Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

So, almost a year ago I picked up the weekender interior panels, table, table bracket, rear seat assy, and some spacer brackets. As most people know, the side panels stick out more, so they made the rear seat/bed narrower by about 3" to compensate for the thicker panels.

Well, I had a good free day to dig in and was hopeful I could get it mostly swapped in a day. Pretty much got it done - but this post is to help those thinking about it or wondering what it takes.

Here's what I started with - (I removed the center seat and carpet long ago to make it much more utility friendly).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And folded down - the size of the non-camper beds is awesome. Note the baby seat depressions in the center!

So, I pulled out the interior panels, unbolted the rear seat, and began to evaluate what needed to be done. Just holding stuff up made me realize it wouldn't be a 15 min bolt in! The table bracket, which needs to support some real weight, has no where to bolt to on a non-Weekender - I think there are some brackets I didn't get when I bought the interior - I've heard others describe these, but have never seen them.

To be placed correctly, the table bracket needed to go up into the sheetmetal below the window - cuts in the sheetmetal marked below -

Height it will be at after cutting:

I ended up just making the outer left and right cuts and folding the metal back, so it would be tight against the top of the table bracket and tack welded it.

With the top of the table bracket placed where it should go (to fit through the panel correctly) - the bottom of the table bracket was floating in the air. Another bracket I was likely missing. I had a piece of square steel tubing just the right size and mocked it up - then tack welded the bracket to the tube and the tube the body to test fit.

You'll notice, that while I was in there, I added some sound deadening material to wherever I could, easily and reasonably. I was surprised that there was NO sound deadening on ANY panel I saw. It has to help with interior noise.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html

Last edited by greggearhead on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: weekender Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I picked up the weekender interior panels, table, table bracket, rear seat assy, and some spacer brackets. You have a good start keep it up. Last year I took a 7 passenger syncro and put in a full westy interior, lots of fun,and you are right things just don't bolt in. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close up of the table bracket before welding:

Now - with the table positioned correctly for use with the panel, the seat mounting was next. I had 2 of the spacer brackets needed, but didn't realize I would need 2 more.

Here is teh factory piece:

Ths screws into the factory mount on the body, then the seat bracket screws into it, in the 4 mounting locations. I had some square steel tubing that was clost to the right size, but not near thick enough for a stressed mounting location.

I figured I would add a few pieces of angle iron to reinforce the tubing and get the dimension I needed.

A couple bad welds later, and it was done:

Drill a couple holes, add the grade 8 fasteners, and voila - close enough to factory, and hopefully stronger, even with *my* welds.

Last edited by greggearhead on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where the spacer brackets go - where the seat and seat belts bolt to - you can see one factory and one custom spacer here:

Something VERY interesting to me - these are not, repeat NOT metric thread bolts. DOn't know how that is in a German vehicle, but it is. FYI.

And, as you would expect, since I didn't make the spacers on a mill, just a drill press, I didn't get the centers of the bolt hole and the nut hole perfectly aligned, so it took a little bit of puch, shove, loosen, tighten to get the seat all bolted up correctly. To tighten those spacers is simple - stick a rod or screwdriver through and twist.

Anyway, it all bolted up and was good. The driver's side panel still needed a little hole enlarging at the seat lock-post area. I was wondering if I needed to relocate the position of the post, and there are two available locations there already!

2 locations:

Seat installed, table bracket installed, panel just sitting there:

Just like the rest of the seat, the seat post receivers were about 1.5" shorter on both sides. So - the next step will be to lengthen the posts and drill holes for the side panel retention clips - the 7 passenger panels didn't have holes in the same places!

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! You do need to add an additional bracket for the backrest latch pins. They actually put a third bracket in that attaches to the other two and locates the hole for the pin about midway between the existing two. You can make the bracket from a piece of 1" square tube cut down the center. Then just drill it and weld a nut on the back and you're ready to weld it to the existing brackets.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - that makes so much sense now. Thanks man - you saved me a lot of headache.

Always envious of the Subie close ratio 5 speed! Gotta get one.

Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post this photo in most weekender interior threads to feel useful. I will admit it can be done better.

-Rob
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, you are useful Rob!

I appreciate it and think it will help not only me, but anyone searching this after I am done.

I will probably use some C-channel or square steel tubing ripped as David suggested. Might even get it done tomorrow!

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I'm actually working on the Syncro I did this to right now and I just took a second look at the brackets I made. They are actually made from 1.25" square, heavy wall tube. I cut them down to 2 cm in height. They are 8 cm long and I mounted them 4 cm forward of the tail end of the rear bracket. The hole for the pin is not in the center of the bracket. It is actually very close to the front edge of it - 12 mm from the front edge.

I took a photo, but I can't post it right now.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

[quote="greggearhead"]
To be placed correctly, the table bracket needed to go up into the sheetmetal below the window - cuts in the sheetmetal marked below -

Height it will be at after cutting:

Did this actually work? Confused
I did this conversion in my 86syncro...its been a few yrs.... and IIRC. the top of the table bracket, fits up under the sheet metal below the window...the bottom of the legs are supported by simple rt'angle brackets...everything screwed in place . no cutting or welding required..
It seems to me that your table will not sit flush with the panel ..set up this way Confused
I could be wrong
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cut and weld method actually did work, but the photo you quoted was just showing the height it would be after cutting the sheet metal - not *where* it would be in terms of distance inside/outside from the outer edge of the vehicle. Make sense?

Here's where it ended up - and it is about where it would be if it was simply bolted behind the sheetmetal - just easier for me to weld it there, and hopefully stronger over time.

The table folds up into its cubby in the panel just fine, and the bed folds out just fine.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

The upper table bracket member you didn't get is a pretty substantial chunk of steel. It bridges the B and C pillars and makes the deployed table pretty rigid even under duress. I hope your way of dealing with the missing piece holds up over time.

Mark

greggearhead wrote:
...... The table bracket, which needs to support some real weight, has no where to bolt to on a non-Weekender - I think there are some brackets I didn't get when I bought the interior - I've heard others describe these, but have never seen them. ......
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and me both - I'll likely have to pull the panel off to finish, so I should be able to take a pic of the finished product. I tacked the bracket in the middle to the reinforcement rail (which really isn't very strong) that goes horizontally midway between the B and C pillars as well.

Thanks for the info and discussion - Anyone have photos of the factory brackets I didn't have?

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few of them in my interior parts piles. I will dig one out for a photo. I'm sure you could make something to do the job that isn't exactly the same. I have thought to use a long piece of square tubing to back up that flimsy rolled over sheet metal under the window. When the table is deployed someone sitting on the bench pushing near the end can generate a lot of twisting force on the wall end. Also someone moving around inside the van can lean on or against the table end and the factory support brace really keeps the table solid feeling when they do.

Mark

greggearhead wrote:
You and me both - I'll likely have to pull the panel off to finish, so I should be able to take a pic of the finished product. I tacked the bracket in the middle to the reinforcement rail (which really isn't very strong) that goes horizontally midway between the B and C pillars as well.

Thanks for the info and discussion - Anyone have photos of the factory brackets I didn't have?
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right - I leaned and pushed on it to test, but I am sure over years it could flex that sheet metal more than I can do in a few minutes. I'll add some real bracing to the top to stabilize it.

Thanks again.

SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm trying to remember, I think when I pulled the parts for my swap, the table mount was only riveted in at the top? And I believe that's the way I re-installed it in mine.....I'll be goin back in there to brace it up this winter. My kids love to drape blankets and such over the table and it always ends up a tug o' war or something. Here's a pic of the bottom mount bracket FWIW....

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These show the upper support brace.

Mark

greggearhead wrote:
I think you're right - I leaned and pushed on it to test, but I am sure over years it could flex that sheet metal more than I can do in a few minutes. I'll add some real bracing to the top to stabilize it.

Thanks again.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea Greg. I have a complete Weekender interior. It sure would beat tearing up the side panels, as mine have gotten.

Overall, what was the fab time and $ spent to make it work?
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha - that upper bracket does make a lot of sense. Will have to re-engineer a bit to put the loads at teh pillars, but that should be fine.

Hey Brian! I think I spent $200 on the interior (no jump seats) and less than a full day installing it so far. Probably another half day to get it done, and $$ for install was pretty much just fab time and scrap metal. If you pay a shop to do it, 1-2 days of work. It would have been pretty simple and fast if I had all the parts in hand - but I expect a lot of us considering this upgrade don't have 100% of the needed parts, so that's why I started the thread.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos of my interior exchange:
http://www.vwt3.hu/pic090404
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: