Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 baja dual master cylinder conversion rod???
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: 61 baja dual master cylinder conversion rod??? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the rod that is in my bug when I bought it. I am wondering I can go about measuring the right adjustment on this rod since it looks to be some garage modded part?? there is no pedal stop either to assist with measuring. I haven't bleed my brakes yet, because I was told I need to adjust that first. I tried to move the pedal with my hand to feel when it hits the master cylinder, except I honestly can't tell when I hit it. any advice would be awesome!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I there even a difference between rod length in years? I know MCs changed but rods?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the brakes are not bleed, it may be difficult to feel if there is any clearance between the rod and the MC. However, you do need this clearance, to get the brakes working correctly. I suspect that since you can not feel a difference, that the rod may be adjusted too long. First thing I would do is to shorten the rod a lot. Then hopefully you will be able to feel when it contacts the MC. If you still can't, then pull the return spring off of the pedal. Between these two changes, you should be able to feel the clearance. I know that it sounds like a PITA, but you probably will not get the brakes to work correctly, until you get this clearance.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rod length is critical, you MUST have the clearance. IF rod is to long it does not let the excess fluid back into the reservoir (blocks the port) and brakes will get hard and lock up in just a few miles as heat expands the fluid at wheel cylinders....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, use adjustment procedure mentioned previously, it has to have the clearance...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: