Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pop out quarter windows
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: pop out quarter windows Reply with quote

Has anyone installed the pop out kit from cip1? How is the quality? My 57 doesn't have original pop outs so how hard will it be to install them? Thanks guys
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictorial of an install of them here ( pages 17 and 18 )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...;start=320

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:38 am; edited 2 times in total
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the ones from MidAmerica (maybe the same set) for my 64. I've been pretty pleased so far.
jjrose110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope,

Do you remember the manufacturer? I bought a set from Mid-america also. But when they came, I googled the name on the box and I could have gotten them direct for around $30-$40 less.

I'm just drawing a blank on the site now.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ears are ringing... who is the vendor that supplies the ones on page 17 -18 with the sekurit logo? Would love to get my hands on a set of those...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eis?
http://www.eisparts.com/113898400A.html
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

targetinspect wrote:
My ears are ringing... who is the vendor that supplies the ones on page 17 -18 with the sekurit logo? Would love to get my hands on a set of those...

Koch
jjrose110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EIS.... That is them! Thanks Erik G.

Bdub475, you can do your own price shopping, but a few years ago they were what I would consider significantly cheaper.

Also, one of my hinges were not stamped into the correct "S" shape, so the screws would not go into the threaded bar. I called Mid America, and they referred me to EIS to get a replacement anyway.

So there might be some benefit getting them right from the source other than cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank alot guys. i think the guy in the tread said that eis put their name on the glass if i read it right. ill try to pm him and see were he ordered his, thanks a lot again guys
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjrose110 wrote:
drscope,

Do you remember the manufacturer? I bought a set from Mid-america also. But when they came, I googled the name on the box and I could have gotten them direct for around $30-$40 less.

I'm just drawing a blank on the site now.....

I don't remember - it's been a few years. I'll go out and see if there is anything on the window latter.
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I had a set of EIS 1/4's on the 62. They have a bead blasted etched logo EIS that is rather large and quite impossible to remove, the latches are not right, the knobs, they come in black and you cannot replace them with the ivory, they don't fit. Koch's info and or website is?
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

targetinspect wrote:
Yep, I had a set of EIS 1/4's on the 62. They have a bead blasted etched logo EIS that is rather large and quite impossible to remove, the latches are not right, the knobs, they come in black and you cannot replace them with the ivory, they don't fit. Koch's info and or website is?

i thought i read in another thread somewhere on thesamba that eis etched their logo on the glass...which is why i didn't want them. i also understand that they do the same thing to their windshields.

i'm glad "targetinspect" chimed in confirming this as well as mention the other problems.

here's koch's contact info:

Tel: (661) 268-1341
Fax: (661) 268-7011
Email: [email protected]

(their steering wheel section is www.kochssteeringwheels.com)

the phone number will probably put you in touch with teresa...very knowledgeable and helpful. also, they have a banner on the samba. look at the top, right of any page on this website and click the "see all samba banner ads"...you'll find their info and the link there as well.

i stumbled upon an advertisement in the classifieds for their popouts several months ago (i did a search...couldn't find it) when they happened to have my steering wheel which was getting recast/restored. when teresa called me to let me know the steering wheel was finished and being shipped, i asked about the pop outs. she said they were out of stock but were expecting them soon...would i like to be added to the list? a month later i got the call they were in, so i ordered them. $450 + shipping ($12 to ohio).

i'm very satisfied with them!

my '57 rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369883
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: pop out installation Reply with quote

to benefit future searches of "pop outs", here's my instructions for installing them which has been copied and pasted from pages 17-18 of the "build thread" in my signature.

i recently purchased reproduction pop-out windows from koch’s. these are the later style with the ribbed trim for late ovals and early big-window beetles.

unfortunately, they did not include installation instructions. i didn’t find much help after searching through thesamba’s forums. so, i guess i will have to figure it out myself.

it’s a good thing this is me:

Link

so…what’s in the box?

first there’s the windows, which are preassembled with the rubber molding and chrome trim.

continuing clockwise in the photo below, also included are two threaded retaining strips, a bag of hardware, two latches (left and right), two plastic covers and two u-channel gaskets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

etched into the glass is a “sekurit” logo. I was relieved it didn’t say “koch’s” or some other incorrect manufacturer...i.e., i hear eis puts their name on their windshields.

unlike the earlier pop-out windows (which have a piano hinge along the front edge), these have an “s” shaped aluminum hinge.

looking from the top, i placed the threaded retaining strip next to the hinge…

…which slides into the hinge as shown below. the blue arrow points to the retaining strip.

red arrow points to the gap in the hinge which slides onto the flange of the window opening.

here’s another picture. the red arrow points to the gap in the hinge mentioned previously and the green arrow points to the flange of the window opening. this is where the outer quarter panel and the inner quarter panel are spot-welded together at the factory.

my '57 rebuild:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: pop out installation con't... Reply with quote

i removed the hinge from the window…

…then i measured the distance between the outer edges of the chrome molding. looking at the bottom edge, i get 12 ½” (red arrow).

i wanted to see if the split in the molding was halfway between the outer edges (or, if the hinge is centered on the window). it isn’t…the split is at 6 ⅛” (white arrow)…not 6 ¼”.

so, the hinge is ⅛” from center, with the upper portion being shorter than the lower.

i taped masking paper into the window opening and traced the edge of the flange.

then i removed the paper and folded it in half…which gave me a centerline (red arrow).

i marked a parallel line ⅛” above this line (blue arrow) to locate the center of the aluminum hinge. the green arrow points to the mark i made on the flange.

here’s a view from the inside of the hinge placed on the flange.

makes sense?

the red arrows in the photo below point to the marks i made locating the holes i need to drill into the flange.

also notice that the window is placed into the opening. i double-checked everything to ensure the window fit into the opening and the hinge lined up with the threaded holes in the chrome trim.

getting the window to fit in the opening was a major pain in the butt. i smeared soapy water onto the gasket and carefully (hoping i wouldn’t break the glass) pushed it in place.

the gasket wants to fight you every step of the way. the front edge was the most difficult.

i wound up using a dull screwdriver (so i didn’t tear the gasket) to help coax the gasket to flare out.

i started at the top…

…slid the screwdriver around the front…

…and down towards the bottom.

my '57 rebuild:
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: pop out installation con't... Reply with quote

i measured the diameter of the screws from the retaining strip (which are 4mm x 070 thread). they are about .1575" in diameter, so i used a #21 drill bit (∅.1590”).

after i was satisfied the hinge was in the proper location, i drilled the holes i marked earlier into the flange.

i installed the retaining strip…elongating a few holes as necessary to ensure all the screws seated properly without binding.

a view of the screws from the inside…

then i installed the hinge to make sure everything fit.

i removed the hinge from the car and reinstalled it onto the window. then i slid the hinge onto the flange using a screwdriver to coax the gasket along the front edge as shown before.

when the holes in the hinge aligned with the holes in the flange, i taped the window onto the car with duct tape…(it would be better to have a friend, spouse, or those of you with alternative lifestyles, a significant other, hold the window in place).

then i installed the threaded strip onto the hinge to secure the window in place. this was really a bitch to install…those of you with three arms may find it a breeze. you have to hold the threaded strip into position, place/hold a screw into one of the holes and use the screwdriver to drive it home.

after the first one, the others aren’t so bad.

my '57 rebuild:
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: pop out installation con't... Reply with quote

the next thing to do is install the small bracket onto the aft end of the window. two 4mm x 070 countersunk screws secure it into position.

the latch is already assembled…just screw the one end onto the previously installed bracket.

note: there is a left and right latch…make sure you install the correct one…although, it’s hard to mix them up.

i pushed the window into the opening as far as it would go.

after taping the window in place, i folded up the latch and let it rest onto the inside of the quarter panel…i just let it sit where it naturally wanted to go. then i held it in position with tape.

i carefully opened and closed the window a few times to double-check that the latch was in the proper location.

then i marked the place i wanted to drill a hole (red arrow).

the sheet metal screws needed to secure the bracket to the quarter panel are not included in the kit.

so, i went to the hardware store to buy some self-tapping stainless steel sheet-metal screws. (say that three times fast).

i’m not sure what size screws i bought…i forgot to write it down. but, i measured the inside diameter of the screw which was about .098 in diameter, so i used a #40 drill bit to drill the hole.

then i installed a screw to cut the threads.

i installed the latch...

…then, after testing the window to ensure it opened and closed okay, i drilled and installed the other three screws.

here’s a picture of the window opened and the latch extended.

the latch closed:

my '57 rebuild:
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: pop out installation con't... Reply with quote

here’s a close-up of the cross-section of the gasket that was included with the kit. this covers the flange of the window opening.

starting at the bottom end of the hinge, i pressed the gasket onto the flange all around the window opening. as you can see, there’s plenty of material included with the kit.

another picture of the gasket installed…

i placed masking tape on the gasket to locate the top of the hinge. the red arrow points to the lower edge of the tape which is the trim line.

using wire cutters, i cut the gasket and pressed it back onto the flange as shown below.

next we need to remove the two screws as shown by the red arrows in the photo below.

the plastic cover is installed using two countersunk 4mm x 070 thread x 12mm long screws which were not included in the kit. stainless steel screws were available at the hardware store.

after playing with the windows, i couldn’t figure out the purpose of the set screw in the ivory knob (red arrow). if i screwed it all the way in, it locks the knob onto the shaft which prevents the knob from being turned…so you can’t open and close the window. is it a security thing?

my '57 rebuild:
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: pop out installation con't... Reply with quote

the finished installation...

another view…

repeat for the other side…we're done!

my '57 rebuild:
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: white window welting Reply with quote

just another note...

notice the koch's kit came with black welting and a black cover.

wolfsburg west sells ivory welting and an ivory cover:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113847129A

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113847131A

both items are currently in stock. i will order a set for my car as the ivory color would better match the beige cloth interior i plan to install.

i'll report back how it goes.

tim

my '57 rebuild:
tinlizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tutorial, Tim!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: