Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread Reply with quote

2.5" pipe.
I haven't installed it yet. I have short axles and 6" CMS wheels with I believe 2.5" backspacing with M&H 215/65 street-strip DOT tires.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
After running my 10-year-old Magnaflow muffler with the Wasp Stage 2 stepped header for two years, I decided to replace it with the correct tuned Wasp pipe and muffler. CIP1 shipped it promptly and it's a quality piece:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice to complete the kit ain't it? See if you can Re dyno it Neil and see if you get near the 13hp gain that's advertised. 4 or 5 hp tbh would be a nice increase.
Be prepared to rejet. I had to after installing mine. Idles went down a small increment for me. But then again, it could've been the crankfire or both.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread Reply with quote

So, I finally got around to measuring and test fitting the Wasp muffler. It took a few tries to figure out the best set-up for my 68 short-axle Beetle with 6" CMS wheels and M&H tires and also be able to clear the EMPI disc caliper. In the end I decided to add a 3.0 cm extention to the Wasp collector, and then bolt on the muffler. At this point I didn't want to cut or modify either the header or muffler. That might change in the future. I'm not sure if adding 3 cm will affect the tuned length of the pipe...hopefully not.

The muffler now clears the caliper bleed nipple by about 5 mm, which is the best I could do for now. Hopefully that accounts for any potential vibration:

I added a 3 cm tab to retain the pipe until I decide whether to weld the extension sleeve:

The Berg engine support should work, by using the lower stock hole and shortening the bar (as Jon showed earlier in this thread):

To clear the EMPI caliper, I had to switch to a banjo fitting and found the Red Horse brand at my local FLAPS:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use A1 Lately- Now JPM Wasp thread Reply with quote

Narrowed the Berg engine support and used the factory holes to mount the hangers. Had to thread the hangers 2 cm higher up, and then cut 4.5 cm off the ends. Elected to drill a 2 mm hole and use hitch pins, just to make sure the hangers don't jump out on bumpy roads or at the race track:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: