Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First real test... too arduous?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: First real test... too arduous? Reply with quote

First "in action" photo since I got her about half a year ago (sorry, really cheap camera phone) and the first real test of her abilities. This may be the first time these hills and canyons near Santa Clarita CA have seen a Ghia since this is about a mile into a gravel road.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I came here to get away from the masses and do a little solo rock climbing (my other obsession). I drove her 70 miles from the LA beaches up to Sepulveda Pass (I-405 freeway) which has an elevation of 1100 feet and through multiple little hills along the way... in 95 degree temps. In retrospect, it could've ended inconveniently given I am still learning her temperament, I was driving alone, far from home, had no jack, and down this gravel road, there was spotty cell service and few other breathing humans.

But keeping her under 60 mph, she performed grandly for the full 140 mile round trip, even on the gravel switchbacks. I don't think she likes getting dusty and having all those sharp pieces of rock going under her tender feet, so this will probably be her last time here.

Anyway, I have a simple question, really. After I came home, I remembered Muir saying that the oil dipstick is a good way to check how the engine is doing. If too hot to hold by hand, the engine is overheating. Well that was the case for this near-original engine.

How true is this? Other than keeping her tuned up and driving gently, is there really anything you can do to minimize overheating in situations like this, going up and down hills, in high temps? Was this trip too arduous for this baby girl? OK, gotta go dust her off now.
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking ghia. I personally don't place much stock in the "too hot to touch" thing, because I know using a thermometer a safe operating range for the oil is ambient to 200F or so, and after spirited driving in the heat it can "safely" reach 225 or so. I certainly have toughened hands, but I sure can't hold on to a metal object at those temps. Must be that Muir was a tough guy. Most home hot water is at or below 140F, and most folks don't tolerate that heat for very long.

You might try a stick-style candy thermometer or similar to actually check, and there's another recent thread here discussing what would cause high temps. Basically, all the tins, good airflow from the fan, and free flowing oil.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cars were built to drive, daily. Testing on the prototypes, in the 1930's were in the highest mountains and hottest deserts. As I recall, they did not have cell phones at the time Laughing . A small percentage are now daily drivers and you did no harm. Although I am a Muir fan, this little item is a little better than touch.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1428270
Other than valves adjusted and in good tune just be sure ALL your engine sheetmetal is present.
Sounds like a fun adventure!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reality check. Feeling better now.

Maybe a more important question then is how does one prevent overheating of your bottomside (ie, your butt) when you're sitting in this kind of heat for extended periods of time?!!

Granted I had been hiking and climbing in the sun but after driving in the heat for a couple hours and arriving home, I stepped out of the car and noticed that my entire rear section of my shorts had gotten completely soaked. I suppose the unbreathable vinyl seats don't help. I think I was having too much fun to even notice!

I'll need to factor that in if I'm driving to a formal gathering where a dry butt is required. Maybe keep an extra pair of shorts along with the spare generator belt and fuses?!
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old school version on this in mine to keep my a.. cool - and it actually helps.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/kokovesecu.html

now they apparently have an electrical fan version on this site
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under your Ghia sits one of the greatest of-road chassis ever designed... but you should buy a jack!

Touching the dipstick a USELESS way of measuring engine temp.
Would you feel the radiator of a Chev, then nod knowingly and say "Hmmmm... yes, I think it's about the right temperature"..
How about cooking cakes.. would you stick your hand in an oven to check the temperature? No...
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above mentioned Berg dipstick sensor is a good indicator to determine if your engine is running hot. The other option is to buy a VDO temp gauge so you can see "exactly" how hot the engine is running. I use quotes around exactly because most temp gauges don't give completely accurate readings (it depends where you locate the temp sensor), but it will give you a good indicator of how the engine is doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use a infrared thermometer on mine, is very accurate, plus gives you temps wherever you point it at, (each cylinder, intake etc) works great and They are pretty reasonable now too.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Darrell. These cars were made to be driven and in all conditions. Dr Porsche might have had the freezing Northern European winters in mind when he designed this air-cooled car, but they serve just as well in the subtropics and especially well on bad roads. Ask those guys who drove VW's in the Australian Outback or Southern African bush, and you'll hear heaps of stories about VWs going through mud and dirt when others slid off the road or wallowed in the wet.

I just see no reason why you shouldn't go back up the hill every time you feel like it.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the several options for monitoring engine temps (I will def look into those) and the encouragement to have fun with her (though I think I'll keep her off the dusty roads since I'm too lazy for the post-ride cleaning).

And maybe most of all, thanks for the suggestion for my "sitting in a puddle of sweat" problem! That may become one of the most significant "upgrades" Smile
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the common type of dipstick warning units are calibrated too 'cold' to be of any real use on a hotter-than-Chev running VW engine. They are calibrated to cause you to worry at 104C... so the VW performance parts salesman can then sell you an oil cooler "to make your engine run cooler" Rolling Eyes

Your standard engine is just fine in 30C heat Smile
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmolenda wrote:
I personally use a infrared thermometer on mine, is very accurate, plus gives you temps wherever you point it at, (each cylinder, intake etc) works great and They are pretty reasonable now too.

That's what I use, and it's great for checking temperatures for the engine case, oil, carb, intake maifold, etc. The dipstick method is for holding the handle of the dipstick, not the dipstick itself. Big difference, but still not meaningfull. I think that the original point was that, if the handle burns you, you have a problem! My engine temps are right around 174 F in normal driving, with the oil temp usually being 10 to 15 degrees cooler. Drive it hard and the oil temperature catchs up to the engine temp. The hottest I have been able to get my engine is 202, and that was pulling a half-ton trailer at 80mph. When idling or driving gently, they cool back down. This is why after hard run, I'll get off the freeway an exit early and drive casually the last couple miles. If you don't have that option (like in the mountains), then letting it idle for a minute before shutting down helps.

Paul
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojai63dbl wrote:
I have an old school version on this in mine to keep my a.. cool - and it actually helps.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/kokovesecu.html

now they apparently have an electrical fan version on this site

Yeah, those work well... I hate sitting on plastic in the summer OR winter! I discovered a couple years ago that my Ghia handles heat a LOT better than I do: The outside temperature was near 100 degrees F, and the pavement temps were 130+ when I got stuck in a huge traffic jam. I was ready to pass out from the heat, but the Ghia did not care one bit... unlike a few modern cars that wound up on the side of the road due to overheating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: