Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quad CHT gauge?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
acepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Quad CHT gauge? Reply with quote

Does anyone make a quad CHT gauge (gauge in one standard 2-1/16" or 2-1/4" hole with 4 needles) for CHT monitoring of all 4 cylinders without any sort of switching needed?
BDubVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a quad gauge that small won't be easy. Westach makes a lot of quad gauges and actually has a 2" and 2.25" CHT gauge but they're almost $400 or more.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than a damn Graphic Equalizer I bet: RB

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges_mgl.html
acepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:

Yup saw that one...a bit pricey but probably worth it. The only thing wrong with it is its size...standard aircraft size (3-1/8") and would look out of place with my existing gauges. Besides the fact that it has a digital display and mine are all analog needle types...
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use their single needle design with the optional selector switch and 4 thermocouples.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/westswitches.php
No one in the auto industry uses them since watercooled cars don't really worry about head temp like we do. They worry about coolant temp.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acepilot wrote:
RailBoy wrote:

Yup saw that one...a bit pricey but probably worth it. The only thing wrong with it is its size...standard aircraft size (3-1/8") and would look out of place with my existing gauges. Besides the fact that it has a digital display and mine are all analog needle types...

The MGL TC-1 is 2 1/4" http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/1105719.php

There are several display options. I have mine configured to display text, rather than the bar graph, and the 4 cylinders are organized on the display in the same way they are oriented on the engine:
Cyl 3 Cyl 1
Cyl 4 Cyl 2
which makes reading the gauge intuitive. Yeah, the gauge doesn't jive well with analog gauges, but I want to know my CHT when I look at the gauge; not fiddle around with a selector switch, or waste timing trying to figure out what the exact temp is or isn't from which graduation the needle is in front of, on, or behind.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have you actually thought about how well you could read a 2 1/4" gauge that has 4 analog needles on it? If such a gauge existed, it would be all but worthless. Even the single and dual analog CHT gauges are typically restricted to 25 degree increments at best (the VDO CHT gauge is absolutely laughable in that regard). So, if you're looking for just a dash ornament that tells you when you're running too hot, you don't need 4 thermocouples, and an analog gauge will work just fine. If you want to know the actual temp for tuning your engine and cooling system, a digital gauge is what you'll need.

I don't think electrickery works that way
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MGL gauges are really trick. Haven't found anything comparable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what temp differentials are you guys seeing across 4 cylinders?
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: