Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Toyota 94 pistons - Hot VW article
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sullydog93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Toyota 94 pistons - Hot VW article Reply with quote

Is it worth the trouble, probable high cost?
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air cooled piston has different metallurgy, expansion characteristics and dimensions than a water cooled piston...................................then again, maybe Gene Berg was wrong.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have aftermarket chevy pistons in mine --- no problems
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a cool idea, but as the article states, you have to modify them a bit. I'd try it someday!

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
An air cooled piston has different metallurgy, expansion characteristics and dimensions than a water cooled piston...................................then again, maybe Gene Berg was wrong.

Nonsense, they run the same clearances, same material, same expansion rates.
That piston FYI is dirt cheap, made and sold in the after market by NPR of Japan
Same old NPR that sold VW P&C kits back in the 80's. But that dish is a POS! Even machined down it's no good in an air cooled unless it's gone and that can't happen, not enough material there.

I'n working on another piston at the moment from another engine, it's a forged 94mm
Mahle with teflon coated skirts. Pretty much the same thing everyone is used to seeing.
Would be considered a B piston and is a flat top with 4 small valve reliefs (not that it matters in a VW)
I'll have more details to post up at the later end of next week if it looks like a viable candidate, and the parts source shows their readily available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya Ive been looking at that piston too.and thinking about a 4 or 5 valve set of heads to go with it.
there is no mettelergy to it,just about everybody has a different mix,(alloy)it depends on how you set it up and what the cylinder does.the piston dont know or care WTF it is in. I thought about putting a set of my je 4 1/2"bore pistons in one of my scrap motors just fer the hell of it.might have to split a set of heads to do it, but thats not an issue.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also the Icon 92mm toyota pistons. forged, no valve reliefs, basiclly C pin height, and fairly reasonable priced. combined with a set of AA thickwall cylinders another very viable option...ken...
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
there's also the Icon 92mm toyota pistons. forged, no valve reliefs, basiclly C pin height, and fairly reasonable priced. combined with a set of AA thickwall cylinders another very viable option...ken...

true and i think they do have A height equivalents too?

one of the reason why i orderd a set of AA thickwalls..

u never know when you'd
need em ' Cool

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
I havent seen the icons, hows the forging?light or what?slipper?
tmcdade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
luckystiff wrote:
I havent seen the icons, hows the forging?light or what?slipper?

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/icon/icon.php?action=details&P_id=616

I was looking for a set of forged 88's, and found quite a few with .866"/22mm pins - the hard part is finding them without 4 deep valve reliefs or huge dish. If I could've found some without those 2 issues, I would've ran them. I didn't see that HVW issue, but I say go for it
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a nice piece.my hyd roller cam motor was going to be a small motor(around 2000cc), but things change.I wonder how thick the dome is?it states it is for boosted apps, so it may have some extra under there along with being made right for the app.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRP1 wrote:
DarthWeber wrote:

Nonsense, they run the same clearances, same material, same expansion rates.
That piston FYI is dirt cheap, made and sold in the after market by NPR of Japan
Same old NPR that sold VW P&C kits back in the 80's. But that dish is a POS! Even machined down it's no good in an air cooled unless it's gone and that can't happen, not enough material there.

I'n working on another piston at the moment from another engine, it's a forged 94mm
Mahle with teflon coated skirts. Pretty much the same thing everyone is used to seeing.
Would be considered a B piston and is a flat top with 4 small valve reliefs (not that it matters in a VW)
I'll have more details to post up at the later end of next week if it looks like a viable candidate, and the parts source shows their readily available.

Nonsense...anything that runs hotter is going to have different expansion characteristics. Lesson learned years ago in Metallurgy 101. Watercooled vehicles won't see the temps that air-cooled vehicles see.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true -- BUT aircooled engines run completely different tolerances than water cooled --- It is also true there is a completely different set of op temps in a boost engine vs. an NA engine -- -- if you setup a piston to wall clearance for the application you will enjoy success
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. So who here has done this? I read the article, and now I'm really interested in piston alternatives for many reasons beyond them simply being cheaper. I wouldn't really use Toyota 94s in a 1915, due to the high RPMs that it can potentially put out, thus ruining the cast pistons, but what about a Toyota 92mm option for a 2180? You probably wouldn't go over 8k in a well built 2180, so cast pistons are a more viable option. How much machining needs to be done, and where? What cars do the 92s and 94s come out of?

I'm no tuning wizard, but my only fear is that the pistons may expand more than aircooled pistons, in theory, increasing friction, heat and damaging internals faster, but then again, I know dick about this kind of thing, so I'll let you magic men figure it out.
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: pistons Reply with quote

[quote="SRP1"]
DarthWeber wrote:

Nonsense, they run the same clearances, same material, same expansion rates.quote]

Then why do Wiseco's require extra skirt clearance? I see they have gained the nickname: "Seizeco"...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: pistons Reply with quote

[quote="neil68"]
SRP1 wrote:
DarthWeber wrote:

Nonsense, they run the same clearances, same material, same expansion rates.quote]

Then why do Wiseco's require extra skirt clearance? I see they have gained the nickname: "Seizeco"...

It is a matter of being cast vs forged. Forged pistons expand more so they need more clearance.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonsence, not because there forged,in reality they run cooler with less hot spots,but some have an isolation slot and some have holes in the oil ring slot.and there are may different types of aluminum, je had a higher silocon content than sieezco's, & Ive seen a lot more wizassco pistons with broken ring lands too. different pistons take different clearances in iferent applications. a car(wattercooler) bored & honed corectly can work at .0015 with some pistons, now the exzact same motor in a boat will seezzee in a hurry. why??? because the pistons run the same temp in both motors. but the cylinders in the boat have a big supply of nice cool water to keep them cool cool is small, so the piston expands as normal but cylinders dont so they grab each other.,but bearing clearances are about (some .001 more on a boat.)the same as they have hot oil keeping all at the same temp. but there isant a "special"piston for any of it aircooled watter cooled what ever the piston dont care it is going to run about the same temp for it's material(cast or forged, then there is the hyperutectic witch run even hotter) the piston dosent know or care what it is in.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SRP1"]
DarthWeber wrote:

Any word?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word is... nonsense Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is looking at a subaru piston probably
The subi piston is very short skirt, the pin is 1mm bigger

the aircooled piston probably does run a bit hotter than some other engines, but not anything that a little extra clearance won't make up for
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: