Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New heads open for cooling
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: New heads open for cooling Reply with quote

I am building two motors at once. A 1776 for my beetle and a 2007 for my baywindow bus. the 1776 has stock ported heads and the 2007 has 044 cnc w/40x35 valves. As you can see from photos the stock head have much more light shinning thru. Can I open the 044 heads up w/out drilling thru to intake ports? Seems theses heads will run much hotter w/out the airflow. The small holes ,letting the little amount of air thru where drilled out by me. I need some kind of idea or pics how much I can open up these 044 heads for more cooling without doing damage!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recomend the 044 for a bus. You are right, the lack of flow threw holes are a problem for cooling. It can be drilled out if you know what you are doing but you must be careful to not make a mistake.

Air need to flow for it to cool on both the intake and the exhaust side of the cooling system. I would just get different heads. Read the last few pages of the nearby thread titled mofoco 050 heads. It covers this topic.

The 044 heads are good for a weekend warrior toy, not a bus.

Dan
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: cooling heads Reply with quote

One thing I learned from this post and its lack of response is the fact that this is an over looked subject. Seems only the most serious consider this an important factor when building their motors. Everyone talks about cooling tins,flaps and thermostats, but not enough attention to the most important part, the heads! I purchased a set of stock p&p heads from Gene Berg for my fuel efficient super beetle and little did I know that when they sell a set of worked heads, your getting porting of the cooling fins too! Wow, know one even advertises this as an option. Just goes to show you get what you pay for! I also bought a set from cb performance that you can see in pics, won't run cool because of the castings.WTF! Pretty much worthless, for anything(weekend toy?) you serious Dan? I live in Hawaii so cooling is #one problem w/these acvw. I also cant shipp these heads back for cooling porting because of shipping cost. Even inter island expensive.
I know it my responsibility to cover these issues and make right decisions, That why I try and use reputable sellers. I even mentioned to them that this was for a bus, they didnt care, even though they could of made more money on labor, or selling me good heads I can use. I wish I had known to buy mofo,or steve tims and paid the extra $100, Chump change at this point!
Bottom line though, do your homework! I just a carpenter by day and luckily this a total labor of love, but my pocket are very shallow. So I guess I going to try and open up these heads myself and was really hoping I could get some pics and advise on how to open them up safety.
Perhaps someone done the exact same heads and has pics? Any help would be appreciated at this point and I suppose if I dont get any advise I can sell these heads to some unsuspecting vw'er(I dont like that thought), and buy more appropriate heads for my bus. thanks for letting me vent too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Heads Reply with quote

Have you checked with CB Performance? They are really good about communication and I bet if you email them with your concern they will get back to you quickly.

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
It can be drilled out if you know what you are doing

Porting the cooling fins is pretty simple. There's no need to make the guy worry needlessly.

Get your long drill bits and long small dia files and spend the time to open up the passages. Also look at the 8 large fins around the chambers. There is always casting flaws blocking air flow near the exh port flange. Have your stock head to compare. All you have to be concerned with is that you don't poke through to the intake or exh port.
Look at a stock head between the chambers on the bottom side. There's usually a steel plate with tabs wedged between the fins to deflect the cooling air into the fins. These plates are missing from the CB heads so you should make your own and wedge them in place.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berg did not port the fins he just used the 040 casting back in the day which had good flow threw. Not sure what they use know as the 040 is NLA. I just picked up some AA 043 style china heads from Steve Tims and they also have good threw and they are what He recommends for a daylie driver.

Many parts sellers will sell you something wrong for your app. Buy or get advice from engine builders not parts sellers. Even that is not fool proof.

Dan
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big a difference do those tins make? 2 degrees? 30 degrees? just curious
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Heads Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Have you checked with CB Performance? They are really good about communication and I bet if you email them with your concern they will get back to you quickly.

Jeff

I emailed them myself about 3 hours ago about this matter.....as I am thinking of purchasing their super pros. Still waiting on a reply. I'll chime in when they get back to me.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: 044 heads Reply with quote

thanks for replies and suggestions. Obviously the 044 casting is different from the stock heads in port size and other differnces, which make it dificult to use as guide, thats why I was hoping for exact places to open. Unless I can find actcul pics for refrencing I'm not about to wreck these heads. I took the advise of Jpaull and contacted cbpreforance and offered to pay them if they split shipping to hawaii. we'll see how it works out.
One thing for sure is those heads are not going on my motor like that.
And thanks fivelugshort about deflector plates as I totally spaced that too.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 044 heads Reply with quote

toopaul wrote:
thanks for replies and suggestions. Obviously the 044 casting is different from the stock heads in port size and other differnces, which make it dificult to use as guide, thats why I was hoping for exact places to open. Unless I can find actcul pics for refrencing I'm not about to wreck these heads. I took the advise of Jpaull and contacted cbpreforance and offered to pay them if they split shipping to hawaii. we'll see how it works out.
One thing for sure is those heads are not going on my motor like that.
And thanks fivelugshort about deflector plates as I totally spaced that too.

I just lrdered mine from awesome powder coat. Only $12.00 and small so they can be sent to you in an envelope. Cheap shipping.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 044 heads Reply with quote

toopaul wrote:
Unless I can find actcul pics for refrencing I'm not about to wreck these heads.

You're making this into a bigger problem than it is. Just get in there and start porting. The very worst thing that could happen is if you poke through to a port. If that happens, just get a shop to TIG weld the hole shut.
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: 044 heads Reply with quote

ok contacted Mark at cb performance and he sending me pics of exactly where to drill and file for cooling flow thru. Ill post pics of what he sends me in case anyone else interested. Thanks again for you guys advise.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 044 heads Reply with quote

toopaul wrote:
ok contacted Mark at cb performance and he sending me pics of exactly where to drill and file for cooling flow thru. Ill post pics of what he sends me in case anyone else interested. Thanks again for you guys advise.

Nice, I'd love to see the pictures. And post a before and after of your heads.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: 044 heads Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise Bruce but I dont roll like that. I do high end wood working and if I lived by that rule I wouldn't get work.It easy enough to get proper instruction from here(samba) or the manufacturer. It obvious I neewbe and just learning the fundamentals of building motors. I also have about $6000 into this motor by the time i'm done and thats a huge investment for me. But I really appreciate your input and take it as a complement that you think I should just 'start porting'. I also have an acvw builder helping me but I trying to stay on the learning curve to make as easy as possible for him, like I say this a labor of love. Thanks again!
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter to clean those out much, most of the coolings done through the large fins anyway and aluminum will wick the heat? (this was a question)

To see how thin the walls are might try making a caliper out of about #12 wire soldered to a hinge made from two washers and flat piece of metal for scale to mark at zero when points touch, can bend wire to fit erregular shapes. I would just eye ball it myself ? . Looks like theres lots of room where the exhaust port curves to side...

What do I know, haven't even started assembly of my motor:(
'82 Toyota 4x4 5sp PU lb, daily driver
Many Corvairs /& 4 rag tops
'63 Chevy 20 Truck w/4sp 292
Want, white plastic end pieces for dash grab handle
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: 044 heads Reply with quote

I have a good friend that is a dentist and they have a digital 3d system for creating teeth in the office. They use this little camera probe and take thousands of pics for creating a tooth and put it all into a computer that builds a 3d tooth,punch a button and their cnc machine grinds your finished tooth then and there. No more need for temporary caps and waiting weeks for labs to make your porcelain tooth. It all done with high density plastic.
my friend recommended bring my head in and we can make a 3d pick of head showing inside and outside and the ability to rotate it via cad!
seems like this could be a good tool for porting.I think Im going to try this along w/info from manufacture ,see what happens.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 3mm shank carbide burrs for woodcarving.
toopaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: 044 heads Reply with quote

here what cb sent
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also do some drilling where the left and right head stud nuts go, look at the stock head to see what I mean.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: