Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dubjeep's 1970 fixer-upper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
str8buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good project, can't wait to follow your progress.

1970 Beetle 1600SP <--build thread (0\ ! /0)....SOLD

19__ VW _(insert next project here)__
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Ignition Key read this.
http://www.vw-resource.com/ignition_switch_replacement.html

Take your time do it right. Pull the engine clean it up replace seals. You will be glad you did. Scout out the correct distributor also.
A 1600 single port is rock solid engine.

What is the right distributor? I have learned enough from this site that the 009 is a generic replacement, and my service records tell me that it was installed in 1998. What about the carb? Is it stock?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the hole I believe I need to drill. Thanks to Luft Kuhl for the pic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbigmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on the side of the fuel bowl on the driver's side, it will tell you what model carburetor you have.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home. Frustrated. Ignition is really getting to me. I cannot drill the hole with the switch still on the column. I cannot get the switch off of the column with the steering lock engaged. I cannot use a slide hammer because it would break the steering lock. I appreciate everybody's suggestions, and the links posted, but unfortunately all the information I have found relies on having the key. I think I'm going to have to call a locksmith Sad
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to disconnect the steering shaft from the coupler under the fuel tank to get enough movement with everything.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called a few locksmiths. The best price I got was $145!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I needed a column/housing I bought the hole assembly for ~$40 off a local guy parting out a car.

Consider replacing the entire housing casting, especially if the land around the snap-ring groove for retaining the insulated bearing is broken.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New cylinder with 2 keys

car in "garage"

and the carb (solex 30 pict-3)
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new ignition cylinder is in and the wheel is back together. I just have to reconnect the wires. Does anybody know of any plugs that I can use instead of butt connecting the wires back together? I'd like to make it "plug and play"
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
The new ignition cylinder is in and the wheel is back together. I just have to reconnect the wires. Does anybody know of any plugs that I can use instead of butt connecting the wires back together? I'd like to make it "plug and play"

Excellent, unfortunately what you're describing is a `72+ "modular" car - which uses special plugs to eliminate the wiring involved in earlier cars. The electrical portion of the modular switches is more prone to failure, but easily changed out. I carry a spare in my modular cars, and an extra in the garage.

There should be no butt connectors at all...the electrical portion of the ignition switch has several wires with crimped female spade connectors that have corresponding male connectors in several locations.

With the correct tools and fittings you could make a single plug - but this component should rarely ever need to be serviced, and the expense/complexity doesn't warrant the effort IMO.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Vellat wrote:
danno627 wrote:

Excellent, unfortunately what you're describing is a `72+ "modular" car - which uses special plugs to eliminate the wiring involved in earlier cars. The electrical portion of the modular switches is more prone to failure, but easily changed out. I carry a spare in my modular cars, and an extra in the garage.

There should be no butt connectors at all...the electrical portion of the ignition switch has several wires with crimped female spade connectors that have corresponding male connectors in several locations.

With the correct tools and fittings you could make a single plug - but this component should rarely ever need to be serviced, and the expense/complexity doesn't warrant the effort IMO.

I know what you're saying here... believe me I wish I could have just unplugged the whole assembly. But once I unwrapped the electrical tape from around the wiring I realized that the wires were butt connected (for the turn signal, not the ignition. I unplugged the ignition wires and just cut the butt connectors. I was thinking of finding a multi-wire plug for the seven other wires so I could plug and unplug them, but I think I'll just butt connect them back together.
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can still use the wiring as intended for the ignition stuff? Do so, far superior to the butt connector method. For the hacked-up turn-signal stuff, I'd recommend soldering before crimping, but everyone has their own preference...They're quite simply replaced as well.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in contact with a guy who has a bunch of vw body parts and he has a hood and 2 front fenders. They are the right year and the hood has the vents like mine. I haven't seen them but it's only an hour and a half drive. Do you think the parts will fit in my Cherokee? Probably. Maybe. Rolling Eyes
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pick up a new hood, with all associated hardware, and two front fenders on Friday for $180. All NOS. I'm taking the wife's Element because with the rear seats out there is a ton of cargo space.
70autostick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome "garage"! I need something like that for my baja to keep the pollen off. Smile

Looking forward to seeing a fresh face on that bug. Cool
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the hood, but not the fenders. He said he had a bunch of fenders but when I got there he only had one of the correct fenders and it was way too light to be OG. Oh well I got the hood for $100. It doesn't have any chrome or emblems, but the latch looks ok and works. I'm glad to have gotten the hood at least. I'll post some out of the car pictures soon.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hood pics today... It just wasn't important to me after I went outside to warm up my Jeep that wasn't there...
Now that I don't have a daily driver I have to decide whether to get the bug running or to buy something else. If I decide to get the bug running, this thread should quicken its pace a bit.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying a CR-V so all recent cash was diverted from my still not named bug. I hope in the next few weeks to get the fuel tank out while I'm still looking for fenders. Would you guys pull the fender for easier access? Also I found a dime sized hole in the passenger door section of the heater channel Confused
RDbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro.I like your portable tent slash garage.What is it called on the market? I have been looking around for one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: