Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check out the double D's!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasedjesus wrote:
Cool! Worked on er a bit today, nothing too interesting...just cleaning up loose ends on the cargo floor and rockers. All the little stuff that takes a ton of time but makes ya feel like you aren't making much progress. I'll have a few pics to post soon, but I'm waiting till I get some progress on the front floor. Just hopping on here now to see about the best way to get the steering column and heater tube out of the way to remove what little is left of that floor.

Nice bus and good to see the frame isn't rotted as much as it could've been. The belly pans can be a catch 22... Theyre nice to have if savable but they trap moisture. Keep making small gains on it and in a few months, you'll look back and be proud of what it will function and possibly look like Very Happy
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement out there! Had to move the old girl out to pasture for some fresh air for a few days while I tend to some more immediate issues of my daily drivers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here she is with my wifes projects! At least my projects don't eat all day!

Mapwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Inspiration Reply with quote

You obviously don't need any inspiration, but I thought I would post a link to the car of the month at 914world.com. Another great restoration of an extremely rough project. The finished product is awesome.

http://www.914world.com/

The results of your work will inspire others as well.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Pieper
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bus looks like its ready to haul hay to the "burners", looks kind of off road with the temporary front end! One good "whap" and that dent in the nose will pop out. Lookin' good
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to get on some of those dents tomorrow after I finish the current project on the lift. More pics to some soon!
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on the nose some today, and seems my camera didn't save any of the pics I took, or they disappeared when I downloaded them. Guess I'll take more tomorrow, LoL. Has anyone out there used one of those smoothing wheels? Seems like a neat idea, I am still learning the metal straightening and just wondering the easiest way to get the sheet metal as straight as possible with little or no filler. Been working on the nose all day and maybe have a small improvement, tops. Try to get some pics up of it and maybe get some suggestions for the best way to proceed.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with a smoothing wheel, please post link where this toll is sold so we can better understand it, sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing the nose! Love this thread (OK I'm biased...)
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's actually called a "shrinking disc" http://www.wolfesmetalfabrication.com/sdisc.html
Anyone used anything like this? Supposed to be an alternative to heating the metal with a torch then hammering it to shrink it. Supposedly localizes the heat to just the high spots therefore causing less panel distortion. Seems like a good idea, just a question of whether it works. Any input would be appreciated!
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO finally here's some pics of the work I've been doing on the nose. Not an experienced metal bumper (yet lol), but so far so good. Heres a "before pic from earlier.....

And here's a few of "after" shots.

Still got a long way to go, still a bit lumpy, especially for the lower part that I can't easily get behind. I was thinking about investing in a stud welder for dent pulling, but Manfred58sc (from area67) suggested an ingenious alternative that I might have to try out. Tack weld a deep nut to the spot in the dent you want to pull, then screw an eye bolt into the nut and use a come along to a stationary object pull it outward. I may even try same with a slide hammer. Thanks for the suggestion Manfred!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work there, thanks for posting the link to the tool..any sambanistas used this in body work?? seems like a good "de-lumper" for wrinkles and such. The nose is much better than I thought at first..
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention it earlier, but there are parts O'plenty ordered from klassic fab. Should be getting a whole new bus (almost lol)in the mail sometime in the next couple weeks. Then the real fun begins! Anyone out there put these floors and rockers etc in before that can maybe tell me things to look out for, common pitfalls to avoid, etc? Anything you figured out the hard way to help me along? Hope to be getting on this big time in the next month or so.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasedjesus wrote:

Still got a long way to go, still a bit lumpy, especially for the lower part that I can't easily get behind. I was thinking about investing in a stud welder for dent pulling, but Manfred58sc (from area67) suggested an ingenious alternative that I might have to try out. Tack weld a deep nut to the spot in the dent you want to pull, then screw an eye bolt into the nut and use a come along to a stationary object pull it outward. I may even try same with a slide hammer. Thanks for the suggestion Manfred!

Looks awesome man. I learned a trick an old guy taught me and thats to take a metal washer and put it in your vice. Cut a flat side and weld it to your panel where it needs to come out. Your slide hammer will hook to this washer. You're welding the washer perpendicular to the panel. It worked better than I thought.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, also a good idea. kind of a variation on the same theme as manfred58sc posted. I could see where each would have it's use depending on the area and type of dent you are trying to remove. Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like your project needed a lot of the same work mine does!
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, got nearly a whole new Bus in the mail courtesy of Klassicfab. Can't wait to unpack it all and start putting together instead of taking apart. Unfortunately, its about 10 degrees and snowing heavily since christmas. Will get some pics up as soon as I get it all unpacked and into the garage. Merry (late) Christmas everyone out there!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome man, glad to hear you are keeping the build going. I'm looking forward to your progress.
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, seems like every time I go out to work on it, The temps fall below 10 degrees (my garage isn't heated), or the engine falls out of a friends jetta, or just always something. It will get there though, I haven't forgotten her! Plus the whole pesky job thing taking up my time.....
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality getting in the way of our VW fun..how annoying!!! Hey that bus waited 30 years, it's patient if nothing else. Warmer temps on the way...
Thetrevornator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work keep it up! August to December already have metal ordered!!! im sure you will have a ton of work doing in spring

"Life's a Journey"

http://instagram.com/dubtrevornator/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greasedjesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....
Got some more prep work done and went to test fit the rockers. Apparently I'm missing something! I have the inner and outer rockers, but apparently there's an INNER inner? DOH!

So my question to you guys is this: Can I safely install the cargo floor in without getting in the way of doing the 3 pieces of the rocker when I get the parts a bit later, OR, would it be much safer and make a better job to do inner rockers THEN the floor. As a third option, should it all go in and clamp together at the same time before welding ANYTHING in? That feels like the right answer to me, I'm just disappointed I finally had some good weather and free time coincide and now I find I need another part before I can do anything maybe?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to fit the inner rocker, outer rocker, and inner stiffener together, and there's no way to fit the stiffener after the inner and outer rocker are together. I know it sucks to have to wait for more sheet metal (I know as I'm always waiting on something) but there's no way around it. The good news is that having the floor fit and maybe ready to screw in place will help you to get the outer rockers aligned perfectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: