Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Bostig Install
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: My Bostig Install Reply with quote

Figured I'd do a photo stream of my install. There aren't many on the web and there seem to be lots for every other engine.
I'm in Group 16. Got my kit end of Sept and been picking away at it. I've had my motor for about 3 weeks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How to get your engine out of your truck without a hoist by buildyourown, on Flickr

In the shop by buildyourown, on Flickr

Cleaned up and on the stand by buildyourown, on Flickr

Adapter plate mounted by buildyourown, on Flickr

Untitled by buildyourown, on Flickr

Crap in the spark plug galley, despite being dry by buildyourown, on Flickr

Cam covers off by buildyourown, on Flickr

Finding TDC using an indicator and a 3/8" socket extension by buildyourown, on Flickr

Offending timing belt tensioner by buildyourown, on Flickr

Setting the cam timing. by buildyourown, on Flickr

Working the oil pan off by buildyourown, on Flickr

Oil pan off by buildyourown, on Flickr
ipclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will follow your Bostig build with great interest. I am wating for the next Bostig Group to open. My Westy is put away for the winter to be reborn in April with a new Zetec engine. I got my Ford Zetec this week, a 2004 engine with less than 30 K Miles. I will spend the winter preping it for receipt of the Bostig kit. Your photo revealed a problem for me right off the bat, I am missing the coil bracket/shelf. I will put his on my list of things to source over the winter. I am also missing the thermostat housing but I think the Bostig billet one replaces this. I will need the gasket though.
Keep us posted on your progress.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. I have some of mine just have not put them on a page yet. Soon though as I have a bunch of the turbo install. I plan on putting it all up in the next few weeks though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipclark wrote:
Your photo revealed a problem for me right off the bat, I am missing the coil bracket/shelf. I will put his on my list of things to source over the winter. I am also missing the thermostat housing but I think the Bostig billet one replaces this. I will need the gasket though.

Yes, your kit includes a new thermostat housing. Getting new seals is good practice anyways. Not sure why the Bostig guys suggest reusing a 50c oring. I'll post part numbers when I varify a good one since my FLAPS was no help.

My engine came sans coil too. At first I was a little pissed as myself for missing it, and then I decided a new one was a good idea anyways. I've had them fail and they have an inconvenient failure mode. A new one was $65.
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo

Perfect timing. I'm awaiting my Bostig kit to arrive. Should be here soon. Group 17

My engine has been hanging in the living room for awhile now. I can't wait Laughing
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Nice pics, glad to see you found the time to dig into it. I know you were champing at the bit. Just waiting to hear from Bostig myself. I know they are busy as hell getting the next group's kits built up and ready to ship. I have almost everything I THINK I need...

did you clean that motor up a bit? The alloy on it looks pretty clean.
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BYO - Are you going turbo or anything more than stock zetec?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Yes the motor was filthy. Lots of soaking and scrubbing and inhaling nasty stuff. I didn't do a completely thorough job, but I did think it was prudent to clean anything around the timing belt, hence why the oil pump is sooo shiny. That water pump is brand new too.

No Turbo for now. Not sure they are even officially selling them. I'm sure I'll get sucked into it as funds allow. I did go for the HC oil pan. What a pain to install. A child helper with carny hands sure would have been useful.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
I did go for the HC oil pan. What a pain to install. A child helper with carny hands sure would have been useful.

I'm guessing from your "buildyourown" stand, rotation was impossible? A few of the nuts are limited access but not too bad.
The Bostig exhaust heat shield should almost be mandatory...as you will soon discover.
Good luck and have fun!
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following with great interest.

Seriously thinking about Group 18.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Tyler, you have motivated me... I am getting out the engine cleaner! that thing looks spiffy! while I have it on the stand and I am waiting to hear from Jim, I am going to work with the students to clean this thing up. I am going to take some before and after shots. Wink

Yes, as bosruten asked, did you have the engine upright or upside down for the oilpan install? if it was still right side up, do you think it would help if it were upside down to do the intsall? I may have to have one of my students with crazy carny hands to install the nuts! Laughing
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an 8mm gear wrench makes the oil pan install much more pleasant. Good luck with your install!
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i know is to stay away from the supercharged version they sell. Son in law in SF bought the kit 3/4 yrs. ago from Bostig, had a professional mechanic install it in his synchro westphalia and it has spent more time sitting than running. seems like countless phone calls and emails to bostig personnel has not fixed the problems. Poor fellow, i think he has over ten grand in the conversion and has probably spent another 5 grand in towing bills. Lucky for Bostig they sold it to him and not me.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't offer a supercharged version anymore and haven't for quite sometime. I believe due to issues with the only aftermarket supercharger for the zetec not performing as it was billed to. Your son-in-law's issues with Bostig were a single event and should not mar the reputation Bostig has built over the years. There is an active member of this forum who has a supercharged version that to my knowledge has little to no problems at all. This is not to start a dispute but rather to get some facts out there.
And it's spelled "Syncro Westfalia" for future reference. Cool

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is this has been going on for years with bostig saying they will fix the problems again and again and nothing gets fixed. I think Bostig would just like to forget him and move ahead (leaving son in law holding a big bag of sh*t) that they can't fix or don't have the time or $$ to fix. Just my opinion as a 30 yr. vw guy. sorry for the typo. have been mfg. tools for vw's for 20 yrs. and still can't type/spell.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the thread to discuss issues you've seen other people have with past conversions. There are plenty of other threads that have been ridden off the rails with conjecture and opinions.
Lets keep this one full of content. If you want to bitch, start your own thread.
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really bitchin. just seems if they said they would fix it, they should. all for now, thanks for the open ears/minds
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he misread the title. He thought it said "my son-in-laws Bostig thread"

I have a v.1 Bostig conversion sitting in the garage. Its getting upgraded! I'm impressed with your install so far...that's one clean engine you have there.
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not meaning to hijack, but......

Tell me more about the heat shielding. Does the engine cover get hot?

Also, should I go out and get an 8mm wrench to do the oil pan?

I'm following your thread with interest, I'm so wanting my kit to get here so I can get started.

I've already posted questions on Bostigs site and they get back to me in less than 24hrs, so no complaints so far Very Happy

Keep the pictures comming
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me...even before I started, I had concerns of heat being generated so close to the cover. Obviously, Bostig has addressed this several ways. I figured anything I could do to reduce heat in that area couldn't hurt. I remembered my old ZX11 used to burn my legs with all the heat coming off the header. Never a fan of wrap...I ceramic coated with a noticable difference. I have heard numbers with regard to lower temps. but don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. Nevertheless...$140.00, reused the gasket and bought Bostig's very well built heat shield.

Oil pan...My back hurts so it was easier for me to flip the engine upside down. just don't drop anything! Shocked go buy a wrench.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: