Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary Fuel Pump
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I was chatting with my buddy who mentioned he has a small 3 psi electric fuel pump in his baja in addition to the mechanical pump. Since his baja might sit for a month or so in the winter, he turns it on for a few minutes if he hasn't driven it in a while and turns it off once it gets going. Seems like an awesome idea.

Anyone else running a similar system?

Thanks!
-Joe
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I do the same in my fibergass buggy. My electric pump sits up front inder the tank, and runs thru the stock mechanical pump. Only uze it when the buggy has sat for a while, and only to fill the carburetor bowl. You can tell when the carb is full, the sound changes.
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

On "some" auxiliary fuel pumps (when off), it's not easy to draw through them, as in sucking from the output side with another fuel pump. I'm sure his works okay for him, but my experience with them says it will be hit or miss as to whether they will free flow through them.

I took my mechanical pump off and am running an Edelbrock 2-3.5 psi pump and mine seems to NOT overpower the Weber floats. I would make sure your pump is limited to less than 4 psi. This is just my experience and I'm sure many others here with years of experience with the VW motors can be a lot more accurate with their advice.

A quick story about carbs and hot rods. My buddy had a 350 Chevy in his '32 coupe with dual Edelbrock 4bbl carbs. It ran fairly well down the road, but when we'd stop, the fumes were horrendous around the car at idle, burn your eyes almost. We tried to adjust the floats several times, but to no avail. Finally, he called Edelbrock, and they told him that anything over 4 psi would overpower the floats and cause flooding. He put a fuel pressure regulator on the car and his motor never ran better. AND no more nasty fumes.

So just be mindful as to what your carbs can handle before throwing an electric fuel pump at it.

Good luck!

Dan
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Thanks all, the weather is not bad enough for me to take on this project yet, more just something to google when I sit in meetings. I appreciate the info.

-Joe
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I use a Facet fuel pump. Looks like an upright rectangular box. As I remember, there are 2 models. A low pressure 2 1/2 to 4 lbs one, and a higher pressure one. You want the low pressure.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Carter also makes a 4PSI rotary fuel pump....

https://carterengineered.com/electric-fuel-pump-p60430

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

This is in stock at my local Napa - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6101052 . It is 1.5-4.0 PSI

This one https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6102403 is 2-3.5 PSI and cost more, which one would y'all go for.

Thanks!
-Joe
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
This is in stock at my local Napa - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6101052 . It is 1.5-4.0 PSI

This one https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6102403 is 2-3.5 PSI and cost more, which one would y'all go for.

Thanks!
-Joe

Personally, I'd use the lower pressure one, of those two you've shown.

As stated, I have an Edelbrock electric and I got it from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/edelbrock/ede...&pos=6
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Ended up with the 2-3.5PSI Facet because the Edelbrock was in fact not in stock at my LPS.

Any chance for sharing a pic of where you mounted your pump JoeMama? If not, no worries at all.

Cheers,
-Joe
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Wont be near my buggy for a while, but its mounted to the body firewall. This way its out of the way of steering components.
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Well I got the Facet model I linked above, but then I looked at the spec sheet which says it has a positive shut off valve. Meaning gas would not pull through if it is turned off. The local NAPA had this one, which allows for flow through. It came with a 5/16 connector and filter which I don't need... But it was worth it to support the local shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll get to it this weekend or next.

-Joe
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Both my cars (class 9 and buggy) run mechanical with a "primer" facet pump. Neither car run on the electric or both pumps, mechanical only.

The electric pump also makes it easier to pump gas out to put in the lawn mower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: