Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone installed the beetle version of the sidewinder exhaust on a splitbus? CarCraft has a raw 1-1/2" version for less that $300.
The above pix looks like there maybe some tweeking required to clear bumper bracket. Wondering if there maybe a fumes issue since it doesn't exit like the bus specific exhaust.
http://carcraftstore.com/sidewinder158exhaustsystem.aspx

Their product discription indicates that some people are installing them on splitbuses.
I need an exhaust for a 1600 that's getting a top end rebuild to 1700cc and that same exhaust will be reused on a mini stroker around 1900cc.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Has anyone installed the beetle version of the sidewinder exhaust on a splitbus? CarCraft has a raw 1-1/2" version for less that $300.
The above pix looks like there maybe some tweeking required to clear bumper bracket. Wondering if there maybe a fumes issue since it doesn't exit like the bus specific exhaust.
http://carcraftstore.com/sidewinder158exhaustsystem.aspx

Their product discription indicates that some people are installing them on splitbuses.
I need an exhaust for a 1600 that's getting a top end rebuild to 1700cc and that same exhaust will be reused on a mini stroker around 1900cc.

Thanks

I have the stainless one, and it is very good quality. But, getting it to work in a bus takes some cutting and bending on the apron Anxious. The #2 primary tube is the main offender. And if you leave the tail pipe in their exit location...wear ear plugs.

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost purchased one OCTO weekend.. Sounds like there's to many issues with this system to fully commit on spending $500 bucks! Leaks, rubbing, not fitting correctly, weak welds! It's probably the nicest looking "stock" system on the market and that's why I'm drawn to it, but till I read more positive posts than negative I'll wait for the next thing..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:
If I go with A1 again I will order it with the v/band clamp.....it was a pain removing the three bolts every time to remove muffler.

X2 on that! I'd also add that if I get another sidewinder it will be just the collector, then I will "graft" a smaller muffler to it. The MONDO muffler that usually comes with it is just too damn loud and annoying on long trips. Confused

I totally agree about the loudness of the Magnaflow muffler on the A1.
The header is great, but the muffler is too damn loud.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
markyb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: new VS muffler on a lowered T2 Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/tYA0Hz0iqFY

No problems with fitment on my lowered T2, I have dry-fit the breast plate and apron and found good clearance on all. The sound is excellent, of course I just upgraded from a 1641 single port to this 1776 dual port with a progressive carb.
Boy, am I glad that I bought the lowered version. There would have been trouble with the standard pipe.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: new VS muffler on a lowered T2 Reply with quote

markyb wrote:
http://youtu.be/tYA0Hz0iqFY

No problems with fitment on my lowered T2, I have dry-fit the breast plate and apron and found good clearance on all. The sound is excellent, of course I just upgraded from a 1641 single port to this 1776 dual port with a progressive carb.
Boy, am I glad that I bought the lowered version. There would have been trouble with the standard pipe.

That sounds awesome. It's now on my bucket list of things to buy for my bus.

Link
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issues were with the bumper itself having to be cut.
markyb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

I'll know more when I fit the bumper next week and post some pics of the finished work.

I swapped out the 4 bolts and nuts that connect the pipe to the muffler flange. I already had one rattle loose since the kit had no lock washers, so I used grade 8's with lockwashers and flange-head bolts. I figured now is the time to do it before everything is buttoned up.

I could see how there might be issues with the flange coming loose from the pipe as noted earlier in this thread, there was a slight gap on each of the flanges that had to be drawn in on the outer bolts when tightening. I'll keep an eye on it for any cracks that might show up.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

so, I ended up purchasing one of these exhaust systems despite my concerns of fitment and quality issues.

I have to say that the exhaust appears to be a very nice piece upon initial inspection and with only 400 miles on it.

I do have to say that the fitment left a lot to be desired, but I have to imagine this is because VintageSpeed is trying to make this exhaust adaptable to many different engine configurations. While I understand this from a manufacturing and fabrication standpoint, I do not think it is in their best interest. I think if they offered a couple different models, instead of just offering one with a ton of 'adjust-ability' it would result in a much better fitting product.

that being said, I could tell on mock up that I was going to have gasket sealing issues, so I went ahead and used some high-temp copper RTV on all the gaskets except at the heads, where I used some CB performance graphite crush gaskets.

the over all look is awesome, and I appreciate that there is a company offering a single left-exit tip exhaust that mimics the stock style..which is why I chose this exhaust. I am also very happy with the sound. Sounds nice and sporty at idle, but has zero drone or obnoxious volume at highway speeds.

I had zero fitment issues with the bumper or apron

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Any new info/input on your guys Vintage Speed exhausts? Sled do you still feel the same about it from your latest trip? Also with the engine pulled I've had a little time to think about upgrading mine (A1 sidewinder).. With OCTO being this weekend,, I might pull the trigger and pick one up. Also wanted to ask about the difference in the 2 stock style systems. Besides 38mm and 42mm, is the adjustable (engine size) style only for Buses running heater boxes? I don't plan on runner heat and my engine is 1776 61 Bus and I'm shooting for the 38mm header style. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Somewhat recently got back from a 4300 mile trip, yes. A LOT of miles on the open highway and I have to say I love this exhaust. I took my time fitting it and used sealant as mentioned and I have zero leaks. I LOVE it.

All of their can systems have the same adjustable design, regardless of heater boxes or j-tubes. The flanges they provided for heater box hookup left a lot to be desired so I just welded flanges on my heater boxes and they sealed up nicely.

For a very mild engine like a 1776 you will most likely not see any kind of performance difference between the a1 or VS. pick which ever one you like the look of most and want to afford.

I do have to say, having the tip exit out the back is much nicer than the turn-down tips on the sidewinders when ground clearance is not required.
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Any new info/input on your guys Vintage Speed exhausts?

I love mine. I've had it on since August 2015. I had no fitment issues or leaks. Just be sure to use Loctite on the threaded bungs on each side.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Has anyone running these attempted to tune with a wideband via the bungs on the muffler? I had crazy readings on my lm1 that made no sense on a 2276 w 44IDFs....I came to the conclusion that due to internal design of baffles, was t getting a good mixed signal? after much frustration went with plug reading and feel Rolling Eyes it was a lowered version in a 57 SC. The polished robot welded log was fancy but the rest was discusting! I made it fit and seal but the bends and welding looked like was done by some scab at Midas muffler Rolling Eyes oh ya and the pipe hit the pressed bumper and blows dirt like a mofo....you should see his engine bay Shocked
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
Has anyone running these attempted to tune with a wideband via the bungs on the muffler? I had crazy readings on my lm1 that made no sense on a 2276 w 44IDFs....I came to the conclusion that due to internal design of baffles, was t getting a good mixed signal? after much frustration went with plug reading and feel Rolling Eyes it was a lowered version in a 57 SC. The polished robot welded log was fancy but the rest was discusting! I made it fit and seal but the bends and welding looked like was done by some scab at Midas muffler Rolling Eyes oh ya and the pipe hit the pressed bumper and blows dirt like a mofo....you should see his engine bay Shocked

Josh can you post some pics? I was wondering on this lowered set up in a pressed bumper bus.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:

An LM1 was just used on mine last night and it was working fine. We used the right side bung.
'69 Bug
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

^^^ that's odd, readings were all over the map! Same sensor and meter were then used in my 55 rag 2332 in a proper merged collector bung and had zero issues Question

Eric, that was 2 summers ago and have douched my phone of pics dozens of times since. I think I posted a couple somewhere, I'll try and dig up.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
^^^ that's odd, readings were all over the map! Same sensor and meter were then used in my 55 rag 2332 in a proper merged collector bung and had zero issues Question

Eric, that was 2 summers ago and have douched my phone of pics dozens of times since. I think I posted a couple somewhere, I'll try and dig up.

Hmm, odd. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have the regular version for use with heater boxes...

And an update. Had mine for a while on my 1641SP single carb and loved it, and it just went on my new 1776DP dual carb and the tone is obviously different, and I still love it.
'69 Bug
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I got one of the lowered Bus ones last June or so and it bolted right up perfectly and sounds great. No issues yet, but haven't hooked up a wideband to it so don't know about that.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I use my lm-2 in left side Bung. No issues. It's installed currently.

Edit: I forgot to mention.. If the sensor cord going to the meter is bumped or not fully seated you will get wonky readings.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

how if installed in left does it know whats going on in right carb? we welded a 3rd bung in the start of the tail pipe and while it helped i think we were getting a contaminated reading due to fresh air reversion?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: