Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noisy Empi muffler from China
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

I bought an Empi extractor muffler because the previous one rusted away. That new muffler is terrible. Sounds like a big hot rod. Not what I wanted on my 71 day camper.
Can I get a baffle somewhere that's similar to the chrome ones on a bug, but larger so I could cut off the pipe on my Chinese extractor and weld a baffle in. Looks like I'd need something with an approximate diameter of 1.6". Would that work ? Anyone have any ideas ? Trying to do this on a tight budget. Thanks

Crying or Very sad

Now I'm afraid to buy a fuel pump because it might be Chinese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

Every
Mistake
Passes
Inspection

Welcome to EMPI.. Your best bet is to buy a stock muffler. There are not any aftermarket mufflers that are worth a darn. Most are loud. Most crack or rust away quickly.

I went from a single muffler/header that was on a bus I bought to a stock muffler. OMG.. ssoo much quieter.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

Ever hear this: Don't throw good money after bad?

You can't un-empi an empi muffler. Bite the bullet, throw that POS on CL and buy a real muffler. Lesson learned.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

Weld a magnaflo on it.
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

I think I'll just go to a good muffler shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

EMPI haven't produced anything decent for many years. Stainless is the only way I'd go these days. Run a Vintage Speed one on my 55...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Having said that my brother has just fitted a nice stock exhaust to his bay and that sounds nice. Looks well made also so will see how it goes.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

and on the other side of this..somebody puts it on their car and...it's too quiet. Shocked I personaly dont like to hear anything but the sound system when Im driving unless Im standing on it. so mine needs to be freeflowing and quiet at cruise.
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Empi muffler from China Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
and on the other side of this..somebody puts it on their car and...it's too quiet. Shocked I personaly dont like to hear anything but the sound system when Im driving unless Im standing on it. so mine needs to be freeflowing and quiet at cruise.

Oh hell, I'm just satisfied to hear that the engine isn't making any WEIRD noises and that I'll get from point A to point B.
tick tick tick tick knock knock knock ..... BAM. Where am I ?
100 miles from nowhere
Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: