Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Faron's Build Thread (Purple Money Eater)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Faron's Build Thread (Purple Money Eater) Reply with quote

I have talked a lot about my new Dune Buggy but have not done much to it since I bought it, haven't even started a Build Thread until now. This weekend I started to do a little work on it... I guess I better seeing as I set a completetion date of April 15, 2012. I really want my first show to be the Texas Classic. I am pretty sure I know what it will look like when I am finished, but I have to be honest with myself I know things will change as time goes by.
This is the day that I brought it home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by BuggyFaron on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is right before I got started with the rebuild, I am so excited.

Here it is with the Butt Ugly wheels removed, but I am going to wait to sell them until I have the new set so that I can move it around as needed. (Having a hard time figuring out what I want) I also removed the roll bar, seats, rear view mirrors, and the chrome visors over the Headlights.

The interior is all gutted and ready to go to a Fab Shop to get a couple of supports and the roll cage.

I removed the exhaust because I don't car for it, I have my eye on another. I will also have the Fab Shop make me a cool Bumper that has a bracket for the plate as well as the light for the Plate. I do not plan to go back to Quaalude Purple so all the purple that you see on the suspension, engine, and what not have to go. I think I will paint the tins with a waving Checkerboard Pattern and the rest in Flat Black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking GOOD! Cool

Do you plan on putting metal Beetle spacers between the tail lights and the body? It will align your tail lights better, and look something like this:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start! I look forward to watching this one. It looks like you have a very clean buggy to start with. The floors in the pics look very solid. Good luck with your build! Cool
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriaan pienaar wrote:
Looking GOOD! Cool
Do you plan on putting metal Beetle spacers between the tail lights and the body? It will align your tail lights better, and look something like this:

I am going to try and keep the everything I can off the body. So I am still not sure what I am going to do as far as the lights go. We will see...

pittcrew wrote:
Great start! I look forward to watching this one. It looks like you have a very clean buggy to start with. The floors in the pics look very solid. Good luck with your build! Cool

Thanks, I am going to try and talk to a fab shop about a rollcage this week and we may change up some stuff in there.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Faron's Buggy Build Reply with quote

A friend of mine and I pulled the engine. Now I need to repaint over that purple, and ad a few parts!

Last edited by BuggyFaron on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of advice on the tin; If you dont chemically strip or sandblast the purple off before you paint it, the purple will keep coming back like a boomerang and a bad smell. Every time there is a chip or a scratch, which happens on engine tin sometimes just removing and replacing it, you will see the purple underneath.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
A word of advice on the tin; If you dont chemically strip or sandblast the purple off before you paint it, the purple will keep coming back like a boomerang and a bad smell. Every time there is a chip or a scratch, which happens on engine tin sometimes just removing and replacing it, you will see the purple underneath.

Thank you for the advice, I was thinking about having the blasted. But now I am sure that I will.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before

After

Its not finished yet, but I couldn't wait to post up a pic. I airbrushed the Checker board flag on the fan shroud, I am sure very few people will see it. But I know its there, and it makes me happy. Over the next few days I will be be sanding down the Bugpack Exhaust and repainting it Black, along with installing everything on the engine. Friday I will take the Buggy and Chassis to a guy so that he can do a little chassis work, as well as building me a Roll Cage.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice improvement, the purple was a bit overdone on the engine.....No worries about it being seen, folks will catch that. Very Happy

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sweet!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkered flag...does that mean you will finish this one!!!! Just razzing ya punk...... Looks awesome.. Looks like you got a solid lil buggy there. With some polished centerlines I would so roll that purple.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Checkered flag...does that mean you will finish this one!!!! Just razzing ya punk...... Looks awesome.. Looks like you got a solid lil buggy there. With some polished centerlines I would so roll that purple.

Thank you, and yes, I am going to finish this one. If I don't, you can come to Abq and I will give you a free shot. LOL I so deserve the razzing, after two failed attempts! That purple is going away, the color looks great in the pics. But its not that great in person, and I want to break out the airbrushes on this one. I still have no idea what I am going to do about wheels. I am thinking black center with a polished lip.

I think I said it in my last post, but I am looking forward to taking it to the Fab Shop Friday to have some chassis work and a Rollcage. I am pumped!

I put the exhaust on to see if it fit okay before I sanded it all down to give it a fresh coat of flat black exhaust paint(It was all scratched up out of the box). Unfortunately I don't want it to be flat black so I am going to have to stop on my way home to get another can that gas a little more gloss. Ohh well, more paint will be better!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...you just need the RIGHT purple...and less of it on the drums, engine, etc, like you are doing.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your buggy looks great, but I really want to go with a lot darker purple. With some flames, waving checkerboard, and some old plane panels. Gonna put my airbrushes to good use! The paint looks great in the pics, but it has runs, and tons of drilled holes from previous owners. I will be starting on the body work right after the new year. Whoop Whoop
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darker would be good, especially if you are going to accent it with flames, etc.

If you are going with paint rather than gelcoat, look at something called "prism flake"...not as heavy as metalflake, it will give the area you leave in that darker color some drama so that the color doesn't become just a canvas for the flames. I have some in my paint...disappears on a cloudy day but really lights up when the sun is out.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all kinds of talking and waiting to see my Street Buggy with the roll cage in it, I finally have it home. I am very happy with it and look forward to getting it all cleaned up and painted. But for now this is how it looks!

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks slick!!!!!
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET!!!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome. Cool

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: