchored to A16 and run it to one of the ignition on power source spades at the left side of the back of the fuse panel. Crimp or solder a female spade connector onto the end of the wire and tie it into one of the spades.

Now you should be able to remove the blue wire from the refrigerator power relay under the driver seat and your alternator, although still functional (test by turning the ignition key on, but not starting) will not remain lit after the engine is started.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's all I wanted - a simple easy to follow answer.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link I provided wasn't from the yahoo group and it would have provided the answer without being reposted. Confused
I don't have any kind of westy product so I can only assume it works.
Good luck.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="r39o"]
syncrodoka wrote:

quote]

thank you !!

that's what I was looking for 2 months ago in my thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449460

I'll do that when I have time Razz

I'll copy and paste there for the database. Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.2 alternator light Reply with quote

I have read thru all this and made the neccesary modes with no luck... I think there is something wrong with the grounding of the light.

subie swap to a 90 vanagon westy, from the engine harness I connected to the Alt wire to the dash. I did the mod to the fuse panel cutting the blue wire and moving it to a 12v , I also pulled the blue wire under the seat. I also have a dual battery setup with blue sea separator if that matters. ( I started with a gowesty isolator the reason I bring the is go westy made a mod to the wiring under the seat I have not reversed this. I am not sure I need to)

My Alt is working and charging but I have no charge light when I turn the key.

I have the Alt with the round plug with three wires, one of these is a black wire with a white strip. I checked the wire it is good thru the harness. whats i checked the this wire I found key on it has 12 v engine on wire is dead.

How do I get this to work with the dash charge light... i recall i read something about grounding the dash light ?

Ideas ?

If it matters took the first test ride with the conversion... so nice to push on the pedal and have the van move fast ... !!!!! cant wait to take off some place and be able to climb a hill at speed.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.2 alternator light Reply with quote

Use the following thread to check and make sure your Subaru Alternator (round plug type) warning light output at the correct Alternator terminal is:

Grounded with ignition on (engine not running) and then 12V+ with engine running. If so, you have a wiring problem. If not, you have a bad alternator.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=628354&highlight=subaru+alternator+wire

Eric
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: