Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In a bind: Charging issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfrancescutti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: In a bind: Charging issue Reply with quote

Hi all

I just finished the first leg of a road trip in my '68 beetle. I drove from Victoria BC, down the Pacific coast then inland to Fresno. During the drive I ran into an issue. I'll do my best to describe the symptoms

Twice during the trip, after long stints of driving (>150 miles) the car wouldn't start. It appears the battery has gone flat. Ignition comes on, lights come on but no click or crank while trying to start. The lights go slightly dim when I try to crank and that leads me to the flat battery. The thing is after bump starting it one time and jump starting it the 2nd time, the car seems to be OK. After ~15 minutes of driving it starts fine.

I'm now sitting at my sister's breakfast table trying to figure out what to replace to get me the 1100 miles home. The car is sitting in her driveway with a flat battery for the third time. I'm leaving in 4 days so any expeditious help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Also, anyone in the Fresno area that could recommend where to get the necessary parts once I figure out what I need?

Cheers
Paul
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would lean toward bad solenoid or starter motor itself. If the battery were dead, you'd get taptaptaptaptap of the solenoid or the engine would turn over slowly. How long was the car sitting when it wouldn't start? Overnight? stop for gas? gas+dinner? If you have the means, try whacking the starter with a stick or non-conducting hammer. (don't be timid, the idea is to knock around the internals because it isn't making good contact). IF you do it while someone else is holding the key to "start": set the parking brake, chock the wheels when you crawl underneath, and make sure the car is not in gear! messing up one of those could cut the road trip short.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebring West, they are on Blackstone ave just north of McKinley. I'm in Fresno, PM Sent

http://www.sebringwest.com/parts.htm
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
pfrancescutti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've verified the ignition switch is working, moving onto the solenoid. Going to give it a mighty whack and see what happens.
pfrancescutti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whacking the starter solenoid proved fruitful. She fired right up, which is great but:

If it's just the starter solenoid then why did jumping it from a good Samaritan's car work?

Is changing the starter an easy driveway job? I've done it on several water cooled VWs but never on an ACVW.

Where can I find a new starter in Fresno?

Cheers
Paul
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrancescutti wrote:
Is changing the starter an easy driveway job?

Yes, quite easy. Get one that will be warrantied in B.C. though.

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Disconnect large wire to starter (13mm wrench) and pull off the small wire.
Remove the nut (17mm box or socket) by reaching around the fan shroud on the passenger side. Remove the one large nut on the starter from underneath (17mm wrench), support and lower the starter. I'm going to recommend you get a starter designated for an autostick bug, as those are self-supported, as then you don't have to deal with pulling, replacing the starter bushing in the transmission at all, and it's a little more powerful. There's no alignment or spacers to deal with, just bolt the new one back in.

Even places like O'Reilly and AutoZone will have starters, but I prefer "rebuilt by Bosch" (if still available) rather than a Bosch starter that has been rebuilt.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park on a hill.

take out battery

clean all connections

even the crusty ground to body

get underneath and do the same with ground strap(s)

all the grounds to charging system at or around regulator
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not even need a new starter. A worn starter bushing might be causing the solenoid plunger to bind.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-301-155

If you do replace the starter (non-autostick) , make sure to install a new bushing when you do.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
You may not even need a new starter. A worn starter bushing might be causing the solenoid plunger to bind.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-301-155

If you do replace the starter (non-autostick) , make sure to install a new bushing when you do.

He's away from home, doubt that he's able to pull/replace a starter bushing where he is.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is able to replace a starter where he is at, why wouldn't he be able to to replace a bushing ?
pfrancescutti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not convinced that the starter is the only problem.

I measured the battery voltage and I have 12.8V static, 11.9 while cranking and 13-13.3 when it's running and revving the engine. From what I understand, that's low for a charging voltage. The generator brushes "look" OK, is there a trick to determining if my problem is the generator or the regulator?

Cheers
Paul
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds OK. Regulator is only going to put out 14 volts when battery is badly discharged.
Hedjemunkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrancescutti wrote:
I measured the battery voltage and I have 12.8V static, 11.9 while cranking and 13-13.3 when it's running and revving the engine. From what I understand, that's low for a charging voltage. The generator brushes "look" OK, is there a trick to determining if my problem is the generator or the regulator?

Doesn't sound like a charging problem. You could have a sticky starter or the ignition is going. Mine liked to do the same thing. Lights would dim... But nothing to the starter. If I did turned it a few times it would catch.

I just bypassed the ignition until I could put in a new one. Still needed the key to run the car... I installed a push button for the starter.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrancescutti wrote:
I measured the battery voltage and I have 12.8V static, 11.9 while cranking and 13-13.3 when it's running and revving the engine.

That does sound a bit low on the charging rate. Is that measured at the battery terminals (not the posts)? Try taking the same measurement from the B+ terminal of the VR.

Follow testing instructions here on Speedy Jims page:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm
Running the test will bypass the VR and force the generator to max output. If you get a reading up above 30v then your generator is probably okay. You can suspect your VR.
You could try cleaning all the contact points on the VR and see if that improves performance.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that when you jump start the car, you are getting FULL power. With our older bugs, the wiring and connections get weaker. So even if your battery is "good", you might not be getting all that juice where it needs to. It is a long way from the battery to the ignition switch and then a long way back to the starter selonoid for that power to go.

My starter would "stick" too when it got hot, such as after a long drive. Whacking it with the hammer would do the trick. But around town, it was fine.
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What carl said ^
sometimes, when it's still kinda working, the extra amperage available is enough to overcome the partially failed part's shortcomings.

Whacking the starter and then it works could mean a few failure points within: solenoid sticking, solenoid not making good contact (burned spot on contacts, impact knocks it to a clean spot), bad/worn brushes, bad commutator ring, and probably other's I don't know. Without removing it and rebuilding it with new solenoid, bushings, bearings, brushes, cleaning/checking the commutator, etc, the solution is to just replace the whole thing.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I replaced my starter when it happened a couple of times to me.

I also installed a "hard start" relay. This allows all those yards of wire to just carry enough current to operate the relay. And then the relay dumps power right from the battery to the starter selonoid. Every short distance that way.
pfrancescutti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
pfrancescutti wrote:
Is changing the starter an easy driveway job?

Yes, quite easy. Get one that will be warrantied in B.C. though.

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Disconnect large wire to starter (13mm wrench) and pull off the small wire.
Remove the nut (17mm box or socket) by reaching around the fan shroud on the passenger side. Remove the one large nut on the starter from underneath (17mm wrench), support and lower the starter. I'm going to recommend you get a starter designated for an autostick bug, as those are self-supported, as then you don't have to deal with pulling, replacing the starter bushing in the transmission at all, and it's a little more powerful. There's no alignment or spacers to deal with, just bolt the new one back in.

Even places like O'Reilly and AutoZone will have starters, but I prefer "rebuilt by Bosch" (if still available) rather than a Bosch starter that has been rebuilt.

Hello all

I replaced my starter last night. It only took 20 minutes thanks to the instructions given by Cusser.

I did the unthinkable and bought a cheaper brand starter with the intent that it would get me home and I'll rebuild my original one when I get there.

I bought the starter at http://www.sebringwest.com/parts.htm and they gave me good confidence in the unit I bought.

Anyway, she fires right up now and I'm a bit more confident about setting out tomorrow morning for the 1100 miles we have to get home.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers
Paul
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that new starter stays working, leave it installed !!!

Also, learn how to push-start your VW, you at least won't get stranded by a bad starter again. Happy drive home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: