Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bra replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Bra replacement Reply with quote

We have a bra on the Silver Flash ('90 Westy). Visually, I can live without it very nicely but... I sure don't want to see all the rock hits digging up the paint and leaving rust spots. What about clear plastic coatings? Does anyone have experience with them? What about sourcing them or having them installed? Somehow I suspect these aren't an off-the-shelf item.

"Input! Need input!" -- Johnny Five in Short Circuit
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pro-bra people and anti-bra people. I'm pro-bra. After 10 years of use, my van's original bra was recently replaced with a new one. The bra is used on every road trip and there is only one rock chip... just below the windshield where the bra doesn't cover.

That clear-bra stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
There are pro-bra people and anti-bra people. .

True enough, I'm in the anti-bra camp. The one that the PO of my van had on it beat the crap out of the paint job (completely bare of paint around the corners, the rest has lost is shine). It may have been user error etc but... I would rather have rock chips than the screwed up paint I've been left with.

And I also just don't like the looks of a bra but that's personal opinion.

My folks have something called Diamond Shield on their RV. I suppose that's a clear plastic coating. I can't even tell it's on there when I look.

My plan is to get the front of my van repainted and possibly get some kind of clear coating to protect from chips.

I
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
The one that the PO of my van had on it beat the crap out of the paint job (completely bare of paint around the corners, the rest has lost is shine). It may have been user error etc but... I would rather have rock chips than the screwed up paint I've been left with.

I prefer no rock chips and not having to respray every so often.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Use them correctly, bras and car covers do more good than harm... in my experience anyway. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran a bra for the first 15 yrs of owning my van and while it did protect it from all the misc rock dings etc it caused some paint bubbling on the sides next to the doors and some wear marks where the bra attached at 4 points , i never ran the bra wet and always took it off to breathe so it wouldnt screw up the paint, you cant put bras on and just leave them on for a number of years ....do i run it now? no only because it wont fit with the lower sa grill do i miss it nope , after 19 plus years of ownership i have realized i only drive it in nice weather & dont tailgate...that being said if someone made one that would fit a sa lower grill set up i would run another one in a second i think the benefits outweigh the negatives
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use some advice on a bra. We have a 91 with the fiberglass bumpers. While looking for bras I see two options, metal bumper and fiberglass bumper from the way the ads are written it sounds like I have to buy the one designed for fiberglass bumpers. These cover my bumper as well as the front of the Westfalia. I like the look and the full coverage but know I will be replacing my front bumper with one that offers more protection and a front receiver.

I will not be needing it to cover the bumper in fact that wont even be an option as I will probably be going with a RMW bumper or similar style.

Is there a reason I can not purchase a bra designed for the metal bumper and install it with or without the stock fiberglass bumper?
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bra i bought from VW OEM came stitched with vanagon under drivers side , fit was great not loose very tight fit and it did not cover my fiberglass bumper, that sounds a little cheezy, never seen a bra cover the bumber too...do you have a link
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am reading the ads wrong and have the picture wrong in my head. I have been looking at Van-Cafe and GW.

I do not have the skills to post a link from my phone, shoots I don't even know how to yet from my laptop.

It seems strange to me that one will not work on the other.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Westys' bra was bought off from ebay for $30. It was and still is in great condition, minus a little
stitch job on one of the hooks. I don't think I would let my Westy go without it. The roads
seem to be under construction constantly during the summer months that my Westy is on the
road, a little protection of the front end goes a long way!! Besides I think it looks good too!

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Use them correctly, bras and car covers do more good than harm... in my experience anyway.

Yet, you could never tell how beautiful the paint is if your bra was hiding it! Very Happy

Reminds me of a Dickens' story that you sometime read this time of year.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint under the bra is OK. OTOH, windshield is testimony to the sandblasting (and rock hits - two small rock hits in the lower left or driver's side corner) the front end has endured. The windshield will be replaced shortly. We don't want to wind up de-rusting and re-painting the front. The current bra shifts around a bit and can slacken to the point where it starts to buzz (stop, re-tighten, drive on - not fun on the Interstate, and not the safest maneuver...). That's getting old but we need some added protection for the nose.

So the original questions: "What about clear plastic coatings? Does anyone have experience with them? What about sourcing them or having them installed?"
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M clear protective coating is good if put on correctly.when it 1st came out once it got old it would have a yellow tint to it.seen it aftr it's been on for awhile and you want to take it off it will peel the paint off too.after it's been on there awhile and you wash your car it will have sratches in it you can't get out if not careful.worked in the new and used car dept. for a cadillac dealership where it was installed next to me.was thinking about getting bra myself because paint so chipped on front.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pro-bra-removal. Every one I've encountered seems to chafe and leave marks underneath.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I would have thought there'd be a lot more wise-cracks on this thread.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinal Tap wrote:
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I would have thought there'd be a lot more wise-cracks on this thread.

Don't be a Boob!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm pro-bra-removal. Every one I've encountered seems to chafe and leave marks underneath.

we are still talking about Vanagons here, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bra less. I don't really like the look of them.

but I would consider doing the clear plastic film bra type thing, I believe tint shops will apply it for you.

someone should make a magnetic-sheet plastic bra that just sticks on but still looks more or less like it's not there....or maybe a place for graphics

I'd be down for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I puzzled over the best way to protect the nose of my van. I questioned the value of using a bra to protect the paint but why bother if I never see the paint because it's covered. I also worried about water getting behind the bra and doing damage. I decided to paint the bra on with the same stuff I used for the lower quarter of the van. I like the blacked out look and if it does chip or fade I'll just put a fresh coat on. I know this isn't for everyone but it works for me.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

we are still talking about Vanagons here, right?

I left that suitably ambiguous, but to reiterate...I'm pro-bra-removal

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

someone should make a magnetic-sheet plastic bra that just sticks on but still looks more or less like it's not there....or maybe a place for graphics

I'd be down for that.

Perhaps vinyl graphics, like car wraps. Heck, you could even pick out something to show the total awesomeness of your van
I sorta like this one http://www.vinylgraphics.net/shopexd.asp?id=711 but I was hoping for 3 wolves howling at the moon.

Gotta go, got a craving for some Tuscan milk.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: