Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Westy/intermittent high idle/hot start problems....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerome burley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: 91 Westy/intermittent high idle/hot start problems.... Reply with quote

Hello new friends,

My name is Jerome and I am new to this forum, but not new to VW's. I have had my 91 "weekender" since 96.
Over the years, the van will start idling high after warm. If I turn her off during this, she will not start. Appears flooded. Wait min of 20 minutes, foot to the floor, and she catches. Some fuel smell, some smoke, and runs fine untill the next time. She is stock. The van will purr and run perfect, and then this happens. She sits most of the cold winters here, but I at least start her up and keep the battery up.
I have changed plugs, wires, rotor cap. Have cleaned the grounds, but not for a few years. Am going out to do this now.
I found this site and hope someone else has found a remedy to this problem.
I keep reading about a "temp sensor" but it appears I do not have one. It is not a syncro. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this subject.
Nice being here, Jerome Confused
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy/intermittent high idle/hot start problems.... Reply with quote

jerome burley wrote:
...I keep reading about a "temp sensor" but it appears I do not have one...

I believe you do and you are right to be thinking about it. This:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_665_749/coolant_temp._sensor_w_o-ring.html

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4068&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Can be easily checked right at the ECU plug or at the sensor itself, details are in the Bentley or the ProTraining manual:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Vanagon%20Digifant%20Fuel%20Injection%20System.pdf
jerome burley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ahwahnee! Wink
jerome burley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up on my first thread.

Changed out the coolant temp sensor on my 91, and on the same day cleaned all the grounds to shining I could find. (Connectors looked sound so I left them)
Results: Seems to run smoother, idle better than I can remember for many moons.
Went camping this weekend, very hot in the 90's and she started every time, first time, and continues to run smooth. Definately the scenario in which I have been having start issues.
So far soooo good.
I am grateful for this forum, and thanks to all those past and present that helped!
Hope this helps someone else as well.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: