Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I size my Type 1 Custom Beam for Beam Bushings?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chalklinedetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: How do I size my Type 1 Custom Beam for Beam Bushings? Reply with quote

I am trying to purchase new beam bushings for my narrowed beam. I want the Delrin/Sasco bushings. I found them at www.mooreparts.com, but I see that they offer so many sizes.

I got a custom beam from a local fabricator and he hasn't been able to tell me what size they are Sad only telling me that Buggy House in Hayward, CA only sells the bushings that he uses in his beams. I contacted Buggy House and they gave me part #6584-10, which is for these guys...

https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/12119/65...ack-black/

...which say that they are 45mm. Well, 45mm converts to 1.77165 in.

Here are the sizes and types that Moore Parts offers, any help in choosing these darned things based on the data presented here would be awesome!
:

1. SACO 1.765" Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam With Bushings, Part #: SACO-94-3064, SACO White Delrin Bushings For King And Link Pin Axle Beams With Micarta Bushings 1.805/1.765 Diameters.

2. SACO Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam, Part #: SACO-94-3026, SACO White Delrin Bushings For King And Link Pin Axle Beams, 1.750 Outter Diameter.

3. SACO 1.760" Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam, Part #: SACO-94-3027, SACO White Delrin Bushings For King And Link Pin Axle Beams, 1.760 Outter Diameter

4. SACO 1.740" Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam, Part #: SACO-94-3028, SACO White Delrin Bushings For King And Link Pin Axle Beams, 1.740 Outter Diameter.

5. SACO 1.765" Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam With Bearings, Part #: SACO-94-3063, SACO White Delrin Bushings For King And Link Pin Axle Beams With Needle Bearings, 1.765 Outter Diameter.

6. SACO 1.750" Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam / Foddrill Arms, Part #: SACO-94-3026FD, SACO White Delrin Bushings For Foddrill Arms In A King And Link Pin Axle Beam, 1.750 Outter Diameter.

7. SACO 1.760" Delrin Bushings King/Link Pin Vw Axle Beam / Foddrill Arms, Part #: SACO-94-3027FD, SACO White Delrin Bushings For Foddrill Arms In A King And Link Pin Axle Beam, 1.760 Outter Diameter
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalkline, get yourself a set of calipers and measure the ID (inside dimension) of the tubes that make up your beam. Measure them multiple times at different angles to be sure the tubes are round. That will tell you which size delrin bushings you will need. If its an odd number, do not buy a set of bushings smaller as the will have a loose fit. The are supposed to slide right in snuggly. You can always sand down delrin if its a bit oversized (might take some elbow grease). Keep at it, don't give up on the delrin bushings, you won't regret the outcome. What ever you do, do not go with the red polyurethane bushings. let us know what you do....
from the list of bushings you posted, looks like the first set will work just fine. Like I said better to be slightly oversized than undersized.
Chalklinedetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
Chalkline, get yourself a set of calipers and measure the ID (inside dimension) of the tubes that make up your beam. Measure them multiple times at different angles to be sure the tubes are round. That will tell you which size delrin bushings you will need. If its an odd number, do not buy a set of bushings smaller as the will have a loose fit. The are supposed to slide right in snuggly. You can always sand down delrin if its a bit oversized (might take some elbow grease). Keep at it, don't give up on the delrin bushings, you won't regret the outcome. What ever you do, do not go with the red polyurethane bushings. let us know what you do....
from the list of bushings you posted, looks like the first set will work just fine. Like I said better to be slightly oversized than undersized.

Thanks Thingbeast. So it looks like I have to disassemble before ordering (good thing I walk to work these days). Yeah, the red Poly's are what I have in there now and they started coming apart about a year after being installed....I'll be happy to get rid of those. I've been hearing great things about the Delrin's, so that's pretty much a given.

Question, I've seen the Delrin's before and the have two approximate 1/4" round depressions in them about half way deep into the wall of the bushing. Are these for set screws? Grease traps? What? Do I need to tap some screw holes into my beam to coordinate with these?
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've seen them before when I installed mine. Delrin doesn't like automotive grease as it will break down the delrin. The dimples were for access holes for grease fittings but rarely mated with the holes on the beam. Don't worry about those. Delrin itself is self lubricating so you won't need to grease the delrin.
Chalklinedetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
Yes I've seen them before when I installed mine. Delrin doesn't like automotive grease as it will break down the delrin. The dimples were for access holes for grease fittings but rarely mated with the holes on the beam. Don't worry about those. Delrin itself is self lubricating so you won't need to grease the delrin.

YES! I'm liking them more and more Smile Needless to say, I will need to clean all of the grease out of the beam before install. Thanks.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaulkline, i didn't grease my delrin bushings, but i did put grease on the splines in between each one from end to end. You don't want them to start squeaking on you after its all back together nor have metal on metal rubbing. Once you have it all back together and reassembled, be sure to align the front end yourself. When i replaced my front end, i replaced everything except the steering box. Everything was new, i did this because i didn't want to deal with old parts failing on me. I noticed you didn't mention the size of the beam. Is it a 2" or more narrowed and adjustable? Where did you get it? Be sure that you installed beam spacers if you are going to have a racked stance. If you level it out, you won't need them. I have a racked stance, so i had to put them in. Let me know what you have done, pics help. I just want to share what i learned so you don't make any mistakes. My bug drives perfect! No pulling, shimming or vibration in the steering wheel.
Chalklinedetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingBeast wrote:
Chaulkline, i didn't grease my delrin bushings, but i did put grease on the splines in between each one from end to end. You don't want them to start squeaking on you after its all back together nor have metal on metal rubbing. Once you have it all back together and reassembled, be sure to align the front end yourself. When i replaced my front end, i replaced everything except the steering box. Everything was new, i did this because i didn't want to deal with old parts failing on me. I noticed you didn't mention the size of the beam. Is it a 2" or more narrowed and adjustable? Where did you get it? Be sure that you installed beam spacers if you are going to have a racked stance. If you level it out, you won't need them. I have a racked stance, so i had to put them in. Let me know what you have done, pics help. I just want to share what i learned so you don't make any mistakes. My bug drives perfect! No pulling, shimming or vibration in the steering wheel.

Thanks Thingbeast. It is a 4" beam with adjusters. Here is my writeup on the car for your reading pleasure: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520975&highlight=

The beam swap I did starts about 2-3 of the way down the first page. I got my beam complete from disc to disc from Matt Watts of Punch Drunk Customs about a year ago, so I didn't do any of the assembly myself other than the installation.

Any further advice would be so appreciated! Thanks.

Adrian
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaulkline, have you figured what type of stance you want from your bug? Is it a level stance or a raked stance? If you are going for the level stance, no beam shims are needed. If you are looking for the raked stance (where the front end is 2" plus lower then the rear) you will need the shims. The beam shims bring the geometry of the car back to normal. I used them on mine as i went for the raked look. I got my new 4" narrowed adjustable beam from CIP1 and all mating components from them too. After the install, like i said, i aligned it myself with hopes that i would take it to an alignment shop for them to fine tune it. There was no need for that after i figured out how to do it myself. I can walk you thru it if you wish, i'll have to take some pictures tho, but VERY simple. Very nice write up, i like your white bug tho that black one was sweet too!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info here, I'm fabbing up a 5" beam right now.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, a narrowed 5" beam is a little different in that you won't be able to use shocks nor have shock towers on your beam. The fit is very tight with a 4" as it is. I had to use a mallot to get my beam in place. Unless you can customize the shock towers and get them to work....
I'm not sure how a shockless beam would make the ride feel. From what I've seen, a shockless car makes for a bumpy ride, but I'm not sure. I just wanted to have the stock ride and smoothness from my bug when I was done. Just my 2 cents worth...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: