Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Tiico Engine Questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKAvant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Tiico Engine Questions Reply with quote

I'm helping work on my friend's '85 Vanagon Weekender with the Eurospec Tiico swap. It has a rough/dying issue at idle when the engine warms up. It smooths out somewhat as revs increase.

My first question is what is the story on these engines? I understand that they are partly South African in origin?
It has the engine code 2E which is basically an ABA but the fueling system is entirely different than any ABA I've worked on. The intake is on the same side as the exhaust and there is an Idle Control Valve and a Cold Start Valve like on the old 2.0 16v (engine code 9A) with the CIS-E & Motronic engine management systems. But the VAG-com port is OBDII.

I have some ideas about the bad idle issue (coolant temp sensor, injectors etc.) I plugged in the VAG-com and its light lit up green but I was unable to link up with the ECU. So that made me begin worrying that something was wrong with the ECU (bad ground?).

I guess I'm just asking how to best tackle this motor since I really have no clue how its engine management is designed. The engine's compression was good but I still haven't checked timing.

Any and all tips and ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go here i have tiico conversion.these people can help http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiico/ .all the question can be answered there.search here's 2E engine 037 100 103 DX 2000 A2 GOLF / JETTA, FUEL INJ. 2E
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ken at vanagain.com did some ticco work and is a top notch guy. Check his site and drop him a line.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to give Foreign Auto in Harpswell,Maine a call
about using vag com with the tiico. They are the tiico importer/dealer
now. I don't think it's an ECU failure but they just got in a
shipment of a newer more tunable ecu. Dont know what's left.
The group mentioned above is also a great resource for info.
Not as active as it used to be but still alive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also a very common engine conversion choice in the UK. You are going to find more answers on the brickyard forum. Someone posted there about a 2e today BTW.

tencentlife wrote:
...most are doing what most auto forum participants do, parroting things they've heard
AKAvant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: