Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hello all, I’m debating whether to make this a separate thread or to keep all of my reportings here, of course no good post is one without images. I’ve come into possession of a 1994 Volkswagen Sedan Firebeetle, besides small cosmetic things like radio not wired up, missing seat bushings, and weird cracking paint on the front right fender, there’s no real problem with this low, 35K US mile car.

However.

It doesn’t like to drive! (What’s the point of the automobile then?) the guy I had purchased it from has been chasing his tail for about a year over this car, talking to many notable people in the community. He’s replaced fuel pump/ECU relays, TPS, IATS, Cold Air Valve, Vacuum lines to fuel regulator and ECU, verified ECU internal line was plyable, O2 Sensor, all of the parts he has used have been Brück brand, I’ve thrown a new distributor cap and rotor on in mean time, I’ve performed basic settings with VAG1551, later tonight I will replace the fuel pump and further test the fuel pressure system after I make the valve stem adapter. -after note, the passenger side intake boot is missing but simple rubber pipe fittings have been added, I do have the double barrels however Im not looking to pull the engine at this time.

The vehicle has no charcoal canister and no line to the N80 Purge Valve, however I have plugged this off temporarily, I have another canister with lines at home.

A more detailed explanation of the symptoms; it starts decently, the idle fluctuates slightly, upon giving it throttle without driving it, and slowly moving the throttle it will rev fine, but if you’re quick with it, it’ll hesitate and pick back up. BUT once you drive, it will die on you, if it starts up again it’ll run terribly and ANY throttle input will stall the engine, with load or no load. If you let it sit sometimes maybe you’ll get lucky for it to drive you another 500 feet.

Also on an slightly unrelated note, I have an “E” ECU laying around, is it possible to put it in this car? I understand they received better performance and overheating protection.

Let me know what y’all think, and oh yeah, pictures. Popcorn
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

what errors does the scan give you? the symptoms sound vacuum-related.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A member in our local club here had similar symptoms on his '02 and chased it for a year or so.

The problem ended up being the throttle position sensor.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
what errors does the scan give you? the symptoms sound vacuum-related.

I agree, really check the vacuum line that goes to the ECU. There is also information to remove the ECU, take the cover off and check the small hose inside. They tend to crack and even break as they get old.

Do you have a vacuum tester?
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

No fault codes are present on my “B” ECU, TPS has already been replaced with a new OEM VW one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

So using a vacuum tool, plugging off the end of the line at the manifold and sucking from the ECU side, it does not hold pressure, it does slowly die down, the vacuum line is ran through the wiring harness, is there any trick to pull out the old one while chasing the new one through?
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

So I had performed a vacuum overlay temporarily, running a hose from the ecu out the door and into the engine bay, performed basic settings and no difference was made, so I had to re-analyze my situation, I couldnt perform a proper fuel pressure or delivery since I don’t have the correct adapter for the fuel rail so I took a complete shot in the dark, ran home (literally.) and grabbed a stached away Brück brand fuel pump. Noticing the fuel return line was kinked at 90 degree angles, twice, into the pump, I replaced all the hosing and started the engine up, and it actually drives nows! Performed basic settings again just incase, it still hesitates occassionally but this car is due for spark plugs and an injector cleaning anyway.

Long story short, a 20 year old fuel pump that’s been sitting for years is probably bad.

And man, these cars are FAST compared to my Super beetle with a 3.88 rear end.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Your vacuum leak is likely inside the ECU. There's a short 3mm hose that fails.

You can take the cover off the ECU and replace the hose.
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Already done that, minor vacuum leak in the actual line itself rather then ECU, and with performing the overlay for the vacuum problem was still persistent which helped me conclude on a fuel issue, just need to find out now how to route a new vacuum line through the body of the car.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

TechionDigit wrote:
... just need to find out now how to route a new vacuum line through the body of the car.

I can only think of two options:
Unravel the main wire harness that passes through the engine wall.

or

drill a hole beside the main wiring grommet and, using a small grommet to protect the vacuum line, pass the new vacuum line through there.

As an example (of using small grommets) here is a photo where I used small grommets to protect wires for a heated seat bypass switch I mounted on the pedestal.

The main grommet is accessible by pulling back the carpet in the luggage area.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Got my Berg 5spd back in the Bug a week ago. Loving the new gears!

Before, my 3-4 were too close together and annoying to drive. Swapped out 3-4-5 for 1.48, 1.04 and .82. Only about 75 miles on the new gears, but wow, what a nice change!

Hasn't been above freezing here for about a week, but dry.

-Dan

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Got my Berg 5spd back in the Bug a week ago. Loving the new gears!

Before, my 3-4 were too close together and annoying to drive. Swapped out 3-4-5 for 1.48, 1.04 and .82. Only about 75 miles on the new gears, but wow, what a nice change!

Hasn't been above freezing here for about a week, but dry.

-Dan

Your bug looks higher in the front?
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It's not, weird angle of the pic.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

O2 Sensor Routing.

Hi Sambas,

So, I've got my 1995 1600i back (finally!) and it's running. The tin still needs to be installed between the engine and the back apron. The O2 sensor is plugged in and just coiled up and zip tied where it won't touch anything hot. What is the best (factory) rooting for the O2 sensor? Right now it's coiled up on the passenger side of the engine. A photo would be great.

Much thanks!
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Throttle pedal

Hi Sambas,

(A second question here.)

I'm not getting full throttle travel on the new engine. There's a new throttle cable and the throttle body lever seems to move smoothly.

With the accelerator all the way down, I still have over an inch of travel on the throttle. So the pedal assembly isn't moving smoothly and the pedal isn't traveling through its full motion (pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor).

What should I be looking at/fixing/adjusting to get a smooth, long pedal travel?

Much thanks!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
O2 Sensor Routing.

Hi Sambas,

So, I've got my 1995 1600i back (finally!) and it's running. The tin still needs to be installed between the engine and the back apron. The O2 sensor is plugged in and just coiled up and zip tied where it won't touch anything hot. What is the best (factory) rooting for the O2 sensor? Right now it's coiled up on the passenger side of the engine. A photo would be great.

Much thanks!

Maybe this will help.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
O2 Sensor Routing.

.. Right now it's coiled up on the passenger side of the engine. A photo would be great.

Much thanks!

Radstude has a newer style O2 sensor; for completeness I thought I would post a picture of the older style. The routing is the same, through the grommet and coil it up. Mine has a wire tie on it.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Fantastic! Super helpful. Thank youHopkin & Rastude.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the "+4" means on the block? It's just under the distributor written in white.

Older picture when I updated to thick wall 88's and AA heads. Never paid much mind to it, but it's been there since new in 2003:

coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi All,

Still having issues with the car (1995). It seemed really gutless to drive, then I found out the throttle was only opening half way. I seem to have a little over half the necessary travel for the throttle. The cable is good. The pedal moves through the normal range of motion (compared it to a mid-60s German Beetle and the throttle travels were the same). I can adjust the cable for WOT at full pedal travel, but that means a VERY fast ‘idle’ once the clutch goes in as the throttle can never get close to closed.

Any ideas?
How to get more ‘throw’ on the throttle?
How to get more travel on the pedal?
Anything else.

I will include a photo of the current throttle body. Past owners have been very ham fisted with the car. Is anything set up wrong?

Much thanks Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 190 of 193

Jump to: