Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

supercharged Bostig conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: supercharged Bostig conversion Reply with quote

Seems i broke the rules by making a statement on another thread, so here goes. how many supercharged Bostig conversions out there and how many have had/still having problems with conversion or advice/service from Bostig? son in law has a Bostig conversion that has been nothing but problems with little to no help from Bostig.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what problems is he having with the conversion
maybe they can be sorted out here

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not cool to dump on someone's build-thread.

You should have your son in law post up the first person particulars, rather than just having you throw out some vague unsubstantiated claims. I'm never going to be a Bostig client, but I've been following them since they first offered their kits. There have been issues that cropped up from time to time, but so far as I've seen they've always made right by the customer. Your claim appears to be quite a statistical outlier

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what surprises me. Seems like an upfront co. but i have been on the speaker phone when he's talking to them and they don't seem to have a clue. not that i do either, but i didn't sell the engine/kit.
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the dump on someone's thread. really don't spend much time on the computer. not really sure about the proper etiquette.
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of us here on the site that are running the Zetec... and we can all offer some kind of direction. I am guessing that he is not in California, and if he is in OR or WA have him contact me, and I will get him to someone that will be able to sort out his issues on the conversion. This particular guy is honestly the best in the west.

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i'll pass it along. my main point is this has been going on for a couple yrs. with nothing resolved. seems that Bostig would step up and get to the bottom of his problems. if i buy something, i expect some support after the purchase. if the supercharger doesn't perform, then they should man up and make it right, since they sold the package to him. he lives in sf.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how thin you slice bologna it still has two sides.

I'd like to hear the other side of this story. I've personally talked to an owner of a supercharged Bostig that was nothing but happy. Here's another side.http://www.bostig.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333&Itemid=230
I don't see any talk of a Bostig supercharged in Cali. In fact I'm pretty sure a Bostig conversion is still not legal in California.
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son I law has
house in Tahoe so not sure may be reg. in Nevada.
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to williamtaylor33. Read the supercharger story on the link. Sounds like they are willing to work with the supercharged kit owners to make things right. Guess we'll see. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageWorldTools wrote:
Thanks to williamtaylor33. Read the supercharger story on the link. Sounds like they are willing to work with the supercharged kit owners to make things right. Guess we'll see. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I think that has been the point in everyones posts directed back at you... the guys at Bostig offer great technical support. They understand the engines they are promoting, and have one of the best feedback systems.
You have restated an issue that has been dealt with in the public and addressed by Bostig and all of their concerns with the suppliers and lack of support that the supercharger producers were giving them.

I think the issue I have with your posts is you are bashing a company that puts their reputation behind the products they sell, when issues arise they do everything in their power to correct it and stand behind it, and all of this without specifics of the actual issue your son-in-law is having.
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brungeman wrote:
I think the issue I have with your posts is you are bashing a company that puts their reputation behind the products they sell, when issues arise they do everything in their power to correct it and stand behind it, and all of this without specifics of the actual issue your son-in-law is having.

X2

Bostig as a company and all of the individuals involved are assets to the Vanagon committee PERIOD Exclamation
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageWorldTools wrote:

Edit: Forgot to answer the thread start question. There are currently 5 supercharged conversions. Rich, Kelly, Brian (just bought Dave's), Rob's(for sale), and Charlie's. Rob and Kelly's are the only ones that still need updates to the current state of things. Rob isn't having issues, but could without the updates. Kelly's is the only one with current problems, and is the only one we haven't been able to work on ourselves for the updates/verification.

Hi Vintage World Tools,

I think things may have changed since you last spoke with Kelly? I called him middle of October to tell him about the latest update and arrange to send him the logging kit (a couple thousand dollar combination setup to allow him easy logging for verification of the latest version of our tune file) which he now has in hand. He's also had a no-start that we haven't yet been able to help him fix at which obviously precludes the logging kit, but my sense is that he is very busy at the moment.

To keep the ball rolling we also made an offer to pay for part of the transport cost to bring the van either to Boston, or to Seattle so we can sort it out ourselves, I believe there have been a number of trips to his mechanic without feedback to us, which has both increased his frustration while not providing a good pathway for correction.

Ultimately we take full responsibility, so his problems are our problems. But also keep in mind from a practical standpoint, what could be addressed in a day or two here could literally take months of back and forth, and even worse cause harm to the situation if we aren't able to directly control the progress and work.

From a customer standpoint, this reality is infuriating, and rightly so. It's a massive flaw in the whole turnkey delivery model. From our standpoint we are somewhat impotent and have to take what we can get and hope for the best unless we can reclaim direct control.

It used to be the case that we were still uncovering *how* we had to correct the SC installs, now it's simply a matter of actually doing it, and verifying it. That itself is huge progress, but it can't guarantee that someone already frustrated with their setup will overnight even want to try anymore as we have lost trust and confidence. That itself can completely kill a project regardless of context or condition. Luckily I don't think Kelly is quite there yet, and sounds upbeat about giving us a chance to get our hands on it in Seattle or Boston.

As far as being on a speakerphone and someone not having a clue, that's entirely possible. There are 3 of us here, and none of us are perfect. I would be interested in the specifics (please call me, I don't bite, and even if I did the phone will protect you), as negative feedback is the most important type we can get since we can then correct it.

What we're not saying is that we're gods and can overcome every single thing that has/will ever come at us as gracefully as we would like. What we are saying though is that we're better prepared and more capable than anyone else in our business right now to do so and have minimized the risks to customers further than anyone with a combination of design work and care. It is not the case that delivering a DIY engine swap system for vanagons to customers is risk-free, easy, or profitable. It is the case though that if we had misjudged the risks of the current product and configuration as we had the supercharged, we would have been out of business before we hit 50 installs from customer complaints alone, we are well on our way to 300.

Please allow us to prove ourselves to you,

Jim Akiba

Last edited by bostig on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
VintageWorldTools wrote:

Hi Vintage World Tools,

I think things may have changed since you last spoke with Kelly? I called him middle of October to tell him about the latest update and arrange to send him the logging kit (a couple thousand dollar combination setup to allow him easy logging for verification of the latest version of our tune file) which he now has in hand. He's also had a no-start that we haven't yet been able to help him fix at which obviously precludes the logging kit, but my sense is that he is very busy at the moment.

To keep the ball rolling we also made an offer to pay for part of the transport cost to bring the van either to Boston, or to Seattle so we can sort it out ourselves, I believe there have been a number of trips to his mechanic without feedback to us, which has both increased his frustration while not providing a good pathway for correction.

Ultimately we take full responsibility, so his problems are our problems. But also keep in mind from a practical standpoint, what could be addressed in a day or two here could literally take months of back and forth, and even worse cause harm to the situation if we aren't able to directly control the progress and work.

From a customer standpoint, this reality is infuriating, and rightly so. It's a massive flaw in the whole turnkey delivery model. From our standpoint we are somewhat impotent and have to take what we can get and hope for the best unless we can reclaim direct control.

It used to be the case that we were still uncovering *how* we had to correct the SC installs, now it's simply a matter of actually doing it, and verifying it. That itself is huge progress, but it can't guarantee that someone already frustrated with their setup will overnight even want to try anymore as we have lost trust and confidence. That itself can completely kill a project regardless of context or condition. Luckily I don't think Kelly is quite there yet, and sounds upbeat about giving us a chance to get our hands on it in Seattle or Boston.

As far as being on a speakerphone and someone not having a clue, that's entirely possible. There are 3 of us here, and none of us are perfect. I would be interested in the specifics (please call me, I don't bite, and even if I did the phone will protect you), as negative feedback is the most important type we can get since we can then correct it.

What we're not saying is that we're gods and can overcome every single thing that has/will ever come at us as gracefully as we would like. What we are saying though is that we're better prepared and more capable than anyone else in our business right now to do so and have minimized the risks to customers further than anyone with a combination of design work and care. It is not the case that delivering a DIY engine swap system for vanagons to customers is risk-free, easy, or profitable. It is the case though that if we had misjudged the risks of the current product and configuration as we had the supercharged, we would have been out of business before we hit 50 installs from customer complaints alone, we are well on our way to 300.

Please allow us to prove ourselves to you,

Jim Akiba

That, folks, is what distinguishes Bostig from most of the other conversion companies! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

That, folks, is what distinguishes Bostig from most of the other conversion companies! Wink

A'yup...

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT /\ /\ /\ right there, is why I will have a Bostig in my vehicle.

as a teacher of high school level students, it is paramount for me to instill a sense of ownership no matter what the situation. The Bostig crew is a stellar example of that. They know they have a great product, but just like any, there can be issues. They own up to it and feel a sense of ownership. They want every customer to be as happy as possible.

I also try to emphasize with my students that we often learn more from failures than we do successes. The Bostig crew again learns from issues and passes on what they have learned with the community.

I feel they have the customer in their best interest as they develop products. And as was shown by the post, they don't run from issues, they would rather fix them!
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished talking with Jim at Bostig, seems like a honest upfront guy. Hope they can finally get all the issues with Kelly's van resolved. Just been frustrating that this has been going on so long.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

For those considering going Bostig - do it. If you're looking to re-power your van, why not support a great company run by honest, passionate folks?
VintageWorldTools
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, this has been going on for over two years. How would you feel if it was your Vanagon? I've had my say, thanks for listening.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageWorldTools wrote:
That's what surprises me. Seems like an upfront co. but i have been on the speaker phone when he's talking to them and they don't seem to have a clue. not that i do either, but i didn't sell the engine/kit.

Sounds to me like they have a clue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: