Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

timing problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: timing problems Reply with quote

'55 engine in '57 bug

The pulley single mark (7.5 degrees) doesn't match the dizzy rotor position.

I used the dowel in the #1 cylinder technique to verify TDC

With the pulley mark at the case split, and using a static light to set the points at just the open spot, the rotor isn't near the notch in the dizzy case, maybe 45 degrees off....

I'm not sure what is up!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Distributor drive gear installed off a tooth or two? You'll need to remove the distributor to verify.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Hmmm....I'm used to '71 landcruiser dizzys where there are only two options on the gears. I'll pull it and take a hard look

Thanks
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Rechecked everything.

The dizzy gear has not been disconnected, so it can't be off a few teeth. The gear is a go-no go, with offset 'teeth' to mesh with the dizzy drive so you can't stick it back in 180 degrees off.

Point gap is correct.

Static timing seems OK

BUT the dizzy rotor is still about 45 degrees off from the notch.

It ran before I started this "tune-up" but now won't start. Turns over but won't catch.
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

turns out my crank pulley was put on 180 off
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

How can you put a crank pulley on wrong? Do your pulley have an adhesive timing ring on the pulley?
I've never seen a crank pulley that had more than one slot for the woodruff key.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

ignorance on my part...aparently the pulley is limited to how it's attached...the gear it meshes with was put on wrong
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm completely confused. I guess you got it running so that's good! A picture will really help out here. There is a gear on your crank pulley?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

the drive gear for the dizzy was apparently put on a few teeth off.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Its just to adjust the dizzy so the rotor points at the mark.
Dont make a problem out of it.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Ok, gotcha. So just set the engine up at #1 TDC, making sure that you are at TDC. Where ever the distributor rotor is pointing at is now the #1 spark plug wire on the cap.
I've tried to pull several distributor drives out of the case to correct that problem. Sometimes they come out easy with the puller tool...sometimes they won't budge. If it's not too far off and your vacuum line will still connect (I'm assuming you still have the metal line) it isn't an issue.
jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Make sure the fuel pump drive pin is removed, before trying to pull the distro drive... Wink
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

Follow this...even when if the distr drive gear is off, once you find TDC you can properly time.

Properly setting the gear is best, but not necessary

Kjell Roar wrote:
Its just to adjust the dizzy so the rotor points at the mark.
Dont make a problem out of it.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: timing problems Reply with quote

jdub63 wrote:
Make sure the fuel pump drive pin is removed, before trying to pull the distro drive... Wink

Also, once the distributor is out and the fuel pump rod is out, be cautious about rotating the pulley/crankshaft. That brass gear on the crank is very easy to get chewed up by the distributor drive gear if the drive gear walks up the shaft its in due to the engine being rotated. Found this out the hard way.

Edit: this may be less of an issue or a non-issue with the side-mounted fuel pump on the 36hp. It is VERY much an issue with later engines. Sorry for the mis-information!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: