Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/PA/OH
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/PA/OH Reply with quote

Hello! I have been searching for about a month on craigslist/ebay/pennswoods.net with very few reasonably priced manx style dune buggies. I'm looking for a ready to drive buggy that I can do work to to make it my own (paint/rollcage/etc). If anyone knows of someone that is more local to me (within 400 miles) that could help me locate a buggy, any help would be much appreciated. I live on the southwestern point on NY. Thanks.... p.s. this site is awesome just wish there were more buggies in the east!!!!!
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

mlundsten1 wrote:
Hello! I have been searching for about a month on craigslist/ebay/pennswoods.net with very few reasonably priced manx style dune buggies. I'm looking for a ready to drive buggy that I can do work to to make it my own (paint/rollcage/etc). If anyone knows of someone that is more local to me (within 400 miles) that could help me locate a buggy, any help would be much appreciated. I live on the southwestern point on NY. Thanks.... p.s. this site is awesome just wish there were more buggies in the east!!!!!

Plenty here in the east we saw a bunch of almost ready to go buggies in NJ last summer. I say almost because what some would drive on the street I won't. Nice shine on the glass with abortions hidden below.

Of course reasonably priced is a matter of opinion. What price range are you looking at?

AMAC

Last edited by AMAC1680 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

Mine will be going up for sale sometime this Spring. I need to finish the new Rebel Wiring Harness and get it inspected then it gets sold to finance other toys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllzu-QT86Q
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

AMAC1680w I'm looking to spend anywhere from $2000-$5000 to start off, would like to have less than 6500 into it when all is said and done. People are asking like $2500 for rusted out vw chassis with no title or vin with a tub full of holes. I guess I don't know 100% what is a realistic price for a road worthy buggy.

Axitech how much are you going to be asking for your buggy?
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

Your in a tight price range. At the 5000.00 end the bug should run and have the basic street stuff close to correct.

IMO it's all about the pan, unless it's a Manx or a truly rare body. Years ago the body condition was a big deal but after decades of neglect now it seems good pans are hard to find. Shiny tubs I see a lot of.

I tried to come in under 6000.00 and I'm now in 7k with more to follow. I found a very clean pan, just surface rust, with a trashed motor and OK body. Took it apart and had the motor and trans rebuilt. I Replaced everything from the shifter back. New brakes all around and ball joints up front.

Im not a real mechanical guy and I didn't do a restore as much as a rebuild. I was still able to take it apart and get it back together .With the stock 1600 it's been reliable as a hammer as a daily driver.

I quess my point is it may be worth your while to start with a more beat up buggy. At least you'll know when and how things were done. Unless you know the builder or he has a rep anything could have been do to the old buggy.

One more thing. The term "just rebuilt" always brings up the question. By whom, when and with what parts.

Just my .02. All the best with the search.

BTW if you want the best buggy in the US Sade up your pennies for this.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/5379078010.html

Funny stuff!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

Looks like I'm just guna have to take my time and keep looking until I find something worth putting some time and money into. Thanks for your .02 !!!

$25,000, that guy is on crack!
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

This past summer a couple of buddies found nice buggies in what thay call the new "honey hole", over 55 communities. Both were good deals for both buyer and seller. Both sellers were well into their 80s and were willing to sell the cars that just sat.

AMAC
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

That makes sense. Now I just need to find an over 55 community with someone that has a buggy. Unfortunately it's probably easier said than done lol.
marty1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

hang in there and im with you on buying a buggy. Im in Upstate NY(Rochester) and just keep my eyes open along the east coast. I figure it will be just all my other cars- right time,right $$,right ass jsut for that right seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

mlundsten1 wrote:
AMAC1680w I'm looking to spend anywhere from $2000-$5000 to start off, would like to have less than 6500 into it when all is said and done. People are asking like $2500 for rusted out vw chassis with no title or vin with a tub full of holes. I guess I don't know 100% what is a realistic price for a road worthy buggy.

Axitech how much are you going to be asking for your buggy?

Title / VIN are no major deal, as many states will require the buggy to be registered as Custom / Special Construction / Home Built / etc., & require a new state-issued VIN.

bnc
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

In NY the buggy can be titled as the vw bug the frame is from as long as you have a title and the vin plate. Only thing that is changed is for insurance is that it's listed as modified.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

Trolled CL today. There's an Imp and a generic buggy both in the general Philly region. At the high end of your price tier, but look like they are at least running and driving.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

mlundsten1 wrote:
In NY the buggy can be titled as the vw bug the frame is from as long as you have a title and the vin plate. Only thing that is changed is for insurance is that it's listed as modified.

What VIN plate? VW stamps ID number in pan.

bnc
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

Scratch the word plate from my post..... As long as you have a chassis with the vin that matches the Title. My bad
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

Quote:

I believe that they also had a small metal plate with the VIN on them didn't they?
mlundsten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

The only reason I said vin plate is because I was reading about how people will build/buy chassis with no title then cut the vin off a titled but possibly ruined chassis and weld it onto the new one. Thus making it a "plate" of metal with the vin on it..... Vin Plate lol
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

No less than $6k
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

390 miles, $400 http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/pts/5428922205.html

However, if I was looking for something exceptional, I'd make the 2K mile roundtrip to get this one. I've driven from Abilene TX to Minneapolis and back to pick up a good project Gas is cheap
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1874292

Last edited by BL3Manx on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

And there is another in the classifieds here in TN for $800
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: I Need help finding Manx style vw dune buggies near NY/P Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:

I believe that they also had a small metal plate with the VIN on them didn't they?

The riveted metal dash plate started ~'68-'69

I'll be putting a project buggy on the market soon - completing rolling chassis work (same one shown in Gallery) & getting body to initial primer stage. Has adjustable front beam, air shock front setup, 4-wheel disc brakes, Porsche 944 turbo alloy rear trailing arms, new brake lines & hoses, new master cylinder, windshield, seats, single rollbar, Porsche Cookie Cutter wheels & new tires, etc.

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: