Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Bostig conversion Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be rude but most of you guys on this site work hours and spend countless amounts of money on a 80s water-cooled engine that is out of date and problematic why not just save for the bostig conversion and get the reliablity you want out of your vanagon please no disrespect I'm just curious

Cheers
~DonnieB
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just boils down to personal preference i guess some people are sticklers for keeping it all vw you know keeping a wbx'er running is usually cheaper in the short term so that probably makes the decision for some and generally any of the conversions are reliable if done right where the Bostig shines is when it comes time for parts or a new engine if needed plus the kit is DONE
Oh yeah here's all my punctuation marks.......,,,,.....
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus a Bostig converted van drives very differently than a WBX. 7000 RPM redline. Driving one feels more like driving a Honda. Some like it, some don't. Personal preference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion Reply with quote

fsf1o1 wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude but most of you guys on this site work hours and spend countless amounts of money on a 80s water-cooled engine that is out of date and problematic why not just save for the bostig conversion and get the reliablity you want out of your vanagon please no disrespect I'm just curious

Cheers
~DonnieB

There are several reasons.

1. The Wasserboxer is serviceable by any VW repair shop. This is important to Vanagon owners who aren't mechanics themselves.

2. The Wasserboxer passes emissions inspections. Some states are strict enough that a conversion cannot gain approval.

3. The Wasserboxer is smooth running, has nice mid-range torque, and sounds great.

4. Not all Vanagon owners are huge fans of Ford engines.

5. Wasserboxer engined Vanagons are easier to resell and often sell for the same money as a van that has received a very expensive conversion.

6. A properly put together Wasserboxer can last for 200K plus miles, so there is no durability drawback to keeping it.

I could go on, but you get the idea. It's fine that you think the WBX is outdated and worthless, but a lot of us on here like the engine. It does a decent job of powering the lighter vans, gets good mileage (with a stick shift), and it adds a lot of character to the van.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I understand now just didn't get it before I'm like why in the world are these guys putting themselves through he'll when they don't have too. No offense just curious for me I can't wait to drop a ztec in my van Smile
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because I like the 173hp Subaru more Very Happy It fits in the engine compartment like it was meant to be in there, has twice the power of the waterboxer, and significantly more than the Bositig.

But I'd still take a Bostig over a waterboxer.
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX just seems like alot of heart break and crying and tears involved id rather just save and drop a ztec in there. thats just me.
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its what i did. Though i never had a heartache with my WBX. I bought the van on 4/20 with the WBX, put maybe 100 miles on it and then took it apart for my Bostig Conversion. I wouldnt bash any particular conversion or staying stock. I wanted to stay stock i thought, but the best builders have long wait times and i had a goal to drive this thing from Miami to Nova Scotia by the end of summer. (i did complete that goal just last week) I did everything mechanical on the car and had the engine bay prepped and ready for the bostig. Received the kit on a Tuesday night, and i had it running by monday morning. I purchased the van already knowing that i was going to get the bostig.

Really happy with my choice.
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in on this one.....

I've went back and forth between all of the conversions for my Syncro and considered building up a nice WBX too. I haven't decided which route I'm going to take yet, because they all have their pros and cons.

What I like about the WBX is the fact that they're a truly unique engine. The design is great, with the few flaws we all know about. If I can figure out a way to get some decent power out of it, with reasonable fuel economy, without completely draining my bank account, its the route I will go. So far it seems like this goal is out of my price range, considering what I want, so I'm pretty certain ill be doing the Subaru conversion.

I am not sure why people talk so ill of these engines...Mine has over 200k on it and sounds great. Definitely not powerful, but what about the simplicity of no timing belt?
I'm really intrigued by its design and just like the fact that it's different.

I also have a 86 Toyota 4x4 truck with the 22RE motor that everyone talks about. Do they run forever...yes...mine has 293,000 on it, but it does leak lots of oil. One area being out of the timing chain cover, which has a bizzare gasket/sealing design. It also is pretty gutless...Where I'm going with this is the perfect & most reliable 22RE engine is not perfect. Same with the WBX.
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro I have a 22r in my 1989 Toyota le moon buggie
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you put a different engine in your Vanagon you are re-engineering the vehicle and have to manage all the components to make sure they work well together. Even with the popular Subaru conversion (like mine) unexpected things come up. Despite all of the modifications suggested by various people on line I still get a check engine light for the neutral switch in my installation. Yes, I have added a switch but the ECM still, some times throws a code.

I use this problem to illustrate some of the things you have to deal with when you re-engineer something. I WILL figure this problem out and in the mean time I am really enjoying the extra power and fuel efficiency of the Subie engine. I like the challenge, but if you are not ready or don't want to deal with issues like this than maybe one should stick to the stock engine. There is more than one "engine conversion gone horribly wrong" threads on The Samba, just read them to see why one might want to stick with the stock set-up.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time since I owned a Subaru, had a new 73, back in 73, had a used 78 back in about 80. Many engine problems with both these vehicles, so a Subie conversion still has a little bad taste. I realize this was WAAAY long ago, back before a lot of you guys were driving, or walking for that matter. My WBX was relapced and the new one has less than 40k miles, so something I keep in the back of my mind, but not something I am concerned with at this point.

I will say, For most of it's life, I loved that 73!

Looking back, should have bought the VW then.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsf1o1 wrote:
WBX just seems like alot of heart break and crying and tears involved id rather just save and drop a ztec in there. thats just me.

and i imagine you already have a bostig in your vanagon

Last edited by GBA 88West LA on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAECT.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I'm starting to think the moderators of this site should just instantly lock all engine debate threads and just have one in the stickies. Seems like about once a week somebody starts a 'which-enigine-is-better' or a 'MY-engine-is-better-thread.' Jeez Confused
'96 BMW R1100GS
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody call smokey the bear theres some firestarters round here
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
somebody call smokey the bear theres some firestarters round here

You're d&*n right son, and it's YOU! EVERYBODY knows it'a Smokey Bear - NOT smokey THE bear!!! Twisted Evil
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
Damn! I'm starting to think the moderators of this site should just instantly lock all engine debate threads and just have one in the stickies. Seems like about once a week somebody starts a 'which-enigine-is-better' or a 'MY-engine-is-better-thread.' Jeez Confused

Well... It is a very important topic. Besides A WHOLE WEEK has gone by and maybe some new technology or new engine has been invented...

Last edited by markz2004 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the wide, wide world of sports do so many grown men insist on wearing panties around here? I'll never understand!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

Oh yeah here's all my punctuation marks.......,,,,.....

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: