Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber???
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

I looked at all the forum titles and none showed anything about wiring etc, so since it is a sand rail and on road buggy, here's where I will start.

Originally I was of the mind set to just do the normal rear lighting, 1157 dual element or LED equivalent etc. BUT... I found this pair of really neat LED tail light strips that have a single row of dual brightness RED LEDS and a single of AMBER LEDS that are sequential/directional. I bought them...

So, now I have to decide if I want to keep the lower dual lights per side 1157 dual brightness tail/brake combos and NOT hook them up as functioning turn signals on the brake brightness side. AND then just use the upper rear hoop mounted dual brightness tail/brake RED LEDS, and the single row of sequential/directional AMBER, for my ONLY turn signals.

I know that if I have a factory vehicle with tail/brake lights in red and an additional amber turn signal light, hooking up a 4-wire trailer harness is impossible without a splitter module that combines the turn signal with the brake light signal AFTER the vehicle just for the trailer.

It seems that I may need something similar, but the reverse of this IF I plan to keep the lower dual tail/brake with turn signal incorporated with the brake light and THEN add the upper LED strip light with the separate amber directional turn signal. If I delete the turn signals from the lower standard type tail/brake lights, adding the upper sequential/directional LED turn signal would not be an issue. But I feel that we cannot have TOO MUCH rear lighting, specially if we're going to be driving on the highways. So, it would be to my benefit to incorporate ALL turn signals, upper and lower during my build, but how would I wire the upper separate amber sequential without back feeding current into the other brake lights???

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dan

Here's a quick CAD drawing of my concept for the rear tail lighting etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

I went with brake and turn signals all around:

https://youtu.be/gohPjCDwJkE

If you're going to do one or the other, I believe you would need to use the lower lamps for your turn signals to be legal.
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

Thanks Rod,

I found converters last night and I found out they make 3 to 2, which is what you need for a car with the external amber turn signal when going to a flat four on your trailer that uses just the dual element 1157 bulbs. AND, they make a 2 to 3 converter that takes what we would normally use on our buggies and adds a separate brake light wire in addition to the two turn signal wires.

I ordered one and will try to get all the lowers to work as they are, dual element 1157 type and in addition, add the upper separate wiring to the upper sequential /directional lights.

Quick question on your directional lights. Mine has a single wire for each function, tail, brake, and turn sequential. When I apply power to the turn sequential, it automatically repeats with constant 12v power, no flasher required. I see yours seem to repeat the same way. Did you delete the flasher module and just run direct 12v in the turn mode?

I like what you've done on yours. Hopefully mine will be nice and bright also.

Thanks again, Dan
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

Nope, I'm running a flasher module; I think I sent you my schematic.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

This subject is right up my alley, but for the life of me, I don't get what your problem is, Dan. Maybe there's just not enough information given. You really lost me with the converter talk. What's so different between the two taillights that it's gonna take any thought? Are you running all the silly original VW relays or is it a regular type setup?

I tried to use all the VW gear in my buggy for years, but it was hard to troubleshoot and added unnecessary complexity. Now I just use bosch relays and a solid state flasher. Never made a difference in how I wired my lights. Or maybe it's just been that long since I've dealt with incandescent bulbs that I'm missing something obvious?

I have two wires to signals and one wire off the brake pressure switch. I even have a 4-way switch.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
This subject is right up my alley, but for the life of me, I don't get what your problem is, Dan. Maybe there's just not enough information given. You really lost me with the converter talk. What's so different between the two taillights that it's gonna take any thought? Are you running all the silly original VW relays or is it a regular type setup?

I tried to use all the VW gear in my buggy for years, but it was hard to troubleshoot and added unnecessary complexity. Now I just use bosch relays and a solid state flasher. Never made a difference in how I wired my lights. Or maybe it's just been that long since I've dealt with incandescent bulbs that I'm missing something obvious?

I have two wires to signals and one wire off the brake pressure switch. I even have a 4-way switch.

Brian, thanks for the reply! By the way, don't know how you get to the St. Helens/Roscommon area, but if you're a sportsman of any sort, you have probably heard of Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare MI. I live just one mile east of Jay's. That's about two miles north of US-10 that runs east/west through MI and one mile east of Old US-27 that runs north/south through MI. Basically, the heart of center MI. If you're coming up this way any time, let me know and stop by for a look see at our new place.

I've been retired 4 years now and am 74 years young. Been a gearhead all my life and dreamed of a nice car workshop all my life. Now that I'm OLD, I finally get what I've dreamed about... Smile We had a new Shouse built for us. Total 4,700 s/f, house is 1,900 s/f and the workshop garage is 2,700 s/f. We have in floor radiant hot water heat throughout the place. Keep the house around 70 in the winter and the workshop is around 60 all winter. I have FINALLY, a 2-post 10k# lift, my little lathe setup, my CNC Plasma table, 20-ton press and press brake setup, MIG, TIG, torches etc. Just hope I live long enough to get some good use out of the new place... Smile

Sorry for rambling!

In the "old" days, all cars had tail lights on one filament and the brake/turn on the other brighter filament, hence the reference to the 1157 bulbs. In a normal world, that's all I would use. The brake light power runs into the turn signal switch and then separates out into the brake lights without the turn signal activated on the bright side of the rear bulbs. When either turn signal is activated, the turn signal switch disengages the appropriate "brake" light wire and turns it into a flashing turn signal, and visa versus for the opposite signal.

Now enter newer cars with a separate amber turn signal and still maintaining the normal tail/brake 1157. But now, the turn signal does NOT go to the 1157 anymore and ends up at the amber turn signal light. The brake lights are now separate from the turn signals.

Either one of the above scenarios will work and I understand how to implement them, but combining the two is where I'm having an issue.

I can do just the lower as tail/brake and "add" my upper as the separate amber turn signals and also utilize the upper tail and brake by running them in parallel with the lower lights. This would give me the upper sequential/directional amber and like a third brake light all in one. BUT... If I want to have the lower tail/brake four lights to function as turn signals ALSO, that's where I have to combine outputs and may get feedback from light to light.

The 3 into 2 converters came out when the cars got that new amber separate turn signal. With that setup you have a LT, RT, Brk, Tail, plus ground... 5-wires, not 4-wires. You could not hook that car up to a standard trailer with a flat four plug harness. The converter through diodes, I'm assuming, combined the separated the brake input from the turn signal inputs back into an 1157 setup with the brake light now being used as an intermittent turn signal, and all is well with the world...

What I found out was, that they also make a 2 into 3 converter. I'm thinking that in front of the converter I could tap into the brake/turn signal wires and run those to the lower 1157 standard tail/brake/turn lights. Then out of the converter, I now have the tail, brake, LT & RT wires. This is exactly what I will need for my 3-wire upper LED lights that have a tail/brake AND an amber sequential/directional turn signal wire for LT & RT.

It's just getting very hairy in my mind how this will all work without cross signals between the lights.

I have an overkill wiring harness for the buggy, 21-circut with full fuse panel and all the flashers etc. I have the Kubota headlight switch, turn signal, horn switch that someone here used on his buggy, it might have been Rod from MO, not sure who at the moment. This replaces a column turn signal switch. All the wiring will be new from scratch, no existing wiring from VW.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done one or both of these type light setups. Rod has a similar, but his uses the separated brake from turn signal wiring.

I hope this makes more sense to you now. I could just keep it very simple and forgo the sequential/directional upper lights, but they are so cool looking, I do want to keep them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... Smile

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Lockwood on Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

Yes, I am running the Kubota switch.

I'd have to go back and look at the schematic I drew up, but IIRC, I did use diodes to prevent feedback.
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

Thanks Rod. Very nice looking dash.

I found out that when I'm harnessed into the seat, I have a VERY limited reach area. So have to figure out what's important to use while driving and what can wait until I looses up the harness to touch it.
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

I just received my 2 into 3 tail light brake turn signal converter.

This may help explain what I'm trying to do a bit better.

I just hope that by tapping into the brake/turn signal wires ahead of the converter, that I don't get any feedback etc. It could just work. Smile

Dan
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

Sorry for making you explain all that. I guess I was just curious if you had something similar to what an actual beetle came from the factory with? As I said I played with what I had grafted from the donor beetle years ago but the numbering system VW used always drove me crazy. I was going to look at my notes today to see how I ended up redoing my system this last time, but I got distracted by my new baja motor and forgot. I'm trying to think of a way that you would get 'feedback' given what you described. I know if you're using a mechanical flasher, weird resistances can be a problem. I used to use those as well, but switched over to the cheap solid state cubes you can get on amazon. That way you will always get the same flash rate no matter what's hooked up to it. I wonder how a convertor interacts with a mechanical flasher?

See my problem is I don't dedicate anything to memory anymore. Instead I make notes and schematics of what I do. I'm an industrial electrician and there's just no way I can remember all the circuits I work on. When you're accustomed to troubleshooting on a daily basis, once you get eyes on the basic setup, the function is usually pretty self-explanatory. It looks like you got a solution though. Just test it out and see what happens.
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
See my problem is I don't dedicate anything to memory anymore. Instead I make notes and schematics of what I do. I'm an industrial electrician and there's just no way I can remember all the circuits I work on. When you're accustomed to troubleshooting on a daily basis, once you get eyes on the basic setup, the function is usually pretty self-explanatory. It looks like you got a solution though. Just test it out and see what happens.

Same here. Once the project is done, it's out of mind. I have made a habit of drawing up schematics for each vehicle I wire though, just for that reason.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Red & Amber??? Reply with quote

That's funny you mention Jay's sporting goods. I won't be at the one in Clare, but in a couple weeks I'll be at the one in Gaylord for an electrical code update class.
I've only been to St. Helen that one time and I took 131 up to 55 I think and just made my way across. I wish it was a little closer. I think it was an over three hour trip one way. I don't have a pickup to pull my trailer but instead use an old 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee which handles it okay but it's enough to really make that V8 suck the gas down. Saving up for a big pickup for the wife to drive which I'm hoping will come back to benefit me in this way.
Seems like St. Helen is to the north east side of the state as Silver lake or White Cloud/Baldwin is to my side. Honestly, I like the Baldwin area best so far. There are designated trails, but also a lot of fire roads that can be more fun to explore. You find yourself all the way up to Traverse City on a good day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: