Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoxsterGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Permanent Fix for Vanagon Fuel Tank Vents Reply with quote

Smile

I have been looking at the new Gas Tank I purchased for my DOKA and trying to decide how to fix this grommet issue once and for all.

I have lots of experience with Porsche fuel & oil systems where I work, so this cannot be too hard to do.

I am having some fittings made up to take a Banjo & the correct multi-fuel hose secured by proper clamps or a crimp sleeve.

They will be secured to the tank with Copper Crush washers and absolutely will not leak.

Once this is done I will try to do something with the filler neck.

Will post info & photos soon.

Len

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought welding some nipples to the tank in place of the plastic fittings and rubber grommets. Cool
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't had the pleasure of dropping my tank yet but anyway to get bulkhead fittings in there? can your arm reach the other side?

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had to replace fuel tanks on both my previous vanagons due to the breather rotting out, when i re install the tank i use a hermatite red petrol sealer and press in the grommets, neither have leaked
i hope i don't have to do the same to lucy, the spending list is getting longer by the day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
I always thought welding some nipples to the tank in place of the plastic fittings and rubber grommets. Cool

Thought of that as well, but would want to start with a new tank. I sealed up mine a month or so ago, so I figure I have at least a year to find a solution.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket tanks currently available? They thin walled pieces of crap?

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the "custom made crossover tube" that GoWesty sells (for $80!) is really needed?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3618&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or does it make the repair/replacement process a lot easier somehow?[img][/img]
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the GW kit. The grommets they included did not work with my original cross over tube. The grommet ID was slightly larger and did not seal the original fittings. I had to use the GW cross over tube.

I'd pay for an improved sealing system.

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490

Last edited by jimeg on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking welding to a new unused tank would be easy enough. Unless the Chinese steel is to stressed and it starts to crack.

Next time mine leaks......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I took my tank down this spring, it was in excellent condition, and just needed a coat of bedliner to make itlook like brand new, so I was lucky on that one. My van has never seen a salted winter road.

I did buy and install the GW kit, c/w the cross-over tube. the install was easy with no issues, I got a post off somebody here who had an excellent write up on his own website, with great pics to use on the way - I just can't find it now, but had 'kayack' in his name.

no isues with grommet sizing or anything else, and I can fill it with no spashback, I did put a slight smear of Vaseline as reported on all the grommets, and the grommets were easy to install, sealed up perfectly. maybe I was lucky, but don't think so.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rubber grommets and sealing them with Loctite 518 has proven itself for over 8 years and still going strong...no smell or leaks at full fillup.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just the grommets, though. The plastic breaks too. Just did it to my Multivan. Thankfully we still had some used plastics to use (for now.)

A good stock repair with new factory parts seems (or used to) last a good decade or more. Now it is anybodies guess based on new fuels and the materials used and so on.

A non elastomeric solution would make me more happy.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about adding a set of the Valve Cover breather vents?

you should be able to reach the inside via the gas gauge sender hole and a long handled wrench.. (pending the tank is out)

this would work on an old or new tank. and if used a VITON O-ring should be a mostly Perm fix.

to add a small barb to the upper tanks (we've eliminated them to no ill effect in my brother's van FWIW) you can add a 2nd T-fitting just after the tank vent fitting.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grommets seem to last about 1 yr-already getting that fuel smell with fill ups after replacing all of them last year. I think the E10 we get here in CO must be incompatible.

OTOH, I'm getting very good at a tank drop and reseal Laughing
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
How about adding a set of the Valve Cover breather vents?

you should be able to reach the inside via the gas gauge sender hole and a long handled wrench.. (pending the tank is out)

this would work on an old or new tank. and if used a VITON O-ring should be a mostly Perm fix.

to add a small barb to the upper tanks (we've eliminated them to no ill effect in my brother's van FWIW) you can add a 2nd T-fitting just after the tank vent fitting.

My buddy Todd, Mr Middie, has his old tank out and handy. I am going to look at it over the weekend.....I suspect my other van will start to leak as it has been a good 5 years since we put all new factory crossovers in.

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
My grommets seem to last about 1 yr-already getting that fuel smell with fill ups after replacing all of them last year. I think the E10 we get here in CO must be incompatible.

Sad when you need to plan ahead to drop it again. New bolts, chasing the threads, plenty of never seize, waterproof grease and knowing full well you will be dropping that tank again.

Seems rather peculiar in this forum that prefers permanent fixes.

Was thinking of braising on a couple steel nipples so standard Oetinger clamps, a couple brass T's and hi end ethanol resistant hose would be perfectly adequate while losing the grommets that will undoubtedly fail.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:

What did you use to seal the grommets?
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use any sealer on my grommets, just personal lubricant Embarassed

I'm sure I'll learn to regret not using a sealent like some loctite 510.
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo guys. I recently re-did my fuel-tank after the bostig install, gosh, 1.5 years ago. It looks super sweet and I now have a ton of knowledge on how to do it. Which, in my book, is the hard work that is also a great learning tool and confidence in my old van.

I used this guide:
http://www.kayakwesty.com/gastank.html

But like everyone else on this post, I get leaks. My leak happens at the top of the tank and if I fill-it-up, will result in a large puddle of fuel on the ground. Obviously, not good.

I think my leak is happening from the gasket at the fuel sender, but you know it's hard to say... as it's really hard to see where it's coming from, as it all just flows "down the saddle". I suppose that's an easy fix of the O-ring.

I used a full kit from VC:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_493_293/fuel_tank_reseal_kit_a.html

But, I guess it could also be from the "breather grommets" from the cross-over pipe. Has anyone else worked a solution like this?

I love the idea of using the valve-cover-breather-vents (or something like it) as DANFROMSYR noted:
danfromsyr wrote:
How about adding a set of the Valve Cover breather vents? ...and if used a VITON O-ring should be a mostly Perm fix.

1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use any lubricant or sealer on rubber fittings as a general rule; however, if I do need a "lubricant" I use a small amount of liquid dish soap especially on non-petroleum rated rubber like window gaskets and the like.

Are you suggesting that sealing will prolong the lifespan? If so, I'll give it a try next time I drop the tank. I like the idea of some type of compression fitting to fit into the grommet holes and eliminate the problem. Odd issue is the big rubber gasket around the filler neck has NEVER leaked, while the small top ones always do...is there a materials difference?
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
BoxsterGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Here's what I have so far...........

Using Steel Banjos & Fittings with Copper crush washers as a proper seal with no rubber grommets or nylon fittings to age, dry out, fail prematurely or to crack & split.

Once proven I will offer these for anyone who wants them.

Also working on a fix for the fuel filler neck. Will update as progress is made.

Len

Smile

Last edited by BoxsterGT on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: