Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your favorite pulley and why?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Glen and VWracerDave, what are the two grooves for? I got six packs of Zots with my Berg pulley order Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the two drill locations; those are for balancing by removing material from that half of the pulley
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes those two dimples on the bottom are where they removed material to balance the pulley.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Saco power pulley. It's very well made and has a removable steel hub.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know that the groove wearing out was a thing. I don't think I've ever seen that, or had that happen to me. Honestly, I've never had a problem with scat aluminum pulleys. I've seen a few that had a crack in the hub, right where the key goes, and a few that were bent, but I'd guess it was due to PO's damaging them. I've never had one actually fail on me, and I've bought plenty of used $5 swapmeet aluminum pulleys. And I've never had one leak oil from the threads unless I didn't have the breather hose hooked up properly. but even a stock will leak without the breather hose. I'm sure the berg is a lot more durable tho, as I've ruined some trying to get them off when the crank gets rusty. I'm not saying that the scat pulley is the same quality as the berg, just saying I've never had a reason to spend the extra moola on a berg pulley. even if I ruin it, to get it off, I've got a stack of swapmeet ones ready to use, all of which were cheaper then one berg pulley Laughing
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Sand seals are designed to keep sand out of the engine. They are not deigned to keep oil in. ***(Flame away mini I put on my fireproof panties)***

Boo friggity hoo, they do keep oil in so suck my left teet. Or Bergs, if you prefer. Laughing

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I missed that - now if I put a heavy pulley on, or have a type 3, I'll twist the snout off my crank, and if I fit a sand seal all the oil will run out the rear of my case. Dagnamit, I'll just have to build a stock 1500 and reduce the CR to 6.5 or run the risk of everything falling apart.
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Your favorite pulley and why? Reply with quote

Just happened to have a few pulleys out so I thought I'd add some pics of why folks gets oil sprayed all over their engine and what to look for in purchasing a pulley..

Stock VW: deep threads and where the hub meets is a sharp squared off edge.

Gene Berg: several lazer sharp, deep threads with a squared edge where the hub joins the pulley.

Scat: hardly any threads and very shallow at that. Radiused joint that promotes spraying oil like a fire sprinkler.

I'll try to find an Empi. I keep the Scat around for building because it's degreed and then swap it out for a better one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Your favorite pulley and why? Reply with quote

I must be stupid or something Shocked I like my seals to do what seals do...SEAL. not just dirt out but oil in. I dont know who the moron was that decided that they are only there to seal dirt out but.... they are a oil seal. as for favorite pullys....I have so many I cant decide. but it sure isant heavy. honnestly I dont have a clue as to what the one on my bug looks like other than being aluminum Shocked it might have round holes..or triangle holes or..funkey shaped holes...I havent a clue it's been so long since Ive looked at it. I do have some sand seal oe pullys but there on the shelf...along with the steel berg pully. I did get one of those bugpoop spintrue alt pullys...what a fricken lie..should be wobbletrue or true wobble....the empi pully is somuch better and runs much truer. thinken about making a duel speed alt pully...but too much stuff in the works as it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: