Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drove 5700 miles to get this van, now building her up!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheater - you can count! Wow, that's some Syncro project he has ongoing. Very cool link and it looks like his plans are pretty ambitious as well.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawled under and went to town on the Van this evening. With the exhaust out of the way, the thermostat housing came off since I could see a crack in it. Tons of room. Anyone who's pulled the thermostat housing off the head has gone through the excruciating agony of the moment. The moment when you are leaning hard, then really hard, then your mind races as you pull even harder on the Allen wrench on the first of two bolts that many on Samba have broken off in the head. BANG! The first one is loose. The next one seems harder and I give up for a bit. Lay under there and think about using a drill to destroy the plastic around the bolt to get some PB Blaster into where it enters the block through those holes. Crud, isn't there a steel sleeve protecting the bolt? Get online and find a photo - yep. Back under, reefing hard, tapping bolt with a hammer, repeat. Then BANG! Second one comes loose. After this stresser, dealing with the insane mess of loosening 5 stiff old hoses on the housing is a relief because a BIG bullet was dodged. Whew. New housing, thermostat and O rings on the way from Van Cafe.

Then the oil cooler - similarly exposed by the missing exhaust. No way I'm going to be posting in December that my old brittle O ring is drizzling. No way. So off it comes. Cutting the hoses is the fastest way - new ones from Van Cafe are on the bench.

So the Big Three I was worried about are off successfully (exhaust, thermostat housing, and oil cooler). Will sleep well tonight!!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The syncro thermostate housing should be aluminium, not plastic. Maybe your talking about the thermostate cover? I've only ever seen one or two housings that needed to be replaced. I usually sandblast them. Sometimes they have some pitting where the hoses secure but usually you can fill those with JB weld and sand them smooth. I've collected those housings and have them on my 2wd vans also.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth,

Nice to know the aluminum ones fit. This is a 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender 2WD. You can bet the new one will go back in with anti-sieze, along with all the bolts on all the vehicles I've worked on. Such a pleasure removing a fastener you've personally put on and properly torqued 20 years ago. I get that pleasure all the time on my Cruisers as I've owned the 93 since new 22 years ago....

New one should be here today or tomorrow. Big box arrives from VC that also has a German antenna, full exhaust refasten kit, full exhaust gasket set, etc. And an exhaust arrives from a Samba member in Renton, WA that I'll be using.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
This is a 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender 2WD.

I guess I was not paying attention. So your saying you drove 5700 miles for a non running 2wd hardtop?? Your defiantly one of us Laughing Laughing
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Laughing

definitely

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Yes, I guess that's one way to certify my Vanagonitis is indeed a severe case. The Van was given to me by the guy I got my Syncro from. He loved what I did to his Syncro which was sitting for 7 years, the brakes were rusted solid and mice were living in the flat rotted tires. He died of cancer in July, and actually told his wife on his deathbed that one of the things he hoped for was that I would come down and get his last Vanagon. So, it was a matter of personal honor for me to go get her, drag her onto a trailer and bring her home to a sort of Vanagon nirvana here. After a massive spa treatment, she will pop out bright yellow like the Syncro, and brought back to as close to original running condition as possible. My daughter turns 16 today, and she was my copilot 4 years ago for the same 5700 mile round trip. She shares my love of Vanagons and I look forward to turning the key in a couple weeks.

My wife and 13yo son are leaving Tuesday for a 2 week class trip to WA, DC and they have no idea how close to operating I am with this Van, because the Syncro took over a year. So I'm hoping to pick them up at the airport with her as a surprise. Wish me luck. A huge box from Van Cafe is downstairs in the hall and I'm heading down to tear into it!!!

DougM
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Doug! So, is this van destined to be your daughter's?
Can't wait for the reports. Body/paint in that two weeks, along with mechanical stuff?!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, hope for her to be my daily driver but my daughter will be able to drive her as well.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum total of work today was done in the 15 minutes after we got home from a dinner party. Realizing I had not touched the Van today, I scooped up the oil cooler, put on gloves and cleaned it completely on the outside, then smeared some RTV onto the new O ring and pressed it in position. Left it on a heater vent for the night. This winter, I will NOT be starting a thread that my oil cooler O ring cracked on a 5 degree day and I'm stranded.....

Tomorrow may be a big day...

DougM
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished getting the donor exhaust bolts loose so now I have a complete solid exhaust and a full VC exhaust fastener kit to install it with.

Then I reinstalled the new thermostat tower, with a new thermostat and gasket inside it. I tested both the new and old thermostats - both made in germany. They both opened correctly. Used all new O rings on the new tower, and noted the crucial o ring mating it to the block was missing and the tower was badly cracked and where it touched the block it was distorted with age and heat. Glad I caught this.

Fuel lines, and tuneup parts tomorrow methinks. Got the injectors back from the shop, so ready to put them back in.

DougM
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet junk yard run today. Scored a rear hatch, washer nozzles, interior trim panels, new looking front rotors, and a bunch of little stuff. Lost the Volkswagen and Vanagon badges off the hatch on the drive home though....

My hatch has a small dent in an awkward spot, so this saves me a couple days of messing around with that, since I'm painting anyway. And yes, turns out you can carry a Vanagon hatch on the roof of an Impreza!

DougM
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got through reading all of this and I have to say... What a touching story. I can empathize with what this van must mean to you. Clearly he knew you would honor the van and your friendship. Can't wait see to see the project unfold.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin. You've got the spirit of this project.

Just got in from the garage. The cleaned and reconditioned injectors are installed, new fuel lines installed. I eliminated that plastic firewall fitting in favor of running the new fuel line simply through the hole where the fitting was and fitting a split section of fuel line as a chafe guard. Feels good putting stuff back together....

My wife and son leave early in the morning for their 2 week trip. They have no idea the van is actually going to be running soon - heh.

DougM
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some leftover fuel line from the Van Cafe kit, so replaced all the rubber fuel line all the way to the tank, then installed new pre filter and filter. Whew - tired of smelling like gasoline..

Wife and son are out of town now, so I don't have to tippy toe in and out of the garage with nobody to mislead on how the van is coming along. New spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap and coil lead on. Ran out of steam when I realized I can't put the oil cooler back on as the adjacent pushrod tube is leaking. New seals on the way and will want some room to get this spring loaded tube seated right. Came inside to read the Bentley before tearing into the rear brake cylinder replacements and realized my 3am airport run had me tired. Done.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Had some leftover fuel line from the Van Cafe kit, so replaced all the rubber fuel line all the way to the tank, then installed new pre filter and filter. Whew - tired of smelling like gasoline..

Wife and son are out of town now, so I don't have to tippy toe in and out of the garage with nobody to mislead on how the van is coming along. New spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap and coil lead on. Ran out of steam when I realized I can't put the oil cooler back on as the adjacent pushrod tube is leaking. New seals on the way and will want some room to get this spring loaded tube seated right. Came inside to read the Bentley before tearing into the rear brake cylinder replacements and realized my 3am airport run had me tired. Done.

I have a feeling you'll be "done" when you're dead Wink
Go Doug!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, all my 50+ buddies and I have a saying when we're in the middle of a big bike ride, hike, run, swim, etc and someone's complaining they want a rest. Gets a big chorus of "You can rest when you're dead!"....

Got the pushrod tube seals today locally and will use the ones arriving as spares. Allowed me to pull the rocker arms, pushrod, pushrod tube, replace seals on the leaking springy tube and reverse steps. Hope it doesn't leak, but a head reseal will fix that one day soon. Then put the oil cooler back on with new glued O ring and the two hoses. Cripes those hoses are a fight!

Now I am free to put the exhaust back on tomorrow, as it was in the way for a bunch of this stuff. Before calling it quits, I cleaned off the diff fill plug and checked the oil level. Looks good, but will change it later anyhow.

Tomorrow, the exhaust! Then it's a coolant fill, oil fill, and time to start her up
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what is it with me and exhausts? Should have been an hour to button it up. But no, the muffler turns out to be from a Syncro with a heat shield that would interfere with the large heat shield above it, so I had to cut the one off the muffler. Then the brace under the manifold for the 1-3 cylinders was welded onto my old pipe and none on the new one. So had to deal with that. Ah well, no matter. It was a wild weather day looking out of the garage from time to time while I worked and listened to music. Someone needs to print a bumper sticker that says "I'd rather be working on my Vanagon" because on days like this I love swinging a wrench. Windy, monsoon rain, the odd snow squall, etc.

Got the entire exhaust mounted loosely up there, and then tightened on the heads. Tomorrow will by simply tightening each joint along the exhaust pipes until I get to the muffler for final tweaks to be sure nothing will rattle.

Then, I promise some report of either it starting and burbling nicely, or a disaster of some sort. Before calling it quits, I drove to Chevron with a gas can and bought 5 gallons of premium gas to pour in the tank. Kind of an offering to the Vanagon gods, I admit. But a good investment, no? Heh....
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo!! Fired right up, and after a bit of time to clear her throat the WBX is running smoothly. Smells rich, but will check the timing and other stuff over the weekend. Exhaust had a small leak at the cast iron elbow. With the bolts tight and a new gasket, it still puffed air at the seam where the gasket is. I used a NAPA product you put inside the pipe and it flows to the gap and seals it. Worked a treat.

DougM
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Woo hoo!! Fired right up, and after a bit of time to clear her throat the WBX is running smoothly.

Bravo Doug! What's next for the full weekend?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: