Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig vs. Tiico
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ervc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Bostig vs. Tiico Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I just finished my first 500 miles on my new Bostig conversion and I wanted to share my experience as it relates to the Tiico experience that the Bostig replaced. The focus of this posting isn't to start an engine debate, that has been done numerous times. I just thought it might be nice to share and give folks some extra information. And honestly, the guys at Bostig were so amazing that I just had to give them some positive feedback.

I installed my Tiico in 2004 and was never completely pleased for a lot of the same reasons that have been hashed out before. Vibrations, poor torque, interference engine, SA parts for some things, cracking exhaust, weird fault codes etc. I gave it a good go. Upgraded to the high output ecu and wiring harness. Then upgraded to the new FAS ECU and exhaust sytem. Never seemed to get it where I wanted it and I always thought it ran rich no matter what I did to lean it out (unless it was really lean and that is no good). The guys at FAS were great and helped as much as they could but it just didn't work for me. The final killer was the freezing throttle body that would stick in my cold Alaskan winters. That was dangerous and it was time for it to go.

I did the Bostig Turnkey and it was an amazing experience. The kit was true to it's name. I didn't have to buy anything that the guys didn't tell me about in the documentation (I downloaded it before the kit arrived). That included a new clutch, high pressure fuel line, and various shop supplies needed for the engine removal and install. Removal happened on a Saturday and install happend on a Sunday. How cool is that? Even cooler, stuck the key in the ignition and it fired right up! No troubleshooting and no head scratching. I just couldn't believe it! The videos were great when I got stuck on something or just neeeded a visual to back up what I just did. Took me until the next weekend (life and work called) to get my datalogs to the guys so I could get it out for a drive. Most of that was on a Saturday and when I called the shop Jim picked up the phone and helped me out. Fellas, I'm a Doctor and I take call and sometimes my response time is longer than these guys. Pretty impressive. So enough about the install, it was great. That is all I can say.

The driving experience has been surprising. In a good way. I really did this conversion for the upcoming turbo option. But this thing drives way better than the Tiico even though they are supposed to be similar in HP. More torque, more pep, better gas mileage, more quiet, and no vibes!! That is the huge part, no vibes!! No ratting shifter. Woo hoo! I love running it up past 6K. Keeping up with traffic and not having to down shift as much has been very nice. I feel better and more in control of the management system with the SCT X3 giving me data to check. I had weird thoughts and reservations about a Ford engine in the back but I really like that little engine. The fact that I'm mixing brands doesn't really matter to me now. The whole experience has been very positive.

Ok, hope my experience helps. I honestly think that there are many great options for our Vanagons. All have their pluses and minuses. Good luck with what you choose. Beep, Beep!!!
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear of your experience!

I've had a Tiico in my Syncro since 2001 and worked through the problems you mention. (After that time, one would hope...) It's pretty much trouble-free at this point.

Did the FAS upgraded ECU make a difference? My main complaint is that the Tiico doesn't have a lot of power--maybe that would help? Pushing a loaded Syncro Westy up a hill, esp. at elevation, is like engine torture, should be illegal.

One problem I've had that others don't mention is the exhaust downpipe overheats my driver side shock and pops the seals, even though they're OME's and aren't supposed to do that. I had to put in a heat shield.

Anyway, congrats, glad you're happy with the Bostig. We can't get those in CA due to CARB restrictions, so it's the Tiico or nada for me. Maybe a 1.8T down the line...
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your feedback. Its helping me through the decision process. I think the fun factor of doing the installation is part of whats drawing me towards the bostig Smile Ford cars have always had a reputation in my mind as being rattly and poor workmanship, (always had respect for their trucks though) but I never doubted their engines to the same degree. Besides if the engine does pop, just go grab a new one and install it again yourself! The investment is in Bostigs parts, which im sure is good for a long time. I bet most people spend more money on their tires than a ZTEC.
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that your Tiico to Bostig conversion went well! No issues on installation coming from a Tiico?

When my Tiico dies I'm either going Bostig or rebuild an ABA block. Right now it's running pretty good though. It lacks the low end grunt from the old WB but I do like the fuel economy (I'm getting about 22mpg). I also had abit of the vibration issue and a cracked exhaust but generally I'm satisfied. For now...
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any truth in that the Zetec engines are getting harder to find?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjetta wrote:
Is there any truth in that the Zetec engines are getting harder to find?

The new crates are scarce. There are a few floating around.
Junk yard engines are still plentiful. Mine has close to 100k miles on it and started right up. No issues at all.
ervc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issues on installation coming from a tiico. I didn't have to do anything special.

The FAS upgraded ECU gave me a smoother idle and eliminated the "ghost fault codes". I didn't really notice a huge effect on output.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the red line on the Ztec?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: